National Boards > Bridges

The longest bridge in New Orleans, and other counter-intuitive bridge facts!

<< < (3/3)

Urban Prairie Schooner:

--- Quote from: Roadgeekteen on August 18, 2021, 11:38:12 PM ---I wonder why they don't count it as a bridge.

--- End quote ---
They are technically viaducts that cross land for the most part, though the land in question is swamp/marsh that is non-viable for a surface route.

jeffandnicole:

--- Quote from: Urban Prairie Schooner on September 10, 2021, 09:32:56 PM ---
--- Quote from: Roadgeekteen on August 18, 2021, 11:38:12 PM ---I wonder why they don't count it as a bridge.

--- End quote ---
They are technically viaducts that cross land for the most part, though the land in question is swamp/marsh that is non-viable for a surface route.

--- End quote ---

A viaduct is still a bridge.

Every bridge that goes over another roadway is a bridge over land, but they're not termed viaducts.

MCRoads:

--- Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 10, 2021, 10:14:24 PM ---
--- Quote from: Urban Prairie Schooner on September 10, 2021, 09:32:56 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

A viaduct is still a bridge.

Every bridge that goes over another roadway is a bridge over land, but they're not termed viaducts.

--- End quote ---

The Atchafalaya Basin Bridge goes over similarly swampy land, and it is considered one of the longest bridges in the world. Also, the official longest road bridge in the world is an urban expressway, so make of that what you will…

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version