New River Gorge Bridge Day cancelled again

Started by Dirt Roads, September 30, 2021, 09:37:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirt Roads

https://www.wvgazettemail.com/news/bridge-day-canceled-again/article_01613627-d22d-5249-87e3-cfc168ce5040.html
https://www.wvpublic.org/section/arts-culture/2021-09-22/base-jumping-canceled-at-bridge-day

Just a month ago, Bridge Day organizers tepidly approved holding the annual New River Gorge Bridge Day, after the urging of Gov. Jim Justice.  Two days ago, the Base Jumping Coordinator for the event decided to cancel that popular activity due to concerns about the current capability of local emergency services to handle potential emergencies [along with other the COVID crisis].  Accordingly, the Bridge Day Commission voted unanimously yesterday to go ahead and cancel the entire event.  The so-called controversy is that the one vote from the Fayette County Commissioners was not based on concerns about emergency services, but rather about the fact that some of the base jumpers were concerned about the lack of [speedy transportation back up from the river].

hbelkins

Is it really necessary to cancel the whole thing just because people aren't jumping off the bridge? Must they also put a stop to the vendor booths and food sales and other events around the day?

And why call it off because of the BASE jumpers? Years ago, there was rappelling off the bridge. I remember reading a narrative about how the rappellers looked like spiders dangling from webs from the floor of the gorge. And I seem to think that at one time, bungee jumping was allowed as well, although I don't think it has been in recent years.  Why not carry own without the BASE jumpers? That weekend is a perfect time for a festival in the area as the foliage is usually at its peak.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: hbelkins on October 01, 2021, 07:39:31 PM
Is it really necessary to cancel the whole thing just because people aren't jumping off the bridge? Must they also put a stop to the vendor booths and food sales and other events around the day?

Bridge Day was certainly popular before bungee jumping became the norm.  It was intended so that the average Joe could walk the bridge and get a better feel for how deep the Gorge really is.

Quote from: hbelkins on October 01, 2021, 07:39:31 PM
And why call it off because of the BASE jumpers? Years ago, there was rappelling off the bridge. I remember reading a narrative about how the rappellers looked like spiders dangling from webs from the floor of the gorge. And I seem to think that at one time, bungee jumping was allowed as well, although I don't think it has been in recent years.  Why not carry own without the BASE jumpers? That weekend is a perfect time for a festival in the area as the foliage is usually at its peak.

The Base jumpers seem to control things.  They were able to get bungee jumping stopped in the mid-1990s, since they are not allowed to jump while the bungees are in motion.  I don't know about the volumes, but it seems reasonable that Base jumping can push through (errgh, push over) more folks per hours.  It is certainly possible that Bridge Day couldn't financially function without the Base jumpers.  (If you follow the other argument, it does appear that Fayette County is nearing the peak of this COVID cycle).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.