News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Route numbers stamped into bridges

Started by mcdonaat, April 23, 2012, 08:06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcdonaat

Around my own state (Louisiana), many of the older bridges have the highway number stamped into the bridge, especially those built along major highways. This really helps when locating older highways, as the route numbers changed in 1955, so many of the route numbers are different than the highway signs say. I've attached a few photos below... is this just a Louisiana thing, or is it a national thing too?

State Route 200 (current LA 34)

State Route No. 152, current LA 19

State Route No. 13, current LA 546

And last, but definitely not least, US 80

Hopefully this isn't just Louisiana, since it makes it so much easier to find older alignments of highways.

Link to a US 90 bridge, recently refurbished - http://g.co/maps/3myr5

SteveG1988

NJ used to do this as well.

Photo From Steve Alps: Former NJ44, now US130

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Urban Prairie Schooner

I have also seen this on a bridge along LA 300 (old LA 63) near Delacroix and the Perkins Road overpass in Baton Rouge.

mcdonaat

Quote from: Urban Prairie Schooner on April 23, 2012, 09:20:19 PM
I have also seen this on a bridge along LA 300 (old LA 63) near Delacroix and the Perkins Road overpass in Baton Rouge.
Any chance you can take a snapshot of it? I'm personally trying to document all of the old highway stamps that I can in the state, have about 35 routes so far

roadman65

The Florida Turnpike overpass over US 17, 92, & 441 has the FL TPK Enterprise shield stamped into it.  This is a new structure that was just built in 05 when the Turnpike was widened.

Also, TOLL FL 408 shields are inscribed in the modified bridges over the streets and roadways of Orlando since it was widened in various stages over the past ten years. Some parts are still under construction like the area around the FL 408 and FL 417 interchange replacing some of the movements of the interchange with new flyovers.  I am guessing that these will have them inscripted into them as well or have already if not.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

US71

Quote from: mcdonaat on April 23, 2012, 08:06:00 PM
Around my own state (Louisiana), many of the older bridges have the highway number stamped into the bridge, especially those built along major highways. This really helps when locating older highways, as the route numbers changed in 1955, so many of the route numbers are different than the highway signs say. I've attached a few photos below... is this just a Louisiana thing, or is it a national thing too?

It must be a state option: Arkansas and Missouri do not, to my knowledge.

But here are some more Louisiana shots:

Baton Rouge

US 11 near Slidell

Near Pineville

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

agentsteel53

Quote from: US71 on April 24, 2012, 09:02:49 AM
[US-61 photo]

does that U/S/61 have holes for cateyes???
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

US71

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 24, 2012, 11:41:36 AM
Quote from: US71 on April 24, 2012, 09:02:49 AM
[US-61 photo]

does that U/S/61 have holes for cateyes???

Yes.
I need to re-shoot that photo now that I have a better camera (that was taken in 2007, I replaced the camera in '08)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

formulanone

Florida does it like this on some of their older bridges:

US Route 301 spanning SR 24 and the Seaboard Air Line Railroad, in Waldo, Florida; built in 1964.

The newer (I'm guessing around the mid-1970s) bridges generally use some sort of black glass material to fashion the letters, and embed them into the concrete on both sides of the bridge.

Interstate 75 at US Route 27 at the former spot of Andytown, Florida; later demolished for the expansion of US 27.

agentsteel53

Quote from: US71 on April 24, 2012, 12:17:26 PM

Yes.
I need to re-shoot that photo now that I have a better camera (that was taken in 2007, I replaced the camera in '08)

fancy.  I'd love to find one with cats intact.

jake@aaroads.com

The High Plains Traveler

Years ago I saw one on Wisconsin 64 in the western part of the state, on a very old bridge that had the route number in the triangle before the time of more modern signage where the rectangle was superimposed. No photo and I think others have documented old Wisconsin bridge signage.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

Hot Rod Hootenanny

The old Perkins Road overpass had the year carved into the abutement, not the route number.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

agentsteel53

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on April 25, 2012, 08:15:36 PM
Years ago I saw one on Wisconsin 64 in the western part of the state, on a very old bridge that had the route number in the triangle before the time of more modern signage where the rectangle was superimposed. No photo and I think others have documented old Wisconsin bridge signage.

I have seen another like it, and I believe it is an 11. 

there is also this stone marker in Baraboo which survives to the present day.

www.aaroads.com/shields/show.php?image=WI19180121&search=12

jake@aaroads.com

florida

I do believe that FL also does things like "Interstate Route ##" or "Interstate ##" on some of the older County Route overpasses dated in the 60s.
So many roads...so little time.

mcdonaat

I like those US 190/61 stamps! The Florida stamps look interesting, since we usually just use both sides, one with the route number, and the other side with the railroad or creek or river. Our Interstate highways have the route stamped as I-XX, at least if it's pre-1965.

If anyone around Baton Rouge wants to get a good photo, the La 64 bridge across the Amite (old State Route 37) is getting replaced. The crew will let people on the site to take photos... I'd love to, but I'm in NE LA

By the way, Texas also chooses not to. The La 12/Tx 12 bridge across the Sabine has the river name and date on the La side, but the concrete is blank on the Tx side.

mcdonaat

By the way, I've included a few more photos at my website. It's just too cumbersome to post all 20+ routes that I have photographed.

If anyone wants to submit a photo or two... I would be happy to credit you to the photo!

http://tinyurl.com/endcaps

The photos are posted in a backwards order, aka the newest photos are first.

roadman65

New Jersey on some bridges have the old NJ State Route numbers on the US Highways still marked in the 30s era bridges.  There are few places on US 46 that have NJ STATE ROUTE 6 stamped on the parapet as well as NJ ROUTE 4 along some old bridges over creeks on US 9.  One bridge in Bridgewater, NJ has both Routes 22 and 28 mentioned together there along US 22.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Urban Prairie Schooner

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on April 25, 2012, 09:25:11 PM
The old Perkins Road overpass had the year carved into the abutement, not the route number.

"STATE HIGHWAY NO. 275" is stamped onto the abutment on the north end.

mcdonaat

Quote from: Urban Prairie Schooner on May 17, 2012, 09:08:51 PM
Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on April 25, 2012, 09:25:11 PM

"STATE HIGHWAY NO. 275" is stamped onto the abutment on the north end.
Any way you can email me a photo of it, if you get a chance? I've been in Baton Rouge for a week, JUST left too, and wanted to see for myself.

D-Dey65

Quote from: florida on April 26, 2012, 03:16:03 AM
I do believe that FL also does things like "Interstate Route ##" or "Interstate ##" on some of the older County Route overpasses dated in the 60s.
Not just interstates, and not just for county routes.
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Hernando-Sumter_CR_476_Bridge;_Cornerstone_Hi-5.JPG

Incidentally, NYSDOT added I-495 stamps to many of the rebuilt bridges of the Long Island Expressway when they were rebuilding it for the HOV Lanes in Medford.

NE2

Quote from: D-Dey65 on June 28, 2012, 04:05:47 PM
Quote from: florida on April 26, 2012, 03:16:03 AM
Not just interstates, and not just for county routes.
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Hernando-Sumter_CR_476_Bridge;_Cornerstone_Hi-5.JPG

Errr, no. This was never SR 5, pre- or post-renumbering. H15 is some sort of bridge loading designation.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

mcdonaat

Just a quick blurb about the US 61 cateye stamp... I blasted my high beams, and it lit up like a disco ball. The quality of the reflectors leaves me in awe. 1940!!

agentsteel53

Quote from: mcdonaat on July 05, 2012, 12:45:54 AM
Just a quick blurb about the US 61 cateye stamp... I blasted my high beams, and it lit up like a disco ball. The quality of the reflectors leaves me in awe. 1940!!

can you get a photo for us please?  even a daylight shot with flash should make it obvious that the cateyes are working.

jake@aaroads.com

bugo

There used to be a train underpass in Birmingham, Alabama, with an Alabama US 78 shield, cutout style, embossed in the concrete sides of the bridge.  I understand that it's gone now.

agentsteel53

Quote from: bugo on July 05, 2012, 01:17:16 PM
There used to be a train underpass in Birmingham, Alabama, with an Alabama US 78 shield, cutout style, embossed in the concrete sides of the bridge.  I understand that it's gone now.

it is.  I have a photo of it from the early 80s.

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.