News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Strange Implosion

Started by roadman65, May 06, 2021, 09:19:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Most implosions bring the structure down. This one purposely toppled it.
https://youtu.be/fZbFNPL6td8

The former ITT tower in Nutley,  NJ that one was seen for miles especially on NJ 21.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kkt

Quote from: roadman65 on May 06, 2021, 09:19:00 AM

The former ITT tower in Nutley,  NJ that one was seen for miles especially on NJ 21.

I'm surprised they couldn't think of anything worth doing with the tower. Cell phone antennas?

renegade

Was the collapse of the tower supposed to take out the rest of the building?
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

triplemultiplex

The best part was when the building fell down!
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

tolbs17

Like the leaning tower of Pisa.

Mr. Matté

Quote from: triplemultiplex on May 06, 2021, 03:26:09 PM
The best part was when the building fell down!

Yeah... maybe people got hurt...

jeffandnicole

Quote from: kkt on May 06, 2021, 01:16:13 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on May 06, 2021, 09:19:00 AM

I'm surprised they couldn't think of anything worth doing with the tower. Cell phone antennas?

It was imploded in 1996, when pagers were more common than cell phones. And it wasn't a small tower normally used for cell antennas - it was an actual building.. It would have been very expensive to maintain and secure.

Road Hog

I don't see how toppling it was preferred to just collapsing it on itself. The cleanup footprint was widely expanded and made more expensive.

GaryV

More expensive?  It's the same amount of debris either way.  And those running the machine(s) doing the scooping up don't really care if they're getting it from one tall pile or one long pile.  The long pile might even be preferred, since the debris is more spread out and more machines can work on it at the same time.  Plus it's likely to be less tangled together.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Road Hog on May 10, 2021, 12:49:04 AM
I don't see how toppling it was preferred to just collapsing it on itself. The cleanup footprint was widely expanded and made more expensive.

If you watch, it starts to come straight down, then falls to the side.

The reason why? Unless something went wrong, months of planning and consideration for way more things than just putting a few explosives in the building.

They imploded a building in AC recently, and that had to come straight down due to other buildings in the area. They actually twisted the building as it came down. The resulting debris field was compact but several stories high, and that in itself is a hazard to clean up hoping there's no voids hidden within the pile.

GenExpwy

Maybe it was the same crew that worked on the Northaird Point demolition in England.

MCRoads

Tall, narrow structures are usually demolished like this. Look at most, if not all, smokestack demolitions. My guess is that it's because if it went straight down, there is a chance it could have fallen over anyway, but in any direction. Toppling it over in a certain direction allows them to control where it goes.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.