News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Massachusetts

Started by hotdogPi, October 12, 2013, 04:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southshore720

I was wondering how they were going to handle the "Formerly Exit XX" signage, but they are going to stay consistent with their prior practice.  I believe the most recent exit renumbering was on MA 25, when they finally acknowledged I-195 as an exit.  IIRC, the "Formerly Exit XX" signs are still up to this day, all these years later.

PHLBOS

Quote from: southshore720 on October 28, 2015, 01:33:35 PM
I was wondering how they were going to handle the "Formerly Exit XX" signage, but they are going to stay consistent with their prior practice.  I believe the most recent exit renumbering was on MA 25, when they finally acknowledged I-195 as an exit.  IIRC, the "Formerly Exit XX" signs are still up to this day, all these years later.
How many years are we talking about?  On many PennDOT and PTC highways; there's still a bunch of those old OLD EXIT XX square signs remaining even after 15-16 years. 
GPS does NOT equal GOD

cl94

Quote from: PHLBOS on October 28, 2015, 06:09:35 PM
Quote from: southshore720 on October 28, 2015, 01:33:35 PM
How many years are we talking about?  On many PennDOT and PTC highways; there's still a bunch of those old OLD EXIT XX square signs remaining even after 15-16 years.

A bunch? There are few that aren't still in place. At this point, a lot of people on the roads never drove when the old numbers were in place.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

roadman

"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Beeper1

Installation of AET equipment on the MassPike has begun.  Footings for the toll gantries and the equipment sheds have been installed at the sites in Lee, Blandford, and Westfield.  Probably farther east, too, but I haven't been that far east yet.   I think the target date for implementation  is still next summer. 

AMLNet49

Quote from: Beeper1 on November 03, 2015, 09:40:35 PM
Installation of AET equipment on the MassPike has begun.  Footings for the toll gantries and the equipment sheds have been installed at the sites in Lee, Blandford, and Westfield.  Probably farther east, too, but I haven't been that far east yet.   I think the target date for implementation  is still next summer.

Does anyone know what the schedule is for implementation of the new guide signage, and is it designed to correspond with the AET project (which I assume will need new signage anyway)?

roadman

Quote from: AMLNet49 on November 03, 2015, 09:54:01 PM
Quote from: Beeper1 on November 03, 2015, 09:40:35 PM

Does anyone know what the schedule is for implementation of the new guide signage, and is it designed to correspond with the AET project (which I assume will need new signage anyway)?
Contractor for West Stockbridge to Auburn has been issued NTP.  New BGS and support installation on this section should start mid to late Spring of 2016.  The Auburn to Boston section is to be let for bids by late November.  Given a likely NTP of Jaunary 2016, new BGS and support installation on this section should start mid to late Summer of 2016.

During the design of both projects, there has been extensive coordination with both the AET installation and the eventual legacy toll plaza demolition contracts.  Giude signing that will be impacted by these other contracts has been retained under the signing work.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Henry

I think it's nice that MA is finally getting mileage-based exits after all those years! Now the guessing game is on as to which of the remaining sequential-numbering states will be the next to convert (CT, NH, NY, RI, VT).
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Rothman

Quote from: Henry on November 04, 2015, 10:56:09 AM
I think it's nice that MA is finally getting mileage-based exits after all those years! Now the guessing game is on as to which of the remaining sequential-numbering states will be the next to convert (CT, NH, NY, RI, VT).

Not NY.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

mariethefoxy

Connecticut already started on some highways.

roadman

It's rumored that NH has also gotten FHWA permission to use Federal safety funds for exit number conversion, though I've yet to see any plans from NHDOT as to when or how the conversion will be implemented.

vdeane

Don't forget DE.  I-95 and I-495 are both sequential.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

I saw somewhere that Vermont is supposedly putting provisions for new numbers on their new signs. New York has nothing official, but US 15 got renumbered not too long ago and the previously-unnumbered Taconic is getting mile-based numbers.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

vdeane

As far as I can discern, all newly-numbered roads in NY are/will be mile based, and US 15 got converted due to becoming I-99.

Vermont does appear to be putting provisions for mile-based numbers on new signs, but who knows if/when they'll convert, since they're most of the way through a statewide signage rehab that went through prior to the 2009 MUTCD.  There are new signs for most exits across all their freeways, all except a few on I-91 designed exclusively for sequential (and would need new tabs in a conversion).  Based on an article I read, that appears to be the main stumbling block towards converting VT.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Pete from Boston

Is it me, or is there recently a big wave of states moving to change MUTCD non-compliance issues?  Is there a reason behind this?

vdeane

Probably the fact that the FHWA is much stricter about enforcing MUTCD non-compliance issues than ever before.

Pete from Boston

I get that that is their job, but it saddens me a little that innovation decreasingly comes from the bottom up.

Alps

Quote from: Pete from Boston on November 04, 2015, 03:36:06 PM
Is it me, or is there recently a big wave of states moving to change MUTCD non-compliance issues?  Is there a reason behind this?
Probably really because of the shovel-ready initiatives during the recession, and signage problems are quick and easy to fix.

froggie

QuoteI saw somewhere that Vermont is supposedly putting provisions for new numbers on their new signs.

News to me.  Last time I emailed VTrans about it, they were intending to hold out as long as possible and put a request in for an extension...

Rothman

Quote from: vdeane on November 04, 2015, 01:57:41 PM
As far as I can discern, all newly-numbered roads in NY are/will be mile based, and US 15 got converted due to becoming I-99.

Makes you wonder how many roads will be "newly-numbered" in NY.  My bet:  Not many.  I'm still surprised the Taconic's getting new numbers and wonder how the Regions justified that expense or what pushed them to do so.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

vdeane

Quote from: froggie on November 05, 2015, 08:27:33 AM
QuoteI saw somewhere that Vermont is supposedly putting provisions for new numbers on their new signs.

News to me.  Last time I emailed VTrans about it, they were intending to hold out as long as possible and put a request in for an extension...

The pictures were in shadyjay's photo posts a few months ago, though the picutures appear to have been removed.

This is the thing I was reading:
When is Vermont going to enter the 21st century and renumber our interstate exits by mile marker?

VTRANS: This is a story where timing is everything. Back in 2009, federal requirements were passed mandating that each state move to the new mileage-based exits, but we were right in the middle of replacing our signs to bring them up to current retro-reflectivity standards (very shiny). We'd already made all the signs, and it seemed wasteful to trash them, since they're supposed to last about 15 years.

Changing to the mileage-based numbering system is going to mean changing a lot of other things. If you're a business with an exit number in your name, or if you make tourist maps, you should be planning your letterhead order so that it runs out around 2020. VTrans plans to do a lot of work with the regional planning commissions and chambers of commerce on this front in the coming years in advance of the rollout, as it will be a culture shock to some.
http://www.sevendaysvt.com/vermont/wtf-while-we-were-driving-part-2/Content?oid=2535889

Quote from: Rothman on November 05, 2015, 11:42:36 AM

Makes you wonder how many roads will be "newly-numbered" in NY.  My bet:  Not many.  I'm still surprised the Taconic's getting new numbers and wonder how the Regions justified that expense or what pushed them to do so.
Might have something to do with the 2009 MUTCD stating that ALL freeways MUST have exit numbers.

Alps

Quote from: vdeane on November 05, 2015, 03:29:08 PM

Might have something to do with the 2009 MUTCD stating that ALL freeways MUST have exit numbers.
If they wanted to, they could argue that Taconic is not a freeway, with a few remaining grade crossings and several RIROs that were former grade crossings. Exit numbers certainly help people find their way, so it's very welcome to have them on a rural, unlit freeway where unfamiliar travelers have no idea how far until their destination or how many exits to pass.

roadman

Quote from: froggie on November 05, 2015, 08:27:33 AM

As there is no compliance date for exit number conversion (there was one in the 2007 NPA but it was deleted in the final 2009 MUTCD), all VT has to demonstrate to FHWA is that they have a plan for eventual conversion.  Unless they're looking for Federal funding for the conversion (like MA got for their conversion project), the timeframe VT cites doesn't really matter to FHWA.

Requesting a waiver of the milepost numbering requirement won't work.  Upon issuance of the Final Rule for the 2009 MUTCD, most of the "sequential number" states formally appealed the new requirement to FHWA.  Their request was denied.

shadyjay

The most recent resigning project in VT, on I-91 from the Mass state line to just north of Exit 6 definitely left extra space in the exit tabs for double digit numbers.  See this shot of NB Exit 6, which will become an exit in the 20s-30s "at some point in time".  The "6" is definitely not centered, and other secondary BGSs left space for double digit exit numbers:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/shadyjay/21294835573/in/album-72157659395066232/

Rothman

Quote from: vdeane on November 05, 2015, 03:29:08 PM

Meh.  I doubt it.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.