News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Corridor H

Started by CanesFan27, September 20, 2009, 03:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seicer

It's pretty flat up there (relatively).

bluecountry

Quote from: Rothman on August 31, 2023, 11:38:10 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on August 31, 2023, 11:30:16 AM
Quote from: SP Cook on August 30, 2023, 03:42:07 PM
https://wvmetronews.com/2023/08/30/doh-will-evaluate-route-to-avoid-blackwater-canyon-on-corridor-h/

WV gives into the BANANA groups.  The latest tactic is to propose route changes, which set off new permitting, which they can then object to and tie up in court for years.

Way past time to save lives and spur development.

The Volvo-driving crowd from the east coast can now get to Davis and Thomas on an improved route. That's as far as the road needs to be built. No reason to connect it to Parsons, Elkins, Buckhannon, Weston and points westward. /sarcasm
"We sneer at tourists while wanting to attract them for their money," moans one of the poorest states in the country.
Yea really.
The road is NOT needed, this a lightly traveled corridor, no reason to spend limited $$ to degrade the environment.

The Ghostbuster

I don't think Corridor H supporters would want a gap to permanently remain between Kerens and Davis. Given the money and effort put into building Corridor H, I think it should be completed as proposed. If there is one portion that may never be expanded to four lanes, it is the portion from Wardensville eastward.

Bitmapped

Quote from: sprjus4 on September 08, 2023, 12:17:45 AM
Quote from: seicer on September 07, 2023, 03:47:59 PM
- I'm curious as to why a trumpet interchange is proposed for WV 32 in Davis. Why not just a conventional diamond interchange? This trumpet interchange will feed into old WV 93 and motorists will have the contend with a 90-degree turn.
My guess is elevation difference.

The trumpet is an attempt to mollify those complaining about Corridor H serving to divide Thomas and Davis. They're trying to minimize the visual impact of the highway by moving the ramps to a side road.

seicer

Regarding the perception that Corridor H is underutilized, this concern has been raised about many other corridors as well. In my research on various corridors such as Corridor L (US 19), Corridor G (US 119), Corridor D in Ohio (OH 32), Corridor Q in Kentucky (US 460), Corridor B (US 23), Corridor T (NY 17), and Corridor U (US 15), I found similar sentiments.

However, it's important to note that traffic counts aren't the sole reason for the development of these corridors. For instance, Corridor H sees over 24,000 vehicles per day (VPD) at its westernmost point, 11,700 VPD near Elkins, and 4,400 VPD approaching the Allegheny Front. It would not be fair to judge the highway's low traffic counts east of Elkins at this juncture because it has glaring gaps in its completion. Accessing some ski resorts from I-79, for instance, is still easier to do via US 33 than US 48; others will always be more accessible from US 33 but were made easier to get to via US 48 elsewhere. Furthermore, safety, especially concerning truck routes, plays a significant role. In the western segments of Corridor H, trucks constitute 11% of the traffic. Economic development and the goal of providing all regions with equal access to dependable transport networks are other influential factors. Indeed, the ADHS highway corridors are crucial to the mission of the Appalachian Regional Commission.

As for the environmental impact of Corridor H, it's relatively minimal. In areas where many believe the highway encroaches on "pristine" ecosystems, the land has already been altered significantly due to coal strip mining, timber harvesting, and other developmental activities. For instance, east of Davis towards the Allegheny Front, the route–though a matter of concern for environmentalists–follows the path of the existing WV 93, which was not that old of a road. This section also passes through areas previously mined. Additionally, west of Thomas, the highway will intersect with land historically used for extensive mining and timbering, marked by remnants like beehive coke ovens that were highly polluting. While this doesn't negate the need for careful construction measures, it does provide a more balanced perspective on the project's environmental implications.

The development and debate around Corridor H illustrate the complexities of regional development, especially when balancing economic, environmental, and societal needs.

Corridor H, being the most studied roadway in the state, showcases the importance and impact a single infrastructure project can have on an entire region. While the original alignment of US 33 might have served its purpose at the time, shifting development priorities, ecological concerns, and regional growth necessitated a re-evaluation. The new terrain northward then became a viable option.

My personal observation of the Davis/Thomas area over the past two decades highlights the transformative power of infrastructure. Towns like Thomas, once dwindling coal communities similar to many in the southwest of the state, and Davis, a timber-based town, were in decline. Their primary economic draw centered on what little tourism there was up there at the time, specifically Blackwater Falls and the ski resorts.

However, with the improved accessibility provided by Corridor H, previously under-recognized areas like Dolly Sods, Canaan Valley, and the National Forest have seen a surge in visitors and interest. Thomas is completely full of shops in a renovated downtown, and Davis is seeing a lot of new construction. This influx has been a double-edged sword. On the one hand, property values are on the rise, and out-of-state investments have increased. This has brought economic vitality, opportunities, and growth that otherwise would not have existed. On the other hand, these changes come with their own set of challenges, such as potential overdevelopment and loss of the area's intrinsic character.

It'll be interesting to see how much more Corridor H will transform those two mountain towns and Elkins, Parsons, Moorefield, and Wardensville, all of which are seeing a lot of new investment over the next decade.

SP Cook

seicer

The Coalfields Expressway's completion to Mullens is a testament to how transportation infrastructure can act as a catalyst for development, even in areas that have experienced devastation, like the floods of 2001 in Mullens. The town's trajectory from destruction to stagnation and finally to redevelopment might be less dramatic than what's seen in places like Thomas or Davis, but the change is still significant, especially considering the region's economic challenges.

Proximity to significant attractions or resources can amplify the effects of such infrastructure. In this case, the Hatfield-McCoy trail system provides an added incentive for development and tourism.

It's interesting to note the disparity in public response between two major infrastructure projects like Corridor H and the Coalfields Expressway. While Corridor H faced a lot of controversy from certain groups, the extension of the Coalfields Expressway to Mullens (and now to Pineville) encountered little resistance.

The Ghostbuster

Little resistance but being constructed at a snail's pace. Not unlike the US 52 King Coal Highway. At least Corridor H will eventually be completed (hopefully). The jury is still out on the other two.

hbelkins

Quote from: bluecountry on September 10, 2023, 09:24:23 AM
Quote from: Rothman on August 31, 2023, 11:38:10 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on August 31, 2023, 11:30:16 AM
Quote from: SP Cook on August 30, 2023, 03:42:07 PM
https://wvmetronews.com/2023/08/30/doh-will-evaluate-route-to-avoid-blackwater-canyon-on-corridor-h/

WV gives into the BANANA groups.  The latest tactic is to propose route changes, which set off new permitting, which they can then object to and tie up in court for years.

Way past time to save lives and spur development.

The Volvo-driving crowd from the east coast can now get to Davis and Thomas on an improved route. That's as far as the road needs to be built. No reason to connect it to Parsons, Elkins, Buckhannon, Weston and points westward. /sarcasm
"We sneer at tourists while wanting to attract them for their money," moans one of the poorest states in the country.
Yea really.
The road is NOT needed, this a lightly traveled corridor, no reason to spend limited $$ to degrade the environment.

The whole point of the ADHS is to induce traffic.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

machpost

I drove from DC to Davis and back last weekend, and that ~20 mile stretch of 2-lane road between Strasburg and Wardensville was agonizingly slow going with the amount of traffic going through there these days. I think I averaged maybe 30 MPH in both directions, having to follow a tour bus, tractor trailers and some good ol' Sunday drivers. A truck lane or two would be nice at the very least.

sprjus4

Quote from: machpost on September 19, 2023, 12:59:54 PM
I drove from DC to Davis and back last weekend, and that ~20 mile stretch of 2-lane road between Strasburg and Wardensville was agonizingly slow going with the amount of traffic going through there these days. I think I averaged maybe 30 MPH in both directions, having to follow a tour bus, tractor trailers and some good ol' Sunday drivers. A truck lane or two would be nice at the very least.
West Virginia is planning to build the corridor out to the state line as a four lane limited access divided highway (with intersections), but I wouldn't expect anything from Virginia for quite a time.

Hopefully the completion of Corridor H in West Virginia in the near future will pressure VDOT to study widening US-48 to 4 lanes, or to construct a new alignment connecting into I-81... and study is being pretty generous.

VDOT cannot even get funding to widen I-81 to six lanes besides from the mini few mile project near I-66 - when it is bogged down with truck traffic.

seicer

The last few times I've been on the Virginia segment of US 48, it was at night. While the lanes are wide enough, there are numerous long grades and steep descents that make it fun to drive in a car, but much less so if you are driving a commercial vehicle or in an RV (speaking from experience). It's also a speed trap. On my last drive through there, I saw 3 state police cars that had vehicles pulled over.

I do remember driving it during the day some years back when the Wardensville segment had just opened, and US 48 in Virginia was a crawl. Not consistently slow, but that 20 or so mile stretch took twice as long to drive because of turning vehicles, trucks, and a slew of cars.

1995hoo

Not a lot of good passing zones on that segment, either–or at least, not a lot of them that you'll ever actually get a chance to use given how busy the road is. If you want to try to pass, you have to be extremely aggressive about it.

Other than alleviating traffic, though, I'm not sure what benefit there is to Virginia of widening or replacing that road, beyond maybe adding a few stretches of three-laning to allow for climbing lanes or making it easier to pass. It seems like major improvements would primarily benefit the Counties That Refer to Themselves as West Virginia.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hbelkins

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 20, 2023, 11:32:26 AM
Not a lot of good passing zones on that segment, either–or at least, not a lot of them that you'll ever actually get a chance to use given how busy the road is. If you want to try to pass, you have to be extremely aggressive about it.

Other than alleviating traffic, though, I'm not sure what benefit there is to Virginia of widening or replacing that road, beyond maybe adding a few stretches of three-laning to allow for climbing lanes or making it easier to pass. It seems like major improvements would primarily benefit the Counties That Refer to Themselves as West Virginia.

The ADHS system is supposed to be a regional one.

In what way did I-76 benefit Nebraska?

seicer

There is a public informational workshop tomorrow for the Wardensville-Virginia segment.

2023 Alignment

This calls for an intersection with an on-ramp west of Wardensville, a full interchange at CR 23/10, an intersection at CR 5/1, and a final tie-in with US 48 at the border. It doesn't look like there will be much of a stub for the continuation of the expressway east. A connector from WV 55 to US 48 near the border was eliminated, too.

tmoore952

Quote from: seicer on September 20, 2023, 10:05:36 AM
The last few times I've been on the Virginia segment of US 48, it was at night. While the lanes are wide enough, there are numerous long grades and steep descents that make it fun to drive in a car, but much less so if you are driving a commercial vehicle or in an RV (speaking from experience). It's also a speed trap. On my last drive through there, I saw 3 state police cars that had vehicles pulled over.

I do remember driving it during the day some years back when the Wardensville segment had just opened, and US 48 in Virginia was a crawl. Not consistently slow, but that 20 or so mile stretch took twice as long to drive because of turning vehicles, trucks, and a slew of cars.

The Virginia stretch is something I would probably avoid driving at night unless it was absolutely necessary. I used to feel much differently when I was younger. Over the last couple decades, I've had too many run-ins with deer (both collisions and near-collisions) to try to drive fast (over the speed limit) on it. To be fair, none of this has actually happened to me on that particular stretch of US 48 since I haven't driven it at night, but it's got a lot of wooded areas, and I just won't take chances like that anymore. And so I'm one of the ones letting people pass.

That and the WV parts are beautiful stretches of road scenery-wise. WV more so, since on the expressway parts you are above the trees, rather than under them.

Rothman

Quote from: hbelkins on September 20, 2023, 02:48:09 PM

Connected Omaha to Denver
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

The Ghostbuster

What about the portion of US 48 between the Virginia state line and Interstate 81? Will that portion also be under construction next year, with a completion date of 2031? Or will we have to wait longer for Virginia to widen their segment of Corridor H?

74/171FAN

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 20, 2023, 07:00:41 PM
What about the portion of US 48 between the Virginia state line and Interstate 81? Will that portion also be under construction next year, with a completion date of 2031? Or will we have to wait longer for Virginia to widen their segment of Corridor H?

Yeah, I am not sure VDOT has discussed anything in relation to Corridor H beyond signing US 48 along VA 55.  So yeah, it is not getting built any time soon.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Mapmikey

Virginia to my knowledge has not even studied this route for improvement.  It has also yet to appear on their long range VTRANS documents they update every 5 years.

froggie

Quote from: Mapmikey on September 20, 2023, 07:37:30 PM

Virginia to my knowledge has not even studied this route for improvement.  It has also yet to appear on their long range VTRANS documents they update every 5 years.

They have.  I don't recall where I found it or what I did with it, but there was an alignment study done sometime in the 1990s or early 2000s.

seicer

With the intense opposition to the project in that Virginia county, VDOT could twin the existing route with less impact. It's not an awful alignment and although the grades may be steep or long, having an extra lane to maneuver could solve some of its biggest issues. I also don't see VDOT doing anything with it with many other projects underway across the state.

Mapmikey

Quote from: froggie on September 20, 2023, 09:03:58 PM
Quote from: Mapmikey on September 20, 2023, 07:37:30 PM

They have.  I don't recall where I found it or what I did with it, but there was an alignment study done sometime in the 1990s or early 2000s.

I found an early 1990s document that has alternatives considered and a 404 permit for Corr H from Elkins to I-81 - see pg. 687 here: https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=ien.35556030096713&seq=687&view=1up
It mentions Virginia alignments were considered and some eliminated, but descriptions of the alignments they keep have no Virginia alignments...more research is necessary.

The 2016 Shenandoah County Comprehensive Plan only says VDOT should keep an eye on VA 55 traffic west of I-81.

The Ghostbuster

Widening existing US 48 to four lanes in Virginia would still require the removal of homes and businesses in some locations, so such an undertaking would be tricky. I expect US 48 in Virginia will be left alone until/if a new alignment is funded and constructed.

hbelkins

Quote from: Rothman on September 20, 2023, 05:01:43 PM

Quote from: hbelkins on September 20, 2023, 02:48:09 PM

Connected Omaha to Denver

Similarly, completing US 48 would connect the inland port at Front Royal to points west.

If the traffic increases on the Virginia portion to the point where congestion or accidents become problematic, it will force Virginia's hand eventually.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.