Words or phrases you will never say or repeat

Started by hbelkins, August 04, 2022, 02:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayhawkCO

Quote from: thspfc on August 17, 2022, 06:04:11 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on August 17, 2022, 09:13:14 AM
Does anyone really pay attention to the actual records vs. just looking at points?
I do. Guess it's a habit I have from following football and basketball. I do think "14W-12T-12L" paints a better picture of how good a team is than "54 points" does.

I guess I just look at points and how far behind or ahead of the competition my team is and I translate that to relative wins and draws.

bwana39

If I cannot repeat them to say I could not repeat them to say I would never repeat them!

Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

ran4sh

Quote from: thspfc on August 17, 2022, 06:00:54 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on August 17, 2022, 02:30:27 PM
Quote from: thspfc on August 17, 2022, 08:33:31 AM
In soccer, ties should be listed before losses. With ties being very common, it makes sense to go in descending order of the results.

Now, in football where ties are not common, it makes sense for ties to be listed last so that we don't have to say "x-0-x"  for all the teams who haven't tied a game.

Ties used to be quite common in hockey, too, but the standings were always written as W—L—T (until they added that stupid fourth column in 1999, when it became W—L—T—OTL, and now of course there are no ties so it's just W—L—OTL).
How is an overtime win worth the same as a regular win, yet an overtime loss is worth more than a regular loss? Dumb. Hockey should go by straight W-L record.

Some people think it should be the opposite, a loss should count the same either overtime or regulation, while a win in overtime should be worth fewer points than a win in regulation. In order to incentivize attempting to score and win the game in regulation.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

SSOWorld

American Scores: Winner 27, Loser 0
International scores Loser 27 0 Winner (sic)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

JoePCool14

"DuSable Lake Shore Drive" - It's just Lake Shore Drive. I don't appreciate the way all of a sudden an extra name has been attached to it.

Saying someone or something should go to hell, even in a joking context - Self-explanatory.

"finna" - What does this even mean? This is absolutely younger, still-in-high school Gen Z terminology. It's stupid.

Describing an object as "sexy" - Just doesn't make sense, and I'd prefer our world didn't revolve around sex more than it already does.  :spin:

Using the to describe a numbered highway, i.e., "the 5" or "the 41" - Being from the Midwest, I don't think I ever hear anyone refer to routes this way. Of course, much of the time you'll hear expressway names used, in which case it would be "the Tri-state" or "the Stevenson".

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

hotdogPi

Quote from: JoePCool14 on August 20, 2022, 08:02:02 AM
Saying someone or something should go to hell, even in a joking context - Self-explanatory.

Even autocorrect going to he'll?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.