AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Minor things that bother you  (Read 374828 times)

ZLoth

• ImaTech!

• Last Login: January 27, 2023, 07:02:04 PM
    • List of links
Re: Minor things that bother you
« Reply #6025 on: January 25, 2023, 08:16:26 AM »

My Pixel phone has a neat feature where it will screen calls and show a little transcription. It has prevented a lot of spam from reaching my ears but also allowed in good calls because I can actually read a little snippet before picking up the call.

I love this feature along with the ability to send certain key phrases to the caller. I do tell people that I screen my calls.
Hard to believe, but years from now, someone will look back at the early 2020s and refer to them as the "Good Old Days".

hbelkins

• It is well, it is well, with my soul.

• Last Login: Today at 12:27:01 AM
    • Millennium Highway
« Reply #6026 on: January 25, 2023, 11:45:01 AM »

My Pixel phone has a neat feature where it will screen calls and show a little transcription. It has prevented a lot of spam from reaching my ears but also allowed in good calls because I can actually read a little snippet before picking up the call.

I love this feature along with the ability to send certain key phrases to the caller. I do tell people that I screen my calls.

Why would anyone not screen their calls these days?

I was getting so many unsolicited calls on my personal cell phone that I found a "silence" ringtone .m4r file, loaded it to my phone, and set it as my default. Only calls from people in my contacts, with pre-selected custom ringtones, actually make a sound when they come in. For anyone else, they can leave a message if I don't recognize the number.

I haven't done that with my work cell yet, but still, if I don't recognize the number, I don't answer the call. They can leave a voicemail if it's important. If it's not important enough to leave a voicemail over, then they must not have needed to talk to me all that badly.

I've taken to doing that with my desktop office phone as well. Leave a message if I don't answer.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

XamotCGC

• Last Login: January 27, 2023, 06:00:35 PM
« Reply #6027 on: January 25, 2023, 05:33:10 PM »

My phone has a feature that blocks private and unknown phone numbers.
Roads clinched.
State Routes: Kentucky:  KY 208 KY 289 KY 555 KY 2154 KY 245 KY 1195

JayhawkCO

• Last Login: Today at 12:57:04 AM
« Reply #6028 on: January 25, 2023, 07:13:29 PM »

Here's one spun off from another thread:

I hate when news "articles" are videos. I don't want to watch your dumb video where I have to turn up the volume and possibly annoy people around me. I read fast. Just type the damn thing so I can read it at my leisure.

tdindy88

• Last Login: Today at 12:45:35 AM
« Reply #6029 on: January 25, 2023, 07:34:29 PM »

I hate when news "articles" are videos. I don't want to watch your dumb video where I have to turn up the volume and possibly annoy people around me. I read fast. Just type the damn thing so I can read it at my leisure.

This is pretty similar to what you just mentioned but I hate it when I pull up an actual written news story and a video about it starts playing automatically, forcing me to turn the volume DOWN so that I don't annoy people around me. One TV station's news app is so bad with this I have to keep the phone on mute anytime I read an article on their app.

thenetwork

• Last Login: January 27, 2023, 09:05:29 PM
« Reply #6030 on: January 25, 2023, 08:44:48 PM »

I hate when my smartphone apps "suggest" news articles (based on algorithms) -- that part I don't mind...But what I DO mind is when I click on these non-sponsored story links only to be blocked out by a paywall.

And speaking of news, I hate when they overuse the term "BREAKING NEWS".  When I was growing up, when a radio or TV station had "Breaking News", they interrupted with a bulletin.  Nowadays on some media outlets, whenever Kim Kardashian stubs her toe, they call it breaking news..

One of the national radio news outlets -- SBN/Salem-Townhall.com news will randomly start their top of the hour newscasts with "Breaking news this hour...".  Most of the time, it's just the top story of the day that's hours old -- *not* something that happened in the last hour.

It's like crying "Wolf".
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 08:50:08 PM by thenetwork »

Scott5114

• Nit picker of unprecedented pedantry

• Last Login: Today at 01:19:55 AM
    • Denexa 100% Plastic Playing Cards
« Reply #6031 on: January 25, 2023, 09:23:50 PM »

Nowadays on some media outlets, whenever Kim Kardashian stubs her toe, they call it breaking news..

I suppose if she stubbed it hard enough, it would be news of something breaking.

US 89

• 189 to Evanston

• Last Login: January 27, 2023, 06:09:10 PM
    • Utah Highways
« Reply #6032 on: January 25, 2023, 11:44:49 PM »

I hate when my smartphone apps "suggest" news articles (based on algorithms) -- that part I don't mind...But what I DO mind is when I click on these non-sponsored story links only to be blocked out by a paywall.

Or worse, "This content is not available in your country."

CtrlAltDel

• Last Login: January 27, 2023, 10:57:33 PM
« Reply #6033 on: January 26, 2023, 09:53:16 AM »

Or as I like to say, I can read faster than you can talk.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

JayhawkCO

• Last Login: Today at 12:57:04 AM
« Reply #6034 on: January 26, 2023, 01:21:31 PM »

Ding ding ding.

GaryV

• Last Login: January 27, 2023, 04:02:54 PM
« Reply #6035 on: January 26, 2023, 01:46:26 PM »

And when you're doing some online training module, which involves watching a slide show. And they have to read each slide to you. And you can't advance to the next slide until the narrator is done - no matter that you finished reading before the narrator is halfway through.

hbelkins

• It is well, it is well, with my soul.

• Last Login: Today at 12:27:01 AM
    • Millennium Highway
« Reply #6036 on: January 26, 2023, 02:01:43 PM »

And when you're doing some online training module, which involves watching a slide show. And they have to read each slide to you. And you can't advance to the next slide until the narrator is done - no matter that you finished reading before the narrator is halfway through.

Did that yesterday. Thankfully there was a 'mute' button on the slides so I could read them at my speed.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

webny99

• Left lane is for passing, not camping!

• Last Login: January 27, 2023, 06:18:34 PM
« Reply #6037 on: January 27, 2023, 01:20:42 PM »

• There is an arterial near me that expands from two lanes to four lanes just prior to an intersection where I frequently turn left. There's no turning lanes, so when oncoming traffic is heavy (which is almost always, sometimes even backing up into the intersection because of the lane merge), this creates a situation where I will be sitting in the left lane waiting to turn for most of the green light cycle.

Traffic coming up behind me normally splits into two lanes, but since I'm there, they can only go past using the right lane. I try to ensure they do so by (1) turning on my left blinker well in advance so they know to move right, and (2) coming to a stop with ample room to pull up, so that I can give them a buffer to move right if they happen to not see my blinker. Some people, though, blindly insist on pulling up right behind me and sitting there while I wait to make my turn, even though the right lane is open and they can see I'm turning. This bothers me to no end. I simply can't believe there are drivers out there with so little awareness that they would actively choose to wait behind someone for no reason, be completely oblivious to the sea of oncoming traffic that indicates I'll be there for a while, and continue to sit there even when I pull up to give them an opportunity to correct and go past. That's grounds for immediate license suspension IMO.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 01:30:37 PM by webny99 »
On April 25, 2022, I became the 20th user in forum history to Like the Forum Way, Way Too Much. And then I found that there's another way..
__ _______ ___ __ _______ _____

vdeane

• Last Login: January 27, 2023, 10:00:56 PM
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #6038 on: January 27, 2023, 09:57:15 PM »

^ Given how thick oncoming traffic is, would I be correct in assuming that it's a similar story in your direction?  If so, then they don't exactly have much opportunity to move over once they're already stuck behind you.  As for how they got stuck in the first place, I agree, it's amazing how oblivious most people are to what the other cars on the road are doing.  A good chunk of congestion on the roads would go away if only people would pay more attention to what traffic around them is doing.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Takumi

• now with even more cars!

• Last Login: Today at 12:30:11 AM
    • The Practical Hoon (blog)
« Reply #6039 on: Today at 12:24:21 AM »

When someone leaves their phone’s GPS on when they’re in a store. They’re in the middle of an aisle and their phone just blurts out “Turn right onto Center Street”.
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Donít @ me. Seriously.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.