News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Other National Chains That Are Shells Of Their Former Selfs.

Started by thenetwork, August 09, 2022, 07:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: Pink Jazz on September 12, 2022, 09:54:15 AM
A dish that is becoming harder to find recently is veal parmigiana. Animal cruelty issues as well as COVID-19 are leading to the dish's demise, making it hard for Italian restaurants to keep it on their menus. It's mainly the more upscale, non-chain Italian restaurants that still have it on their menus.

Cows don't give milk until they give birth, so veal is a byproduct of the dairy industry.  I was surprised walking down a road to see veal crates being used.  Even if it's not fashionable to buy veal, young calves are still being separated from their mothers to keep them from drinking up the product.

6a

York Steak House once had around 200 locations. Now only one remains in Columbus, Ohio. I was just in there recently and it looks like it hasn't changed one bit.

kphoger

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on September 13, 2022, 11:07:52 PM

A dish that is becoming harder to find recently is veal parmigiana. Animal cruelty issues as well as COVID-19 are leading to the dish's demise, making it hard for Italian restaurants to keep it on their menus. It's mainly the more upscale, non-chain Italian restaurants that still have it on their menus.

Cows don't give milk until they give birth, so veal is a byproduct of the dairy industry.  I was surprised walking down a road to see veal crates being used.  Even if it's not fashionable to buy veal, young calves are still being separated from their mothers to keep them from drinking up the product.

Yeah, "separating calves" is going to be a thing, whether people are eating veal or not.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: kphoger on September 15, 2022, 09:18:40 AM

Yeah, "separating calves" is going to be a thing, whether people are eating veal or not.

BTW, contrary to popular belief, veal parmigiana is not the traditional Italian version of the dish and does not exist in Italy. The only traditional Italian version of the dish is eggplant parmigiana, while chicken and veal parmigiana are Italian-American creations.

Rothman

Quote from: Pink Jazz on September 15, 2022, 11:51:45 AM

BTW, contrary to popular belief, veal parmigiana is not the traditional Italian version of the dish and does not exist in Italy. The only traditional Italian version of the dish is eggplant parmigiana, while chicken and veal parmigiana are Italian-American creations.
Thank goodness.  Eggplant is mushy yuckiness.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

JayhawkCO

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

abefroman329

abefroman329

Quote from: Pink Jazz on September 15, 2022, 11:51:45 AM

You think that's bad, research the parmo.  It was introduced to England by an American military cook after WWII, and it replaces the mozzarella with bechamel or cheddar, omits the marinara entirely, and is served on a bed of French fries.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Scott5114

Quote from: NE2 on September 15, 2022, 06:53:03 PM
The U.S. Supreme Court.

For it to be considered a chain, there has to be more than one location.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

abefroman329

kphoger

Ben Franklin Stores.

Or, better yet, V&S Variety Stores.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Quote from: abefroman329 on September 15, 2022, 08:25:32 PM

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 15, 2022, 06:58:30 PM

The U.S. Supreme Court.

Also, compared to when?

It's NE2.  The answer probably has something to do with xenophobic tushy jesters.
Male pronouns, please.

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on September 15, 2022, 08:30:20 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on September 15, 2022, 08:25:32 PM

The U.S. Supreme Court.

Also, compared to when?

It's NE2.  The answer probably has something to do with xenophobic tushy jesters.
I mean, I'm not gonna say this court hasn't handed down some awful opinions, but, like, so were Plessy v. Ferguson, Korematsu, hell, Citizens United and Kelo, if you want to get more recent.

kphoger

Quote from: abefroman329 on September 16, 2022, 02:20:39 PM
I mean, I'm not gonna say this court hasn't handed down some awful opinions, but, like, so were Plessy v. Ferguson, Korematsu, hell, Citizens United and Kelo, if you want to get more recent.

Besides which, "this court" has only been an entity for eleven weeks...
Male pronouns, please.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on September 16, 2022, 02:23:30 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on September 16, 2022, 02:20:39 PM

Besides which, "this court" has only been an entity for eleven weeks...

And have already managed to make "court" need to be in quotes...

formulanone

The U.S. Supreme Court.

There's an entire circuit of tennis courts, and to a lesser extent, racquetball courts.

Then there's the entirely separate jurisdiction of food courts, which all judgement is handed down by a system of trays.

bing101

Hardee's is it's former self but they just got dragged into being a witness to an FBI investigation involving a very political person in Minnesota a few days ago. Just a few days ago I saw an article with an image with their logo attached to a political person and I thought why is the Carl's Jr Logo being used for an incident in a Minnesota Hardee's.

https://www.fox9.com/news/mypillow-exec-mike-lindell-says-fbi-agents-seized-his-cellphone

Then I realized that Carl's Jr is basically Hardee's in California. Carl's Jr for decades have been a major sponsor for MLB teams in California like Giants, A's, Dodgers, Angels, and Padres. Basically Hardee's is facing a PR problem at the moment.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/lifestyle-buzz/the-odd-reason-hardees-is-mocking-mypillow-ceo-mike-lindell/ar-AA11RwC2

https://www.mashed.com/919290/the-humble-origin-of-carls-jr/

Rothman

Heh.  Bit behind the times on Hardee's/Carl's Jr. :D

If anything, the cell phone of the Mr. Pillow guy being picked up at Hardee's has been a PR boon for them.

bing101

Quote from: Rothman on September 17, 2022, 11:16:25 AM
Heh.  Bit behind the times on Hardee's/Carl's Jr. :D

If anything, the cell phone of the Mr. Pillow guy being picked up at Hardee's has been a PR boon for them.
True I only know them for their edgy ads in California at halftime or between innings on TV here under the Carl's Jr name.

hbelkins

My first experience at a Carl's Jr. was last year in Burlington, Colo. I was surprised at the differences between the menu there and the things I'm used to seeing at Hardee's in this region.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Scott5114

Oklahoma was one of the markets that shifted from Hardee's to Carl's Jr back in like the 90s or so. I'm not quite sure why they feel like this area would do better under the Carl's Jr. name and menu than Hardee's (when Kansas and Missouri both have Hardee's and aren't too meaningfully different from Oklahoma in many respects).

The Carl's Jr. in Purcell, OK still has a sign out front using the classic Hardee's logo, from before the Carl's Jr. star was added to Hardee's branding.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 17, 2022, 08:10:09 PM
I'm not quite sure why they feel like this area would do better under the Carl's Jr. name and menu than Hardee's

Because Oklahoma wants to be like Texas.
Male pronouns, please.

Rothman

Quote from: kphoger on September 19, 2022, 01:56:44 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on September 17, 2022, 08:10:09 PM
I'm not quite sure why they feel like this area would do better under the Carl's Jr. name and menu than Hardee's

Because Oklahoma wants to be like Texas.
I thought those two states had a war.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.