News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Incredible Man-Made Highways Are Built Just for Animals

Started by ZLoth, March 16, 2014, 10:32:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZLoth

From Gizmodo:

These Incredible Man-Made Highways Are Built Just for Animals
QuoteHumans don't exactly have a stellar record when it comes to environmental stewardship, but that doesn't mean we aren't trying. Numerous projects around the world are working to rebuild lost habitats, protect vital wildlife highways, and regenerate lost populations. Here are a few man-made structures built on behalf of our four-footed brethren.
FULL ARTICLE HERE
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

NE2

Uh, these highways are not built just for animals. Over- or underpasses are provided on highways built for people.

PS: "a heard of cattle"
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

ARMOURERERIC

Scripps-Poway Parkway in Northern San Diego has a tunnel system near it's eastern terminus with CA-67.  It even has a solar tube system to illuminate the inside during the day, you can see the tops of the light admitting structures in the median.

formulanone

"Alligator Alley" is in Broward and Collier Counties, but not Lee County. Besides, most of the panther strikes were on FL 29 and US 41, since the Alley was widened between '90-'93.

The new Tamiami Trail bridge is quite amazing in scope, even though it's a single long span.

NE2

AAA thought Alligator Alley was being built just for gators. Hence the name.

North of here they've started putting in culverts for bears.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

andy

The new section of I-69 in south Indiana has an approximately 4400ft long bridge with run off collection to limit disruption of the Patoka River and associated wildlife reserve.
http://www.aspirebridge.com/magazine/2013Spring/I-69TwinBridgesOverThePatokaRiver.pdf

Similar to the cattle tunnel in the article, US 50 west of Shoals, Indiana, has a box culvert the farmer is allowed to use as a cattle tunnel.  It's probably not uncommon.

theline

Those are provided not only for livestock, but also to allow the farmer to get his machinery between the halves of his field, without a long haul to the nearest overpass. They are not uncommon.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.