National Boards > Bridges

The longest bridge in New Orleans, and other counter-intuitive bridge facts!

<< < (2/3) > >>

MCRoads:

--- Quote from: kphoger on August 19, 2021, 10:01:36 AM ---So, the longest bridge is actually three short bridges.

meh.

--- End quote ---

The 55 and 10 bridges are both around 20 miles long, so they aren’t really “short”..

Rothman:

--- Quote from: MCRoads on August 19, 2021, 02:42:43 PM ---
--- Quote from: kphoger on August 19, 2021, 10:01:36 AM ---So, the longest bridge is actually three short bridges.

meh.

--- End quote ---

The 55 and 10 bridges are both around 20 miles long, so they aren’t really “short”..

--- End quote ---

Sure they are, when making appropriate comparisons.

US 89:
Always wondered what the longest bridge structure in the US was. I've always been impressed every time I've gone to Charleston and driven I-526, which has a 5 mile long viaduct from US 52/78 across the Cooper River to Clements Ferry Road near Daniel Island.

SteveG1988:
It is a decently big structure, but it is three different projects all linked into each other. The i-55 bridge has one ding against it... it's a bridge due to just being above a body of water in a swamp, if it was built at an earlier period of history it would probably have been on landfill with no care taken for the enviroment, like US51 next to it.

roadman65:
I believe they mean the Ponchatrain is the longest single continuous structure in the US.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version