News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

BASE-BALL

Started by corco, October 28, 2011, 12:45:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jp the roadgeek

Speaking of now former Cubs: SCHWARBER
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

NWI_Irish96

If you're up early, the first USA Olympic baseball game is live on the NBC Sports app right now. Leading Israel 3-1 in the 6th.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Takumi

Me, an Orioles fan, watching fans of the other AL East teams freak out when one of them makes a move

Also RIP Nats
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

gr8daynegb

Baez appears to be a Met.......Kimbrel going to White Sox.  Is Bryant a Cub for 8  or less minutes?
So Lone Star now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: gr8daynegb on July 30, 2021, 03:51:35 PM
Baez appears to be a Met.......Kimbrel going to White Sox.  Is Bryant a Cub for 8  or less minutes?

Kimbrel and Tepera to White Sox
Baez and Williams to Mets
Rizzo to Yankees
Bryant to Giants

Flint1979

Quote from: cabiness42 on July 30, 2021, 04:07:04 PM

Rizzo to Yankees
Bryant to Giants
The Cubs are unloading lol short lived dynasty.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Flint1979 on July 30, 2021, 04:40:39 PM

Rizzo to Yankees
Bryant to Giants
It's no dynasty they one 1 ring.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 30, 2021, 04:41:04 PM

Rizzo to Yankees
Bryant to Giants

That's the joke, everyone was ready to anoint the Cubs as the next dynasty team.

Flint1979

Rizzo to Yankees
Bryant to Giants
No kidding. You'd have to be a Chicago sports fan to get it. The Cubs were suppose to be this up and coming dynasty when they won 5 years ago and it was like a short two year window where they were really good then after that it fell apart. I'm just mocking Cubs fans saying they were going to be a dynasty.

Flint1979

I'm sorry it was four years they were really good but only won once from 2015-2018. If you'd talk to a Cubs fan back then they'd tell you about how they are going to be a dynasty and a great team for years to come. It's always been a mystery why they receive so much attention for being such a bad team for a lot of years.

gr8daynegb

Quote from: Flint1979 on July 30, 2021, 04:45:17 PM

Rizzo to Yankees
Bryant to Giants
No kidding. You'd have to be a Chicago sports fan to get it. The Cubs were suppose to be this up and coming dynasty when they won 5 years ago and it was like a short two year window where they were really good then after that it fell apart. I'm just mocking Cubs fans saying they were going to be a dynasty.

Packers fans get the joke as we know Bears fans keep talking about that one Superbowl in the 1980's with Ditka lol

Stephane Dumas

I saw this clip about the 1919 Black Sox scancal who involved the White Sox in 1919 as well as this clip from the movie "Eight Men Out" depecting this event.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avFgP5Nomq8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEUB2LSsbe8

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on July 31, 2021, 12:31:38 PM
I saw this clip about the 1919 Black Sox scancal who involved the White Sox in 1919 as well as this clip from the movie "Eight Men Out" depecting this event.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avFgP5Nomq8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEUB2LSsbe8

That was a really good movie for what it's worth.  Most networks stopped showing it about a decade ago for whatever reason.  It is kind of grim compared to stuff I see more often like A League Of Their Own and The Natural. 

Flint1979

Regarding the comment I made about the Cubs short lived dynasty this is what another White Sox fan had to say and nothing from here was even mentioned to generate this comment so I will quote what he said and this was in response to another Sox fan accusing Sox fans of hating the Cubs more than liking the Sox.

"Cause of the blatant arrogance of their fans, it's mostly the fans we can't stand & the media's portrayal of them being a dynasty. Most of us are just glad that their so called dynasty was over before it began. Happy to see the arrogant fans cry again over the Ricketts decimation of their roster. That's that & we are in first place & will enjoy the ride this year into the playoff 😂"

Henry

Quote from: Flint1979 on August 01, 2021, 10:14:52 PM
Regarding the comment I made about the Cubs short lived dynasty this is what another White Sox fan had to say and nothing from here was even mentioned to generate this comment so I will quote what he said and this was in response to another Sox fan accusing Sox fans of hating the Cubs more than liking the Sox.

"Cause of the blatant arrogance of their fans, it's mostly the fans we can't stand & the media's portrayal of them being a dynasty. Most of us are just glad that their so called dynasty was over before it began. Happy to see the arrogant fans cry again over the Ricketts decimation of their roster. That's that & we are in first place & will enjoy the ride this year into the playoff 😂"
I deeply resent that sentiment; and furthermore, when the Sox won in '05 I was happy for them, even though I've never been a fan at any point (despite knowing many people who were/are). I remember thinking that night how awesome it would be to see the same thing happen to the Cubs, and eleven years later, it did. Sure, I too am upset that the North Siders traded away their best players, but hey, it was good while it lasted. At least I'll be able to cherish the 2016 World Series championship for the rest of my life.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

bing101

Takumi

Throwing one inflatable trash can on the field: hilarious
Throwing two: ok, you've made your point
Throwing three: you're pushing it
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

CoreySamson

Quote from: Takumi on August 04, 2021, 01:27:30 PM
Throwing one inflatable trash can on the field: hilarious
Throwing two: ok, you've made your point
Throwing three: you're pushing it

LOL

https://twitter.com/Machete1224/status/1422810377008476165
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

gr8daynegb

Quote from: Henry on August 04, 2021, 10:18:24 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on August 01, 2021, 10:14:52 PM

I deeply resent that sentiment; and furthermore, when the Sox won in '05 I was happy for them, even though I've never been a fan at any point (despite knowing many people who were/are). I remember thinking that night how awesome it would be to see the same thing happen to the Cubs, and eleven years later, it did. Sure, I too am upset that the North Siders traded away their best players, but hey, it was good while it lasted. At least I'll be able to cherish the 2016 World Series championship for the rest of my life.

Now if these were Yankees/Red Sox fans would have been hearing how that whole run was a disappoint.  As a Brewers fan I'll take just getting on the board for having a World Series win.  Our 1982 team was a great team(was a baby at the time), but does feel weird celebrating a team that didn't win it all. 

Alps

Idle wondering as to the most players on any team's 25-person roster (ever) that weren't there on opening day. Has any team ever fielded a roster entirely consisting of callups and trades? If not how close have we come?

Flint1979

I see the Yankees are creeping up on the Red Sox now only five games behind them.

bing101

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/31980267/olympics-2021-japan-baseball-wins-gold-medal-usa-baseball
Japan wins Olympic baseball finals.I heard of some of Japan team at one point or another played in the MLB or Japanese Baseball leagues. This was expected.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: bing101 on August 09, 2021, 11:58:20 AM
https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/31980267/olympics-2021-japan-baseball-wins-gold-medal-usa-baseball
Japan wins Olympic baseball finals.I heard of some of Japan team at one point or another played in the MLB or Japanese Baseball leagues. This was expected.

The Japanese and Korean leagues paused their seasons to allow top players to play in the Olympics, so yes, Japan was a huge favorite. For the US to get within 2 runs of them twice was actually a pretty good accomplishment.

Henry

How long before the Ex-Cub Factor takes full effect again? Anthony Rizzo has tested positive for COVID-19...

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31987292/anthony-rizzo-latest-new-york-yankees-player-test-positive-covid-19

(I don't know how many former Cubs are on the Yankees right now, but from what I hear, if any roster has three or more, it's destined to fail. I remember reading about it a long time ago, which I'm guessing is somewhat related to the Curse of the Billy Goat, the big one that caused Chicago to not win a World Series for 108 years)
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: Henry on August 09, 2021, 01:57:18 PM
How long before the Ex-Cub Factor takes full effect again? Anthony Rizzo has tested positive for COVID-19...

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31987292/anthony-rizzo-latest-new-york-yankees-player-test-positive-covid-19

(I don't know how many former Cubs are on the Yankees right now, but from what I hear, if any roster has three or more, it's destined to fail. I remember reading about it a long time ago, which I'm guessing is somewhat related to the Curse of the Billy Goat, the big one that caused Chicago to not win a World Series for 108 years)

So much for the White Sox, then. 

The Sox have four ex-Cubs on their roster:  Dylan Cease, Eloy Jimenez, Ryan Tepera, and Craig Kimbrel.  Plus, manager Tony LaRussa played in one game for the 1973 Cubs, apparently as a pinch-runner as he had no at bats but scored a run.

The Curse of the Billy Goat was in 1945, during their last WS appearance before 2016.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.