News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Queen Elizabeth II dies at age 96

Started by NWI_Irish96, September 08, 2022, 11:30:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWI_Irish96

Subject title will be edited as circumstances warrant.

Reports from the UK suggest that the Queen does not have long to live.

For anybody under the age of 70, this will be the first British royal death/ascension in our lifetimes.

The new King can choose his own name, so Charles III is not automatic. Phillip, Arthur, and George VII are all possibilities, though all four have drawbacks.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

skluth

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on September 08, 2022, 11:30:01 AM

For anybody under the age of 70, this will be the first British royal death/ascension in our lifetimes.

The new King can choose his own name, so Charles III is not automatic. Phillip, Arthur, and George VII are all possibilities, though all four have drawbacks.

That could be interesting as the Queen's own father was Albert (Bertie) but took the name George VI upon coronation. A new British monarch is so weird because she's been queen since before I was born and I'm on Social Security.

abefroman329

Quote from: skluth on September 08, 2022, 12:01:07 PM

That could be interesting as the Queen's own father was Albert (Bertie) but took the name George VI upon coronation. A new British monarch is so weird because she's been queen since before I was born and I'm on Social Security.
Also interesting that Prince Charles is 73 and might only rule for 10-20 years, if that.  Once upon a time, there was a lot of scuttlebutt about Charles potentially stepping back and allowing Prince William to become King, but I don't know how seriously that was considered.

1995hoo

Quote from: abefroman329 on September 08, 2022, 12:45:27 PM
Quote from: skluth on September 08, 2022, 12:01:07 PM

Also interesting that Prince Charles is 73 and might only rule for 10-20 years, if that.  Once upon a time, there was a lot of scuttlebutt about Charles potentially stepping back and allowing Prince William to become King, but I don't know how seriously that was considered.

It's unclear whether that could even happen. It's not solely up to the Monarch; Parliament is involved (when Edward VIII abdicated, a statute was passed to effectuate the succession) and the other realms over which the Monarch rules have to be involved as well. It's not so simple as just skipping a generation.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

02 Park Ave

Yes, the Palace has just announced Her Majesty's death.
C-o-H

Henry

Just hearing it on the news; this is a sad day for England.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Roadgeekteen

RIP. Can't believe that churchill was her first prime minister
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

elsmere241

Quote from: Henry on September 08, 2022, 01:40:50 PM
Just hearing it on the news; this is a sad day for England.

Not to mention our friends in Canada, and the rest of the Commonwealth.

jmacswimmer

PM Liz Truss, who was formally appointed by the Queen just 2 days ago at Balmoral, refers to Charles as King Charles III in her remarks following the Queen's passing:

https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/1567938864760717312?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

NWI_Irish96

Didn't occur to me until I heard it mentioned that now they have to produce an entirely new set of currency/coinage.

NWI_Irish96

Confirmed that Charles will use his given name and be known as King Charles III.

ozarkman417

It was only a month ago that I visited an exhibit on Elizabeth II, then the Queen of Canada's Platinum Jubilee at the Government House in Victoria, BC. This visit to Canada was the first time I ever set foot on Commonwealth soil, meaning I waited until the last 0.1% of her reign to do so.

jakeroot

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on September 08, 2022, 02:39:20 PM
Didn't occur to me until I heard it mentioned that now they have to produce an entirely new set of currency/coinage.

Some currency will change, but her image will remain on some level. By all accounts, she's one of the most beloved and well-known monarchs of all time. I don't think they'll be quick to remove her face from anything.

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: jakeroot on September 08, 2022, 02:52:45 PM

Some currency will change, but her image will remain on some level. By all accounts, she's one of the most beloved and well-known monarchs of all time. I don't think they'll be quick to remove her face from anything.

New currency will be produced, but old currency will remain in circulation.

I have several Canadian pennies with George VI on them that came up in loose change.

triplemultiplex

I still don't know what those royals even do. From where I sit, they only serve the purpose of giving douchebag tabloids something to gossip about.
Long live King Andrew! :-D
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

ZLoth

Because she was queen, she was a WW2 truck and ambulance mechanic, and could be called a "gearhead".

I also believe that she was the glue that held what remained of the British empire together. Now that she has passed....
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

thspfc

kphoger

Quote from: thspfc on September 08, 2022, 03:46:35 PM
God couldn't save the queen today.

That depends on your beliefs about salvation.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

J N Winkler

Operation London Bridge is now in effect.  Since the Queen passed away in Scotland, Operation Unicorn also applies, so the first obsequies will be in Edinburgh.

Official website of the UK Government:

Official website of the British monarchy:

"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

jakeroot

Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on September 08, 2022, 03:01:06 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on September 08, 2022, 02:52:45 PM

New currency will be produced, but old currency will remain in circulation.

I have several Canadian pennies with George VI on them that came up in loose change.

I mean new currency. My gut tells me that they (countries that use her face on currency) will continue to put her face on some currency well after her death. Things will continue to be named in her honor, statues erected, etc. Even those who may have disdain for her, likely have their disdain rooted in anti-monarchy values; ergo, nothing personal.

Georgia

The biggest change to the coinage besides the new monarch will be they now face left as QEII faced right

J N Winkler

As far as I am aware, the actual time of the Queen's death has not yet been released.  There was a tweet from the monarchy's official account at 6.41 PM local time, but it has been reported that news was brought to Liz Truss and Keir Starmer in Parliament at 12.21 PM that prompted long faces; BBC anchor Huw Edwards was in a black suit and tie at 1.48 PM; and another BBC anchor tweeted at 3.07 PM that Buckingham Palace had announced the death and retracted it at 3.19 PM, saying no announcement had yet been made.

When I checked the Guardian around noon my local time (six hours behind BST), she was still described as being "under medical supervision."  I actually first learned the news about an hour later through the Washington Post's banner headline.  This all feels very sudden--as recently as two days ago she was only described as having mobility issues that required Truss to fly to Scotland to kiss hands.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: J N Winkler on September 08, 2022, 05:25:55 PM
As far as I am aware, the actual time of the Queen's death has not yet been released.  There was a tweet from the monarchy's official account at 6.41 PM local time, but it has been reported that news was brought to Liz Truss and Keir Starmer in Parliament at 12.21 PM that prompted long faces; BBC anchor Huw Edwards was in a black suit and tie at 1.48 PM; and another BBC anchor tweeted at 3.07 PM that Buckingham Palace had announced the death and retracted it at 3.19 PM, saying no announcement had yet been made.

When I checked the Guardian around noon my local time (six hours behind BST), she was still described as being "under medical supervision."  I actually first learned the news about an hour later through the Washington Post's banner headline.  This all feels very sudden--as recently as two days ago she was only described as having mobility issues that required Truss to fly to Scotland to kiss hands.

Seems like they were waiting for the family to all get there before announcing it, which is reasonable.

bing101

Quote from: jmacswimmer on September 08, 2022, 02:30:50 PM
PM Liz Truss, who was formally appointed by the Queen just 2 days ago at Balmoral, refers to Charles as King Charles III in her remarks following the Queen's passing:

[tweet]1567938864760717312[/tweet]?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet
Damn PM Liz Truss was just elected and Queen Elizabeth lived up to PM Trusses Inauguration to the PM seat.
But it's crazy to think that Queen Elizabeth was inaugurated when Churchill was PM.
Liz Truss is in the crazy position to inaugurate the next King of England right when she is getting ready to set up her cabinet.

https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/prime-ministers-served-queen-elizabeth-ii-89540491

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.