News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

UK oddities

Started by HighwayMaster, May 02, 2012, 05:13:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HighwayMaster

This is odd. The M25 motorway from J4 to J5 is multiplexed with the A21 road. Is this the only place in the UK that has such a multiplex (excluding Ax and Ax(M) M.P.'s)? :confused:
Life is too short not to have Tim Hortons donuts.

english si

There's lots of them.

In numerical order and keeping to one- and two-digit A roads, here's what I have off the top of my head:

A5: M1 J4-9; M54 J5-7
A8: M9 J1-M8 J8
A10: M11 J11-14 (and from there along the A14 briefly)
A11: M11 J4-9A (beginning at the A12. you could consider these two separate roads called A11 that were once linked with a middle section)
A15: M180 J4-5
A20: M20 J9-10; M20 J12-13
A21: M25 J4-5
A30: M5 J29-31
A31: M3 J10-M27 J1
A33: M3 J9-14
A34: M40 J9-M42 J4 (could consider two roads that were once linked with a middle section)
A38: M5 J27-31
A41: M40 J9-M42 J5
A43: M1 J15-15A (from J15 concurrent with A45)
A45: M1 J15-16
A46: M69 (whole road) M1 J21-21A, M5 possibly
A48: M4 J42-44
A50: M1 J22-24
A61: M621 J5-7
A63: M1 J45-46
A66: A1(M) J56-57 (leaves as A66(M). also concurrent with the A1 south of there)
A90: M90 J1-11
A91: M90 J7-8

HighwayMaster

Whoa! I guess so! I guess that's the most notable one in Greater London that I could find.
Life is too short not to have Tim Hortons donuts.

Road Hog

I've learned (in reverse fashion, actually) that A-roads correspond roughly with U.S. highways here and often parallel and multiplex with M-roads, which of course are equivalents of our I-roads. :)

The fact that some A-roads are built to motorway standards and get an M-suffix adds to the confusion. I suppose by those standards, we would have U.S. 75 (I) from downtown Dallas to the Red River. Actually, that's not a horrible idea.

Bickendan

US 26 (I) in Portland. Hmm.

on_wisconsin

US-41(I) in Wisconsin, I wish it where legal...
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

english si

Quote from: Road Hog on July 02, 2012, 12:20:48 PM
I've learned (in reverse fashion, actually) that A-roads correspond roughly with U.S. highways here and often parallel and multiplex with M-roads, which of course are equivalents of our I-roads. :)
No - nearly, but not quite. A roads are a far more dense network than US Highways, and even most states' State Highway system. And Motorways aren't directly equivalent to Interstates either.
QuoteThe fact that some A-roads are built to motorway standards and get an M-suffix adds to the confusion. I suppose by those standards, we would have U.S. 75 (I) from downtown Dallas to the Red River. Actually, that's not a horrible idea.
Motorway Standards don't exist - Motorway Regulations do. Ax(M) roads are sections of A roads with motorway regulations (ie a special road limited to Class I and Class II traffic only).

CA238(I) is about the only time you use it, because Interstate is a subset of freeways that form part of a system and meet certain standards - rather than regulations. US41(I), etc would work though - as would any up-to-standard route that forms a logical part of the network.

agentsteel53

Quote from: english si on July 04, 2012, 07:48:13 AM
CA238(I) is about the only time you use it, because Interstate is a subset of freeways that form part of a system and meet certain standards - rather than regulations. US41(I), etc would work though - as would any up-to-standard route that forms a logical part of the network.

many other freeways are built to interstate standard.  some are even in the interstate system, albeit with a hidden number, like I-595 in Maryland, which could be US-50(I).
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

english si

Not to mention the other US-50(I) in Sacramento.

However there's surely a difference between unsigned motorways with a proper motorway number (not that I can think of any in the UK) and motorway sections of other routes that don't gain an M-number.

So US-50(I) (either one) would only be a USx(I) if there wasn't a secret number.

mukade

Using something like US 41(I) would tell the motorist the class of highway (if they care), but in the US the Interstate shield has become a brand. Like it or not some companies use the presence of an Interstate as one criterion for locating a new facility. I would say what we need more is allowing certain well engineered non-freeways in less densely populated areas to be able to use the Interstate brand. For example, does all of future I-11 really need to be a full freeway? Maybe it does - I haven't driven that route, but I remember driving from Bullhead City, AZ to Las Vegas on US 95 - a pretty empty road. Is US 93 a lot busier?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.