National Boards > Bridges

Fancy bridges in the middle of nowhere

<< < (8/9) > >>

Bruce:
The Ione Bridge, built in 1932 to cross the Pend Oreille River and connect a town of 500 people with some forests tucked away in the northeast corner of Washington state.

Flint1979:
Does the Mackinac Bridge count? I sure feel like I'm in the middle of nowhere when I'm on it.

GaryV:
Did you ever cross the Mac at night, in winter, in a snowstorm?  Then you truly feel in the middle of nowhere.  Snow is flying toward your windshield and it looks like you're still going up, even after you see (for about 2 seconds) the main cables lowest point.  I know now why pilots crash their planes into a mountain when they didn't believe their instruments.

Flint1979:

--- Quote from: GaryV on August 26, 2021, 07:12:11 AM ---Did you ever cross the Mac at night, in winter, in a snowstorm?  Then you truly feel in the middle of nowhere.  Snow is flying toward your windshield and it looks like you're still going up, even after you see (for about 2 seconds) the main cables lowest point.  I know now why pilots crash their planes into a mountain when they didn't believe their instruments.

--- End quote ---
I have and it's an experience to be honest about it. I've come across there at 3 in the morning before with snow flying and you could only see for maybe a quarter of a mile ahead if that. I was driving like 20 mph and it took about 15 minutes to cross it for those 15 minutes it was like omg am I going to make it across. I've also traveled across in some wind gusts before and could feel the bridge moving back and forth when I was on it.

Last time I came across the bridge was about two weeks ago and it was very foggy and you couldn't see anything except for the bridge right in front of you. The fog started going away as I was going through Indian River.

Flint1979:

--- Quote from: GaryV on August 26, 2021, 07:12:11 AM ---Did you ever cross the Mac at night, in winter, in a snowstorm?  Then you truly feel in the middle of nowhere.  Snow is flying toward your windshield and it looks like you're still going up, even after you see (for about 2 seconds) the main cables lowest point.  I know now why pilots crash their planes into a mountain when they didn't believe their instruments.

--- End quote ---
Honestly that is the scariest part of the bridge to me is where the suspension cables are even with the bridge deck and your about 200 feet above the water.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version