News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Bridges that were designed to carry no traffic

Started by kphoger, July 13, 2021, 03:46:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Thought you meant auto.  Well High Bridge in NYC was built to carry water before it opened to pedestrians.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

JayhawkCO

I get it's still traffic of a kind, but I-70 use to have one of Stapleton's runways over the top of it here in Denver.

Chris

kphoger

Quote from: jayhawkco on July 14, 2021, 12:21:00 PM
I get it's still traffic of a kind, but I-70 use to have one of Stapleton's runways over the top of it here in Denver.

I remember that, I think.  I-190 at O'Hare as well.  There's a runway across Central Avenue here in Wichita.  But yes, those are bridges designed to carry traffic.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jakeroot

Truss structure carrying two pipelines over the Puyallup River, near Orting, Washington (about an hour south of Seattle):

https://goo.gl/maps/J9pet4en8vknXQGJ9

I think it was built in the 1930s. It was originally adjacent to the first McCutcheon bridge, before that bridge was rebuilt in the 1990s.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: kphoger on July 14, 2021, 12:28:31 PM

I remember that, I think.  I-190 at O'Hare as well.  There's a runway across Central Avenue here in Wichita.  But yes, those are bridges designed to carry traffic.

Sepulveda

jakeroot

There are some dramatically large bridge structures to hold runway approach lighting at Seatac Airport, in Seattle:

https://goo.gl/maps/sSdejUxotB1hghqa8

They pass over the valleys north of the airport, as well as the WA-518 freeway.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: kphoger on July 14, 2021, 12:28:31 PM

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on July 14, 2021, 02:07:49 PM
Sepulveda

Schiphol Airport near Amsterdam has two of these over the A4 freeway (Euroroute E19).  The southern taxiway has a bridge over A4, then the A4 tunnels under the main east-west runway and associated taxiways.  In this case, the reason this is unusual is that all of Schiphol is some 13 feet below sea level.  The name Schiphol means the same in English, "ship hole" (essentially a turning basin for the old long-abandoned inland seaport).

Mr. Matté

Quote from: Big John on July 13, 2021, 06:35:51 PM
I-376 in Pittsburgh has a bridge over it whose purpose is to collect falling concrete from the crumbling arch bridge above it.

That one has since been removed with the complete replacement of the upper bridge.

CNGL-Leudimin

At one point one such bridge, the Hegigio Gorge Pipeline Bridge in Papua New Guinea, held the World's highest bridge title. It has been since surpassed by no less than 6 Chinese expressway bridges. In fact it is still the only one of the top 10 highest bridges not to carry a freeway, and one of only 2 outside China (the other is in Mexico).
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

kphoger

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on July 22, 2021, 05:36:16 AM
At one point one such bridge, the Hegigio Gorge Pipeline Bridge in Papua New Guinea, held the World's highest bridge title. It has been since surpassed by no less than 6 Chinese expressway bridges. In fact it is still the only one of the top 10 highest bridges not to carry a freeway, and one of only 2 outside China (the other is in Mexico).

What is the one in Mexico?  I ask because Puente Baluarte carries a freeway–it just happens to be a two-lane freeway.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

CNGL-Leudimin

Well, I meant it is one of the only two of the 10 highest bridges overall (i.e. carrying anything) to be outside China, the other, as you said, is the Baluarte bridge.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Flint1979

I-376 in Pittsburgh has a bridge over it whose purpose is to collect falling concrete from the crumbling arch bridge above it.
That bridge has been removed and a new bridge has been built in the same spot. The new bridge is about 4 years old now.

kphoger

Quote from: Mr. Matté on July 19, 2021, 12:22:08 PM

That one has since been removed with the complete replacement of the upper bridge.

Quote from: Flint1979 on July 28, 2021, 09:09:26 AM

That bridge has been removed and a new bridge has been built in the same spot. The new bridge is about 4 years old now.

Is that one still there?  I've heard it was removed.
Male pronouns, please.

sbeaver44

The Watchung Reserve in NJ has wildlife bridges over I-78.

Hagerstown Airport runway goes over US 11 but not sure that counts?

SM-T290

kphoger

Quote from: sbeaver44 on July 28, 2021, 08:57:11 PM
The Watchung Reserve in NJ has wildlife bridges over I-78.

Hagerstown Airport runway goes over US 11 but not sure that counts?

As I am the OP, I'll say that animals and airplanes both count as "traffic".
Male pronouns, please.

wriddle082

Near Franklin Furnace, OH, there is a cable suspension pipeline bridge over the Ohio River, maybe a mile or so downstream from the Greenup Locks and Dam.  It can be seen from US 52 here https://goo.gl/maps/pZj4wqNanJ7ap6XH8 and can also be seen from KY 3116 (Old US 23) (no GSV).  I want to say it's a natural gas pipeline but it could be petroleum.  Been around for as long as I can remember.

Big John

Since my previous example has been demolished, I'll come up with a coal-carrying viaduct over US 83 near Flkirk ND.

sbeaver44

Quote from: Big John on July 29, 2021, 06:54:25 PM
Since my previous example has been demolished, I'll come up with a coal-carrying viaduct over US 83 near Flkirk ND.
I believe it has also been demolished but there was a coal bridge over PA 88 and the Mon River near Fredericktown

DandyDan

In Plattsmouth, Nebraska north of the toll bridge and the BNSF bridge is a pipeline suspension bridge at the Missouri River.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

ethanhopkin14

cpzilliacus

Quote from: kphoger on July 13, 2021, 03:46:25 PM
What bridges were built for reasons other than carrying traffic of any kind–not pedestrian, rail, vehicle, or otherwise?

Years ago, there was a coal conveyor system that crossed WV-93 in Bismarck that carried coal from the mine located north of WV-93 to Dominion Virginia Power's large coal-fired Mount Storm Generating Station.  I presume that the supply of coal that could be recovered from the mine at the other end of the conveyor ran out, and so the conveyor was shut-down and dismantled (this was years before ADHS Corridor H was constructed in this area).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

US 89

There is a coal conveyor system in Utah's Wasatch Plateau that begins at the Skyline Mine and crosses SR 264 and SR 96 on its way to a railroad terminal just north of Clear Creek.

tolbs17

This can be one of them since it's cut off and a bridge replacement here would be a waste.

1819 I-42
https://maps.app.goo.gl/TGHrncUzqu3Xo2RK8

dlsterner

Quote from: tolbs17 on December 22, 2021, 12:30:15 PM
This can be one of them since it's cut off and a bridge replacement here would be a waste.

1819 I-42

Google Street View from one of the (now cut off) side roads seems to imply that the former crossing was at-grade, and there was never a bridge there in the first place.

https://goo.gl/maps/hhctCm2KgtGmTUL28

tolbs17

Quote from: dlsterner on December 22, 2021, 07:14:18 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on December 22, 2021, 12:30:15 PM

1819 I-42

Google Street View from one of the (now cut off) side roads seems to imply that the former crossing was at-grade, and there was never a bridge there in the first place.

https://goo.gl/maps/hhctCm2KgtGmTUL28
There is a bridge at that crossing. It goes over a creek. Thought I put the right coordinates, but it's this.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.