News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel

Started by Mapmikey, November 21, 2016, 08:55:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tolbs17

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 27, 2019, 01:18:06 AM
Quote from: mrhappy1261 on July 27, 2019, 01:05:50 AM
Quote from: sprjus4 on July 27, 2019, 01:04:38 AM
IMO, the speed limit could easily be 60 mph for most of the stretch, a lot of parts even 65 mph. That would help a lot.

I'm fine with southbound since the bridge is bigger. But northbound, is more scary IMO. i wish it was widened.
I was referring to the surface sections of US-13 and US-113, not the bridge-tunnel.

I see now.

The bridge-tunnel southbound span could reasonably have 60 mph, but there's no way they would change it in regards to safety reasons. 55 mph is appropriate on the northbound span until they widen the shoulders.

Yeah I thought so.

74/171FAN

I moved sprjus4's posts and the ones below it to Fictional Highways.   -Mark

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=25420.0
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

tolbs17

That's a terrible stretch in my opinion. One time I think there was a speeding truck driver that knocked over a car when driving on the bridge. I don't know when it was though. That's also another reason why I'm afraid of driving on that bridge.

74/171FAN

Quote from: mrhappy1261 on July 27, 2019, 10:29:06 PM
That's a terrible stretch in my opinion. One time I think there was a speeding truck driver that knocked over a car when driving on the bridge. I don't know when it was though. That's also another reason why I'm afraid of driving on that bridge.

Is this the incident you are referring to?
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

tolbs17

Quote from: 74/171FAN on July 28, 2019, 07:10:34 AM

Yeah that. That's why this bridge needs a second bridge and tunnel badly.

sprjus4

Quote from: mrhappy1261 on July 28, 2019, 10:53:03 AM

It already has 2 bridges... 2 lanes northbound and 2 lanes southbound. The tunnels are the only part that's 2-lanes (one each way) and one of the tunnels is currently under construction to get another tube. There's only one tunnel remaining after this that will still only be one tube.

tolbs17

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 28, 2019, 12:21:20 PM
Quote from: mrhappy1261 on July 28, 2019, 10:53:03 AM

It already has 2 bridges... 2 lanes northbound and 2 lanes southbound. The tunnels are the only part that's 2-lanes (one each way) and one of the tunnels is currently under construction to get another tube. There's only one tunnel remaining after this that will still only be one tube.

I didn't know that they were under construction already. Interesting. I guess they will demolish the bridges that shift to one tunnel.

sprjus4

New traffic pattern starts Thursday on Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel
QuoteVIRGINIA BEACH, Va. – The Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel is starting the second phase of its Milling and Paving Project.

The traffic pattern will take place on the northern portion of the CBBT from Portal Island No. 4 to the North Toll Plaza on Virginia's Eastern Shore. It's expected to last until May.

Milling and repaving will be performed on a portion of the northbound span.

The bridge-tunnel will stay open to all traffic, but traffic will be reduced to two lanes, creating a bi-directional flow for about 10 miles.

Officials urge drivers to use caution and say no passing will be allowed during this traffic shift.

The scenic overlook will be closed during this time.

This project is scheduled to be complete with all lanes open to traffic by May 2020 before the spring/summer seasons.  The scenic overlook will also reopen to travelers at this time.
Due to weather, this project was delayed, though will likely begin soon. 10 miles of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel facility on the northern end will be reduced to 2-lanes until May, with passing prohibited.

Beltway

Quote from: sprjus4 on February 06, 2020, 07:49:39 PM
QuoteMilling and repaving will be performed on a portion of the northbound span.
Due to weather, this project was delayed, though will likely begin soon. 10 miles of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel facility on the northern end will be reduced to 2-lanes until May, with passing prohibited.
This is the original trestle that was rehabbed in the Parallel Trestle Project 1995-1999.

Above, original span, just north of the northernmost manmade island.  Notice the new asphalt surface that has been placed on the 34-year-old [as of 1999] trestle. The North Channel Bridges are in the distance on the right.

http://www.roadstothefuture.com/CBBT_Photos_1198.html
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

D-Dey65

How quickly do you think a vehicle like this will be stopped from crossing the bridge?

https://vintage-trailer.tumblr.com/image/189774929155

froggie

Very quickly.  For starters, it wouldn't fit through the toll booths except through the oversize lane on the far right of each toll plaza.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: froggie on March 20, 2020, 12:32:02 PM
Very quickly.  For starters, it wouldn't fit through the toll booths except through the oversize lane on the far right of each toll plaza.

I think I recall reading that the CBBTD will allow overwidth vehicles and loads to cross by special permit, but they have to make the crossing late at night, and traffic will be halted both ways at each tunnel until the overwidth has cleared them. 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

D-Dey65

Quote from: cpzilliacus on March 20, 2020, 07:16:00 PM
Quote from: froggie on March 20, 2020, 12:32:02 PM

I think I recall reading that the CBBTD will allow overwidth vehicles and loads to cross by special permit, but they have to make the crossing late at night, and traffic will be halted both ways at each tunnel until the overwidth has cleared them. 
Well, those gigantic LP gas tanks on the fenders make things a lot worse.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: D-Dey65 on March 21, 2020, 02:52:02 PM
Well, those gigantic LP gas tanks on the fenders make things a lot worse.

Yes, thanks for pointing those out - the positioning of those tanks might well make this vehicle illegal to operate on any public street, road or highway in the United States.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

plain

Newark born, Richmond bred

jeffandnicole

Quote from: plain on October 01, 2020, 04:52:49 PM
Has anyone heard anything about this?

https://www.nbc12.com/2020/09/30/chesapeake-bay-bridge-tunnel-construction-is-years-behind/

The reason is the boulders.

Why? Well, the reporter didn't tell us.

Another great reporting job there.

sprjus4

^

Here's a more detailed article from the Virginian-Pilot, along with a photo of construction from September 30, 2020.

Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel expansion is 2 years behind schedule
QuoteConstruction of a new tube at the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel is now two years behind, due in part to the latest headache: The granite boulders armoring the manmade islands are proving exceptionally difficult to deal with.

The boulders, some so big only two could fit on a rail car when they were hauled in 60 years ago, provide form and protection for the four artificial islands anchoring the portals of the facility's two original tubes.

Expansion plans call for adding two additional tunnels to parallel the old ones, putting an end to the two-way traffic flow inside in the existing tubes.

To do the job, a fresh technology – at least in Hampton Roads – was chosen. A tunnel boring machine will be used instead of the traditional immersed tube method. Problems have now pushed the wrap-up date to 2024.

Work on the first parallel tunnel started in 2017. Diving under the shipping channel closest to Virginia Beach, running more than a mile between the first and second islands, it was scheduled to be completed for $756 million in 2022.

Permitting caused delays. Another hold-up occurred last year when a primary sub-contractor was removed for nonperformance.

And now, the boulder obstacle.

Everyone knew the rocks were there, of course. But according to Mike Crist, the bridge-tunnel's deputy executive director of infrastructure, the project's main contractors – Dragados USA and Schiavone Construction – didn't grasp just how formidable the boulders would be.

"They're saying they're thicker and deeper than they thought,"  Crist said.

Here's the picture:

The islands were created by placing boulders, chiseled from the mountains of central Virginia, on the bay bottom in an oblong ring, more than a football field wide and at least four times as long. Sand was pumped in to fill the interior, then more boulders placed on top, like a turtle's shell.

Tunnel boring machines come in different models, with some designed to eat through such hard rock, but the machine ordered for the CBBT can only handle soft soil, which makes up the vast bulk of the tunnel's route.

But to reach that soft soil, it must be launched from a pit on the island and mine its way out.

Boulders can be removed to create a hole, but it's not simple. Removing too many could endanger the integrity of the entire island and the existing tube, especially if a nor'easter or hurricane rolls in.

Removing just enough requires building a structure to shore up the walls of such a narrow opening. That's what contractors have been attempting to do, pounding steel pilings through the outer shell to create a sort of coffer dam.

"Imagine trying to drive a nail through granite rock,"  Crist said. "Progress going through there is much, much slower than anticipated."

Crist said the contractors are searching for answers and plan to meet with bridge-tunnel authorities soon to discuss any options they come up with. No tax money has gone into the project, and Crist said any additional costs are expected to fall on the contractors.

"Or at least that's our position,"  he said.

More boulders await at the far end, where the boring machine will need to surface on the second island, so the challenge must be solved, Crist said.

Construction on the next parallel tunnel isn't expected before 2037, so who knows what technology will be available then.

A tunnel boring machine will be used to build new tubes at the Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel, a project that recently received the green light to start construction.

But the HRBT won't encounter the same trouble, Crist said.

The HRBT's islands are similar to the CBBT's but larger, offering more options for portal placement, allowing a boring machine to angle under the perimeter rock instead of through it.

ixnay

I don't know if anyone has posted any memories of the fishing pier and restaurant gift shop, but here I go...

I stopped at Thimble Shoal twice:  1) in 1970 with my dad and stepmom (I remember eating at the restaurant) on our way to Jacksonville, NC to stay a few days with my dad's Marine captain friend stationed at Lejeune (we stayed with the family in their off-base house) and 2) in 1988 on my way to an autumn vacation in VA Beach followed by a couple of nights in Williamsburg (thus partaking of both the CBBT and the HRBT, and I also drove through the I-264 tunnel [which was free then]).  IIRC the MMBT was under construction.

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

roadman65

I stopped there many of times and even  took photos of the signs and tunnels there.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

tolbs17

Find it funny how they would squeeze 4 lanes into one tunnel.

Alps

Quote from: tolbs17 on March 01, 2021, 10:34:01 PM
what

sprjus4

Project 2045-1A - Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel: Parallel Chesapeake Tunnel Preliminary Engineering - $4.8 million (CBBT sources) - was added to the HRTPO 2045 LRTP Draft List.

tolbs17

Quote from: Alps on March 02, 2021, 12:06:38 AM
what
based on what I see on that article/improvement plan.

Alps

Quote from: tolbs17 on July 18, 2021, 03:08:46 AM
Quote from: Alps on March 02, 2021, 12:06:38 AM
what
based on what I see on that article/improvement plan.
the existing tunnel is 2 lanes. they're not replacing it, they're adding a second one.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Alps on July 18, 2021, 01:31:50 PM
the existing tunnel is 2 lanes. they're not replacing it, they're adding a second one.

That is clearly correct for the tunnel that is being built now, Thimble Shoal,
the southern of the CBBT tunnels. Seagoing traffic headed for the Norfolk Naval
Station, the Ports of Virginia in Hampton Roads and the Port of Richmond (at the
head of navigation of the James River) all cross the CBBT by way of Thimble Shoal.

At one point early on, there was consideration given to building one new four
lane tube that would carry alll CBBT traffic and abandoning in place the existing
tunnel, but I am not sure that a four lane tube was even considered during the
EIS process that led to approval of the new bored Thimble Shoal Tunnel that is
now under construction (with some difficulty).

The north Chesapeake Tunnel is where seagoing traffic heads north toward the
Port of Baltimore.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.