News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Bridges you've walked across

Started by kurumi, June 03, 2010, 12:55:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick1962

Fort Pitt Bridge, Fort Duquesne Bridge, Smithfield Street Bridge, 10th Street Bridge in Pittsburgh.

Wheeling Suspension Bridge and Fort Henry (I-70) Bridge.

KEK Inc.

I've walked across most of the walkable bridges in downtown Portland.  I've walked across the Golden Gate (US-101/CA-1 San Francisco/Marin Co.) & Interstate (I-5 Vancouver/Portland) bridge. 
Take the road less traveled.

OracleUsr

Quote from: dfilpus on September 18, 2010, 08:25:30 AM
In Virginia, I walked across the James River on the pedestrian walkway suspended below the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Yeah, went across that last March in clinching the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

KEVIN_224

To update my post in this thread: I walked over the Delaware River via the Ben Franklin Bridge on February 23, 2012. The walk over to Camden, NJ took a long time, soaking in the view and taking a few pictures as well. It helped that it was mild and around 60 that afternoon. The walk back over to Philadelphia was a straight shot, no stops or pictures. That took 26 minutes. Great exercise at least! :)

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

The most memorable for me was not a noteworthy bridge at all, but it's what happened on the bridge that I'll never forget.  When I was a kid (probably eight years old or so), my friend and I took a walk along the railroad right next to my house.  Back in those days, the track wasn't used very much–usually two trains per day, and at least one of those was at night.  We walked farther than usual that day, and came to this bridge.  It was one of those bridge with nothing in between the timbers, just board—gap—board—gap—board.  We decided to cross it, what the heck!  We got halfway across, to the point where we were directly over the railroad beneath; at that point, a Rock Island Metra train approached from the east on the track below, and blew its whistle just as it reached us.  HOLY CRAP!!!  I distinctly remember literally jumping back at least two boards, fortunately not landing in an empty space instead.

We turned around and headed back.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kurumi

I am reminded of a great bridge-walking story: Brian Lumley's "The Viaduct". Apparently available in audio form here: http://www.brianlumley.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-154.html. (Warning: horror story, bad stuff happens)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

agentsteel53

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

kphoger

Wow, that story rings such a bell in my memory!  Just south of the bridge I mentioned is this underpass; the road above used to be a railroad, but has long been a hike and bike trail.  We used to access it by way of the park, and could climb underneath to a concrete ledge along the western end.  We spent much time there, throwing things down onto the tracks, peeing off the edge, taking our clothes off and scrambling buck-naked down the slope to retrieve them–stuff little boys find entertaining.  Well, the underside of that bridge was corrugated metal, kind of like this.  On several occasions, we wondered if we could swing our way across it to the other side, like a jungle gym.  I was quite the monkey on the jungle gym at school, so the idea was especially appealing to me.  I was never brave enough to even let my feet leave the edge, though, and neither were my friends.
Male pronouns, please.

vtk

A few years ago, when I was socially more like a teenager, I would sometimes hang out with friends under a concrete arch bridge near my house, usually at night.  Truth or dare was a common activity, sometimes involving nudity, which wasn't always required by a dare.  One night I climbed one of the arches nearly to its apex, but I couldn't summon the courage to perform the necessary maneuvers to continue in the reduced vertical clearance there.

Anyway, one day I was there at the same time as a group of younger teens.  A couple of them actually crossed the creek by climbing an entire bridge arch.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

kphoger

Quote from: kphoger on February 13, 2013, 12:08:56 PM
We spent much time there, throwing things down onto the tracks, peeing off the edge, taking our clothes off and scrambling buck-naked down the slope to retrieve them–stuff little boys guys of all ages find entertaining.

FTFM
Male pronouns, please.

DandyDan

The only bridges with official names I've ever walked across were the Old Chain of Rocks Bridge in St. Louis and the Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge between Omaha and Council Bluffs, at least amongst those still standing.  When I was a kid, I rode my bike across the now demolished Rock Island Swing Bridge between Inver Grove Heights and St. Paul Park, MN.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

JMoses24

Quote from: jonathanz on February 01, 2011, 03:55:59 PM
I have walked all the possible bridges you can walk from Northern Kentucky to Downtown Cincinnati.

These walkable bridges include:

Clay Wade Bailey Bridge which carries US 25, 127 & 42, it is a nice walk especially when you are heading to Paul Brown Stadium for a Bengals game, plus traffic on the Covington side isn't nearly as bad, the end of the bridge marks the end of US 25.

John Roebling Suspension Bridge which carries KY 17 across the Ohio River and actually maintains its numbering on the Ohio side of the bridges as it is maintained by KYTC, it is heavily traveled by pedestrians during both baseball and football season as it is in between Paul Brown Stadium and Great American Ball Park. I assume that once the "Banks" project is completed it will garner even more pedestrians. It is also popular as the predecessor to the much taller and longer Brooklyn Bridge but is still an icon of the region.

Taylor-Southgate Bridge which carries US 27 from Newport into downtown Cincinnati in between US Bank Arena and Great American Ball Park

Newport Southbank Bridge aka Purple People Bridge is a pedestrian only bridge connecting the entertainment district of Newport on the Levee with Sawyer Point/Centennial Park in Cincinnati. It is one of the oldest crossings connecting Cincinnati with Northern Kentucky the orgininal span was opened 1872 and reconstructed in 1896.

There are also two bridges in the downtown area that cross the Licking River in Kentucky which are also pedestrian friendly these are:

4th/5th Street Bridge which crosses the Licking River just south of its confluence with the Ohio River connecting Covington, Kentucky with Newport, Kentucky. It carries KY 8 East and West and then splits onto the One Way 4th and 5th streets.

11th/12th Street Bridge officially Licking Valley Girl Scout Bridge just a few blocks south of the 4th/5th street bridge also connects Covington and Newport. It carries KY 1120 East and West and just as the other bridge splits onto the One Way streets of 11th and 12th.

These are two of only 4 bridges that connect Kenton County with Campbell County over the Licking River the other two being the I-275 Bridge connecting Taylor Mill with Wilder and KY 536 connecting Visalia with Alexandria.

I'm not sure if the KY 536 bridge is walkable or not. I'd presume that the answer is "barely".

I've walked all those that you did. I wish the eastern sidewalk of the Roebling would be made wheelchair accessible. Minor nitpick, but I don't care to try to cross the Cincinnati approach as there is no stoplight there. If you cross in front of the Southbank Trolley, you're completely screwed.

Molandfreak

A year ago, I walked across this one:
http://goo.gl/maps/glu3S

Not going to again. :-D
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

DeaconG

I walk across the A. Max Brewer Bridge in Titusville every day for exercise, it's a high level bridge that replaced the swing span about four years ago.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

Interstatefan78

I walked both the US-101 Golden Gate Bridge, and the CR-519/PA-32 bridge in Milford,NJ/ Uhlerstown,Pa. Another bridge that I walked is the US-22 Phillipsburg-Easton bridge the walkways on the US-22 NJ/PA crossing is only used on the Turkey Day  football game against Easton, but no general cross traffic they must use the Union square/ Northampton Street bridge if walking from Phillipsburg,NJ into Easton Pennsylvania

roadman

I actually walked across the Zakim Bridge in Boston about two months before it was opened to traffic.  I was fortunate enough to be invited to tour the Big Dig, which included walking through the northbound O'Neill Tunnel from the south portal, then onto and across the Zakim.

Unfortunately, I only got about a half-hour's notice to participate in the tour, so I didn't have a camera with me.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

vtk

I walked across the new Main Street Bridge in Columbus a few months before it opened.  Right down the centerline, with my phone recording a GPS track for OpenStreetMap.  On a Saturday evening, nobody was around to notice my trespassing.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Roadster

I've walked across a few bridges in my time but the only two that really count (so far) for me that I've walked across are....

1.) The Golden Gate Bridge
2.) The Brooklyn Bridge

You hear people talk about these famous bridges and you see them many times in movies and tv, probably the two most famous bridges in the U.S. (as well as in the World).

Oh... :hmmm:...and that is if this bridge counts....3.) The famous small crossover bridge over the RiverWalk, deep in the middle of downtown San Antonio.

Indyroads

For me its the Golden Gate and the Auburn Foresthill Bridge.
And a highway will be there;
    it will be called the Way of Holiness;
    it will be for those who walk on that Way.
The unclean will not journey on it;
    wicked fools will not go about on it.
Isaiah 35:8-10 (NIV)

JMoses24

Quote from: JMoses24 on February 15, 2013, 01:21:18 PM
I wish the eastern sidewalk of the Roebling would be made wheelchair accessible. Minor nitpick, but I don't care to try to cross the Cincinnati approach as there is no stoplight there. If you cross in front of the Southbank Trolley, you're completely screwed.

Yeah, you know how I was complaining about that?

Turns out, they WERE working on re-doing the east sidewalk of the Roebling. Both sides are now COMPLETELY wheelchair-friendly! In fact, bandit957 chronicled that in a photoset in July, to which he linked from this here thread.

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=10014.0

Thing 342

The Mike O'Callaghan—Pat Tillman Memorial Bridge (the new Hoover Dam bridge)

Robert E. Lee Memorial Bridge (US 1/301 over James River in Richmond, VA)

Barrett's Ferry Bridge, both new and old spans (VA 5 over Chickahominy River near Williamsburg, VA)

Golden Gate Bridge

New River Gorge Bridge (on Bridge Day)

kurumi

Quote from: Indyroads on September 12, 2013, 09:44:33 AM
...the Auburn Foresthill Bridge.

I've done that one too. It's just a few miles off I-80 in Auburn, CA; well worth a detour. Fourth highest bridge in the US: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foresthill_Bridge
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

ET21

Golden Gate the morning of my flight back home. The only morning where there was no fog, sunrise on the skyline. That was awesome
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Buck87

- Newport Southbank Bridge (Purple People Bridge)
- Taylor—Southgate Bridge

These are both across the Ohio River in downtown Cincinnati. On a trip to an Indians @ Reds game a friend of mine and I parked on the Kentucky side, ate at Hofbräuhaus Newport, then walked across the NSB to get to the game and came back across the TSB afterwards.

- Paso del Norte International Bridge

Over the Rio Grande between El Paso and Juarez. This was just a "let's given the kids a chance to say they've been to Mexico" thing my Dad had us do on a family vacation to the southwest. We parked in El Paso, walked across the bridge (cost a quarter per person), then we went all of about 2 blocks into Juarez, nosed around a shop or two, then walked back having spent a grand total of 30 minutes there.

- B & O Railroad Potomac River Crossing

There are 2 historic railroad bridges across the Potomac from Maryland into Harpers Ferry. One of them has a pedestrian bridge attached to it that carries the Appalachian trail. While visiting Harpers Ferry I walked across it just for the hell of it. I've also been across the other bridge on an Amtrak train.

- Burnside's Bridge

A stone arch bridge in Maryland that saw a lot of action during the Battle of Antietam in September of 1863

- Liberty Bridge at Falls Park on the Reedy

This neat pedestrian bridge in Greenville, SC:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.