News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Chicago drawbridges as seen from the river

Started by Brandon, July 08, 2012, 04:45:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

I took a river and lake cruise last week and caught a few photos of some of Chicago's bridges from the river.

Michigan Avenue

State Street

Lake Street (with L tracks above)

Wells Street (with L tracks above)

Dearborn Street

Lake Shore Drive (behind the lock)

Yes, the building is shaped like a boat.

Into the Lake
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

NE2

Do you trust a Chicago drawbridge? I don't either.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

Quote from: NE2 on July 08, 2012, 05:07:33 PM
Do you trust a Chicago drawbridge? I don't either.
The entire time I was up there, they didn't open once. That's pretty trustworthy.

Road Hog

Very cool!

Has Chicago done any development with its riverfront? Looks like very little there except office buildings.

Don't go near the river when Dave Matthews Band is in town, though!  :sombrero:

Mr Downtown

What do you mean?  Are big office buildings not considered development?

If you mean a riverwalk, one is being cobbled together as property is redeveloped.  New projects must observe a 30-foot setback and must build a publicly accessible walkway.  Much of the main branch now can be walked on both banks, and a new city project even allows passage at the river level beneath the Columbus and Michigan Avenue bridges.

For those interested, I'll be doing a lunchtime presentation this Thursday, Sept. 13th, at the Bridgehouse Museum, Wacker at Michigan.  However, the space is small and we expect an overflow crowd.  If weather allows, we'll try to do it outside on the riverwalk.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.