News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Multiple span pony truss bridges

Started by bugo, July 28, 2012, 10:06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

In Oklahoma, there is a 38 span pony truss bridge near Bridgeport over the Canadian River.  The Tulsa metro has 2 19 span pony trusses across the Arkansas River (Jenks and Bixby) that are closed to automobiles but open to pedestrians and bicycles.  Are there any more pony truss bridges in the country that have more than 3 or 4 spans? 

mcdonaat

On the Tunica Trace Scenic Byway (Louisiana Highway 66), there is a five-span pony truss from 1949 crossing Bayou Sara, and it's open to auto traffic.

US71

Mulberry River on AR 23 near Cass has 3
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

bugo

I reckon that Oklahoma is the king of multiple span pony trusses.  I'm pretty sure that nobody else can beat 19 spans, much less 38 spans.

Here are some night shots of the Jenks bridge, between Jenks and Tulsa over the Arkansas River.  This bridge might be former OK 11.

bugo

agentsteel53

US-10 in Glendive, Montana.  5 trusses.

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

bugo

Nice bridge, but it's a through truss.  Multiple span through trusses are much more common than multiple span pony trusses.

agentsteel53

really?  even when the number of trusses exceeds about 10?  I cannot think of any through trusses longer than that much, while you just posted several pony-truss examples.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

frank gifford

Can anyone recommend a good BASIC layman's guide to bridge types and especially components--either on-line or in book form?  I do a lot of photography and it would be nice to provide accurate labels instead of "big steel thingie" when I shoot artistic close-ups. 

And the 38 pony truss bridge near Bridgeport OK was Route 66.  It was built in 1933 (replacing a suspension bridge) and still handles local traffic.     

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

bugo

The 38 span bridge is on US 281, a major highway.

frank gifford

The info at http://pghbridges.com/basics.htm will do the job.  12 pages and free too.  Thanks for that.

bugo

SteveG1988

Here are a few "large" Pony Spans

Tacony Palmyra Bridge: Pony truss approaches,pony truss draw span, through arch main span (or one of the main spans, since the main river channel is under the movable span)

Riverside Delanco Bridge (photos not by me): Swing span with pony trusses

Ben Franklin Bridge (photos not by me): Suspension with a pony truss, 7 lanes of US30 and/or I-676 (depends on who you ask)
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

bugo

The point of the thread was to list bridges that are primarily pony truss bridges, not bridges of another type with pony approaches or other elements.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.