News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Bridges over Islands

Started by webny99, January 31, 2021, 01:49:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

I'm looking for examples of where a bridge crosses an island without ever touching ground level on that island, or having any access to that island whatsoever. A local example is here, on the Pont de Rennes bridge which was formerly a road but is now foot and bike traffic only. As you can see, the bridge crosses the island and both forks of the river without access to the island. Curious to know what other examples exist, I'm sure there are plenty on the actual road system and not just a pedestrian bridge.

hotdogPi

I-84 where it almost enters New Jersey.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

TheHighwayMan3561

The Hennepin Avenue Bridge in Minneapolis crosses the Mississippi River through Nicollet Island. Ground access is made crossing a channel on Merriam Street.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

M3100

Roosevelt Island east of Manhattan in New York City.  New York SR 25 (Ed Koch Queensboro Bridge) passes over it but does not have any offramps.  Access to the island by vehicle is from Long Island City via the Roosevelt Island bridge.  There is also a tramway and ferry access.

webny99

Quote from: 1 on January 31, 2021, 02:12:54 PM
I-84 where it almost enters New Jersey.

That isn't technically an island, but since it's a long peninsula and there's no direct access, it's close enough.

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on January 31, 2021, 02:36:03 PM
The Hennepin Avenue Bridge in Minneapolis crosses the Mississippi River through Nicollet Island. Ground access is made crossing a channel on Merriam Street.

That's the general idea, but from what I can tell, Nicollet Island is also accessible directly from Wilder St (eastbound) and De La Salle Dr (westbound). I actually found a better Twin Cities example here, where Wabasha St. crosses the Mississippi via Raspberry Island with no direct access (although there does appear to be pedestrian access, visible here). Two new bucket list items!

Quote from: M3100 on January 31, 2021, 04:53:40 PM
Roosevelt Island east of Manhattan in New York City.  New York SR 25 (Ed Koch Queensboro Bridge) passes over it but does not have any offramps.

Great example, I should have thought of that one when composing my post!

1995hoo

The Theodore Roosevelt Bridge (I-66 and US-50) in the District of Columbia passes over the southern end of the island of the same name with no access.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

BrianP

US 50 crosses the Ohio River including Blennerhassett Island.

plain

US 1/301 crosses Belle Isle in Richmond with no access, but there's a foot bridge hanging under it that provides access for pedestrians.
Newark born, Richmond bred

jmd41280

I-76/PA Turnpike crosses directly over Fourteen Mile Island in the Allegheny River northeast of Pittsburgh.
"Increase the Flash Gordon noise and put more science stuff around!"

BrianP

Quote from: jmd41280 on January 31, 2021, 08:52:49 PM
I-76/PA Turnpike crosses directly over Fourteen Mile Island in the Allegheny River northeast of Pittsburgh.
It also crosses Calver Island when crossing the Susquehanna River. 

I-81 crosses McCormick Island when crossing the Susquehanna as well.

kenarmy

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.1773931,-90.4454795,737m/data=!3m1!1e3

Idk if this counts as swampy land but 55 passes over several tiny islands.
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

Roadrunner75

Quote from: M3100 on January 31, 2021, 04:53:40 PM
Roosevelt Island east of Manhattan in New York City.  New York SR 25 (Ed Koch Queensboro Bridge) passes over it but does not have any offramps.  Access to the island by vehicle is from Long Island City via the Roosevelt Island bridge.  There is also a tramway and ferry access.
Yes, but it actually used to at one point.  There was an elevator for awhile to bring cars and pedestrians down to the island before the bridge between the island and Queens was built.

CoreySamson

I-40 over Mud Island in Memphis almost counts, except Mud Island is not an island.

I-210 in Lake Charles passes over a small uninhabited island.

I-10 also does crossing the Lost River east of Houston.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

CtrlAltDel

I thought there would be one somewhere along US-1 in the Florida Keys, but unless I've missed something, there isn't.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

jmacswimmer

The US 40 Hatem Bridge & the CSX railroad bridge both pass over Garrett Island while crossing the Susquehanna River.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.5639656,-76.0909528,2521m/data=!3m1!1e3!5m1!1e1?hl=en
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

GaryV

The International Bridge between Sault Ste Marie MI and ON crosses over several islands without access, both natural and manmade (including the portion of SSM MI that is an island because of the power canal).  But the bridge supports touch the islands, so I don't know if that meets your criteria of "without ever touching ground level on that island".

webny99

Quote from: kenarmy on January 31, 2021, 11:38:39 PM
Idk if this counts as swampy land but 55 passes over several tiny islands.

That's an interesting one. It's technically a little different than what I was looking for, but it definitely fits in spirit. I would love to drive that section of I-55 some day.

Quote from: GaryV on February 01, 2021, 12:52:15 PM
The International Bridge between Sault Ste Marie MI and ON crosses over several islands without access, both natural and manmade (including the portion of SSM MI that is an island because of the power canal).  But the bridge supports touch the islands, so I don't know if that meets your criteria of "without ever touching ground level on that island".

Absolutely. I mostly just meant without road access, but preferably as an actual bridge instead of crossing at ground level.

And speaking of international border crossings... The Thousand Islands Bridge (ON 137) also crosses multiple islands. And then you've got another really interesting case with the Peace Bridge, which crosses the Bird Island Pier, which is itself an extension of Unity Island, as shown in satellite view here.

kurumi

On Hollyhock Island in Norwich, CT, you're looking up at CT 32/82 westbound with no access. (EB is at ground level)

https://goo.gl/maps/wJE92qfXQa4S4awS6
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

webny99

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on February 01, 2021, 05:30:51 AM
I thought there would be one somewhere along US-1 in the Florida Keys, but unless I've missed something, there isn't.

In that case it kind of makes sense that US 1 crosses all the islands at ground level, because it's the main route used to access the islands in addition to connecting them. You could possibly make a case for Missouri Key, but other than that they all have connecting roads.

jmacswimmer

Quote from: roadman65 on February 02, 2021, 11:17:01 PM
No one yet mentioned the Thomas Hatem Bridge between Havre de Grace, MD and Perryville, MD on US 40.

See reply 14:

Quote from: jmacswimmer on February 01, 2021, 11:17:56 AM
The US 40 Hatem Bridge & the CSX railroad bridge both pass over Garrett Island while crossing the Susquehanna River.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.5639656,-76.0909528,2521m/data=!3m1!1e3!5m1!1e1?hl=en
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

roadman65

I do not know how I missed that one.  I scrolled down very slowly.  Oh well, I removed it cause someone else mentioned it already.  I am sure if this thread goes on for several pages it will be mentioned again.

Drum Island in Charleston, SC has the Arthur Ravenel Bridge over it with no access to it.  Yet years ago the John P. Grace Bridge did the same, but dropped down to where it almost came close to being on it, but not far down enough.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Quote from: webny99 on February 02, 2021, 10:21:55 PM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on February 01, 2021, 05:30:51 AM

The old Seven Mile Bridge goes over Pigeon Key, but now is closed to vehicle traffic.  So no access to it by car anymore.

In that case it kind of makes sense that US 1 crosses all the islands at ground level, because it's the main route used to access the islands in addition to connecting them. You could possibly make a case for Missouri Key, but other than that they all have connecting roads.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

briantroutman

Quote from: BrianP on January 31, 2021, 11:12:14 PM
Quote from: jmd41280 on January 31, 2021, 08:52:49 PM
It also crosses Calver Island when crossing the Susquehanna River. 

I-81 crosses McCormick Island when crossing the Susquehanna as well.

If you want to include small and (at least to my knowledge) unnamed islands, the list could be quite long.

In the Harrisburg area–in addition to the examples mentioned above:
- I-81 crosses one other unnamed island in addition to McCormick
- The Harvey Taylor Bridge crosses two unnamed islands
- PA 283 crosses an island in Swatara Creek
- US 322 crosses an island in Swatara Creek

Other examples in Pennsylvania (larger and named islands):

- PA 372 crosses Brushy and Piney Islands in the lower Susquehanna Valley
- US 202 crosses Barbadoes Island near Norristown
- PA 378 crosses the otherwise developed Sand Island in Bethlehem without providing access
  (Nearby New Street also crosses without providing vehicular access but does have a staircase for pedestrians.)
- The Carey Ave Bridge in Plymouth crosses Richard Island
- The 31st Street Bridge in Pittsburgh crosses Herr Island without providing access

Bruce

The doomed West Seattle Bridge (high rise structure) passes over Harbor Island without providing access. To reach the island, you have to use the Spokane Street Bridge (aka the low bridge).

webny99

Quote from: briantroutman on February 03, 2021, 12:01:58 AM
If you want to include small and (at least to my knowledge) unnamed islands, the list could be quite long.

In the Harrisburg area–in addition to the examples mentioned above:

Other examples in Pennsylvania (larger and named islands):

I must say, Pennsylvania and especially the Susquehanna River was custom-made for this thread. A lot of great examples have been posted, but two of yours are already my all-time favorites: This one (for its general uniqueness) and this one (for the Pittsburgh skyline, although my Rochester skyline example in the OP is a close second).

It would be tough to come up with that many good examples for New York. The two border crossings and the Pont de Rennes were the only three I had thought of so far, and a fourth just occurred to me: NY 3 over the Salmon River in Pulaski. I'm sure there are more, but they're not easy finds.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.