News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Average Age of an AARoads Forum user.

Started by TMETSJETSYT, August 26, 2022, 08:39:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozarkman417

Quote from: JayhawkCO on August 26, 2022, 10:58:37 AM
Quote from: 1 on August 26, 2022, 10:57:52 AM
I actually think it's significantly less, maybe 27.

If you do it post by post maybe it skews that young.  :biggrin:
On the flipside, If we rank by road meets attended... the numbers will skew older. There are reasons for this, namely that younger folks (teens) are less likely to have a license, reliable car, or spending money.

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: SkyPesos on August 29, 2022, 01:31:49 PM
In some East Asian cultures, you start off as 1 year old at birth instead of 0, so your "real age" is 1 higher than what it really is. I'm not sure if Spanish culture have something similar.

Nope, age reckoning in Spain is like in the USA. I claim to be one year younger than I actually am because my birthday, in April, was in the middle of the coronavirus lockdown in 2020, and as result I was forced to cancel it that year and thus I don't count it.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

royo6022

Almost 22, been here since I was 18/19 ish.
2d Interstates traveled: 4, 10, 15, 39, 40, 44, 57, 64, 65, 66, 68, 69, 70, 71, 74, 75, 76, 78, 79, 80, 81, 88, 90, 94, 95

Big John

kphoger

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on August 29, 2022, 02:18:50 PM
I claim to be one year younger than I actually am because my birthday, in April, was in the middle of the coronavirus lockdown in 2020, and as result I was forced to cancel it that year and thus I don't count it.

You canceled your birthday party?  That's not at all the same thing.  I mean, if I don't have to count any birthdays just because I didn't have a party, then I could do the same thing but for different reasons.  For example, on one of my birthdays I was in the middle of a huge fight with my girlfriend, she told me she "needed space", and it was about the worst birthday ever.  Does that count as a -1 instead of a +1 to my age?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on August 29, 2022, 06:21:58 PM
I claim to be one year younger than I actually am because my birthday, in April, was in the middle of the coronavirus lockdown in 2020, and as result I was forced to cancel it that year and thus I don't count it.

You canceled your birthday party?  That's not at all the same thing.  I mean, if I don't have to count any birthdays just because I didn't have a party, then I could do the same thing but for different reasons.  For example, on one of my birthdays I was in the middle of a huge fight with my girlfriend, she told me she "needed space", and it was about the worst birthday ever.  Does that count as a -1 instead of a +1 to my age?

This is the guy who unilaterally changed the name of the 2020 Olympics and refuses to call K-96 by its real name.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on August 29, 2022, 08:17:25 AM
The age I show is my legal age, which differs from my real age because I had to cancel my birthday once

Wait a minute.  Let's back up here a bit.

In that first quote, you imply that your "real age" is one year younger than your legal age.  This, because I assume your legal age didn't skip a year, and therefore you legally turned one year older on your canceled birthday.

However, in the second quote, you admit that the age you claim to be is one year younger than the age you "actually" are.

So aren't you saying that your "real age" is not the same as the age you "actually" are?  Isn't that a contradiction?  Aren't reality and actuality the same thing?  (I'm not asking Immanuel Kant.)
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

kalvado

Quote from: kphoger on August 29, 2022, 07:28:44 PM
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on August 29, 2022, 08:17:25 AM
The age I show is my legal age, which differs from my real age because I had to cancel my birthday once

Wait a minute.  Let's back up here a bit.

In that first quote, you imply that your "real age" is one year younger than your legal age.  This, because I assume your legal age didn't skip a year, and therefore you legally turned one year older on your canceled birthday.

However, in the second quote, you admit that the age you claim to be is one year younger than the age you "actually" are.

So aren't you saying that your "real age" is not the same as the age you "actually" are?  Isn't that a contradiction?  Aren't reality and actuality the same thing?  (I'm not asking Immanuel Kant.)
Actual age likely means the number used to buy alcohol, while the real number is kept secret and is only revealed to girls ...

US 89

So my 80 year old grandma can be 60 if she just cancels her last 20 years worth of birthdays? She'll be thrilled. We've solved one of the greatest problems faced by humanity.

Scott5114

Hey, sports fans believe you can cancel a team winning a game by administrative fiat. If that's possible, anything is.

webny99

I think he's saying it counts at +0, not +1 or -1

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on August 30, 2022, 08:23:27 AM

I think he's saying it counts at +0, not +1 or -1

For him, yes, because of COVID.  I was just supposing that maybe having to cancel a birthday party with plenty of advance notice isn't quite as bad as finding oneself in the middle of relationship purgatory.
Male pronouns, please.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 30, 2022, 03:21:19 AM
Hey, sports fans believe you can cancel a team winning a game by administrative fiat. If that's possible, anything is.

I don't think they do, actually.

My favorite is that IOC pretends that the 1906 Intercalary Games never took place.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

hbelkins

If a birthday only counts if you had a party, then I'm exactly 0 years old.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: hbelkins on August 30, 2022, 12:06:19 PM

You've never had a birthday party?

kphoger

Quote from: hbelkins on August 30, 2022, 12:06:19 PM

Even when you were one year old?
Male pronouns, please.

skluth

Quote from: US 89 on August 30, 2022, 01:31:00 AM
So my 80 year old grandma can be 60 if she just cancels her last 20 years worth of birthdays? She'll be thrilled. We've solved one of the greatest problems faced by humanity.

Oh, how nice it would be to be under 40 again. No HBP pills. No waking up and discovering I hurt myself yesterday but didn't notice until today. No waking up to pee five times/night. Actually having hair above my eyebrows. Of course, I'd have to go back to work and cell phones would be the size of a shoebox, but at least my friends could meet me as I got off the plane rather than at baggage claim. :spin:

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

J N Winkler

There are 16 members of the AARoads forum with post counts over 10,000 who give ages on their respective profiles that are not obviously unreasonable.  The average of these stated ages is 40.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

Quote from: J N Winkler on August 30, 2022, 08:50:26 PM
There are 16 members of the AARoads forum with post counts over 10,000 who give ages on their respective profiles that are not obviously unreasonable.  The average of these stated ages is 40.

I'm 41, for what it's worth.
Male pronouns, please.

webny99

Quote from: J N Winkler on August 30, 2022, 08:50:26 PM
There are 16 members of the AARoads forum with post counts over 10,000 who give ages on their respective profiles that are not obviously unreasonable.

Pointing out the obvious here, that excludes NE2.  :-D

Roadgeekteen

I'm one of the youngest users on here, but not the youngest. I know of at least one younger one. I used to reference being the second younger forum member in my signature, but I believe the youngest quit. I wonder who the oldest user is. And I have noticed that the younger users tend to post a lot more than the older users.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Scott5114

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on August 31, 2022, 02:51:16 AM
I wonder who the oldest user is.

I'm fairly sure we have users somewhere in the 70-80 range. I'm not sure if we have anyone older than 80.

Of course, it's kind of hard being able to tell that accurately, because if a user has their birthdate on their profile, their displayed age will continue to increase, even if, ah, the user's actual age is no longer increasing.

hotdogPi

Fred Defender is listed as 107 now and made his last post in 2016. That would put him as 101 when he (likely) died.

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=12936
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.