Commercial with people skateboarding down a city street

Started by bandit957, September 20, 2022, 01:02:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Anybody remember this?

A while back - maybe 20 years ago - there was a commercial that showed people skateboarding down a steep hill on a city street in what looked like a medium-sized city. I don't even remember what the commercial was for. It might have been Domino's or something, but I don't even remember.

They might have actually been bicycling, but I think they were skateboarding. I don't even remember now.

Somehow, I got the impression that the city was Sioux Falls, South Dakota.

Anybody else remember this? Was anyone able to identify the city?
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

NJRoadfan

I recall the commercial and can't seem to find it. I seem to recall it involving a long board and possibly Lombard St. in San Francisco or similar looking street.

abefroman329

Kinda sounds like half of the commercials produced between the early 90s and the early 00s.

kirbykart

Quote from: bandit957 on September 20, 2022, 01:02:00 PM
Anybody remember this?

A while back - maybe 20 years ago - there was a commercial that showed people skateboarding down a steep hill on a city street in what looked like a medium-sized city. I don't even remember what the commercial was for. It might have been Domino's or something, but I don't even remember.

They might have actually been bicycling, but I think they were skateboarding. I don't even remember now.

Are there any random steep hills in a city in the middle of the prairie with practically no elevation change for 100 miles in any direction? I think not.
San Fran would make a lot more sense, but maybe it was a smaller city like Bradford, PA. My actual guess is the large Pennsylvania metropolis of Pittsburgh. There's about 10,000 streets in Pittsburgh that could meet this criteria. The problem is that most everything seems to be filmed in California, that's why I thought San Fran. Maybe it was the infamous Baxter Street in Los Angeles. Or was it not quite that steep?

kirbykart

Quote from: NJRoadfan on September 20, 2022, 09:47:58 PM
I recall the commercial and can't seem to find it. I seem to recall it involving a long board and possibly Lombard St. in San Francisco or similar looking street.
I doubt many would skateboard down Lombard. Fillmore or 32nd, sure, but not Lombard.

bandit957

Quote from: kirbykart on September 21, 2022, 01:20:08 PM
Are there any random steep hills in a city in the middle of the prairie with practically no elevation change for 100 miles in any direction? I think not.

I think Sioux Falls has a big hill heading south into downtown.

hotdogPi

How could it be named Sioux Falls if there are no elevation changes?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

kirbykart

Quote from: 1 on September 21, 2022, 01:24:39 PM
Because names don't always make sense?
Quote from: bandit957 on September 21, 2022, 01:22:39 PM
Quote from: kirbykart on September 21, 2022, 01:20:08 PM

I think Sioux Falls has a big hill heading south into downtown.
Are we talking an actually big hill, or a small hill that seems big to people who live in the relatively flat prairie?

bandit957

Quote from: kirbykart on September 21, 2022, 01:30:20 PM
Are we talking an actually big hill, or a small hill that seems big to people who live in the relatively flat prairie?

It's actually pretty big.

TheHighwayMan3561

Waterfalls, not land elevation changes.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Rothman

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on September 21, 2022, 02:23:07 PM

Waterfalls, not land elevation changes.
Waterfalls without elevation changes...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

triplemultiplex

You've got the Sioux River coming down off the Coteau des Prairies at Sioux Falls, so there's a legit drop. And the falls itself isn't some glorified rapids:

The Sioux Quartzite provides a resistant layer for the river to plunge over.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Road Hog

Go over that on a barrel and you'll be A-OK.

(Trust me.)

bandit957

Roughly the 700 block of N. Minnesota Ave., looking south into downtown, looks a lot like what I remember.

bing101

Quote from: bandit957 on September 20, 2022, 01:02:00 PM
Anybody remember this?

ESPN2? Back in the 1990's to early 2000's when it first came on the air the XGames had lots of promos to separate itself from ESPN?
Or it could be YouTube in the early ages when the most watch videos at the time were skateboarding videos.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: Road Hog on September 22, 2022, 11:03:42 PM
Go over that on a barrel and you'll be A-OK.

(Trust me.)

That sounds like you have some first hand experience?
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

roadman65

I used to like the RC Cola commercial with the lady skateboarding while drinking her RC.  I believe that David Clayton Thomas (formerly of Blood Sweat and Tears) performed the jingle for the commercial.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.