News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Non Modern Bridges and Flyovers

Started by roadman65, September 16, 2012, 10:45:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I was noticing that in many places now, different bridge architecture is being used instead of the traditional ones.  Look at the new I-410 and US 281 interchange and the other nearby bridges on I-410 that were replaced during that interchange construction project.  I has parapets on them with oval shaped openings similar to that in 1930 era New Jersey along with nice brick facade on the piers and overhead sign supports. 

Speaking, too, of the Garden State, New Jersey has been constructing these types of bridges as well in recent projects.  Then New York has a fancy overpass near Troy where the NY7 & NY 2 cross over I-87. 

It looks like modern now is getting old and its time for a change.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

NJ practices context sensitive design. If the community requests a bridge look similar, or if the state thinks it's in the community's interest (such as in Camden, who would never ask for something like that but who could use some beautification), they will take some relatively low-budget steps to improve the appearance. False parapets resembling the older bridges seems to be a popular item. I would love to see a return to concrete arch or iron truss* designs, if they could possibly be viable.

*Yes, they still do make trusses. I'm talking about the slender types, with very thin members. The Pond Eddy NY-PA bridge is an example. Modern trusses all use I-beams for their members, which is ugly.

national highway 1

Here's a rather fascinating bridge in Au Tau, Hong Kong:
http://goo.gl/maps/nBEb8
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

SteveG1988

Mount Holly NJ is currently replacing an older bridge, no date but it has 1930s NJ railings and a steel curb top, half of it is already gone, one lane while they replace the other half (concrete arch). WE might get lucky and have it blend into the older style bridges also in town
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

vtk

In Ohio the added aesthetic touches are usually limited to designs on the concrete piers.  I would love a return to parapets that aren't just solid jersey barriers. 
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

andy

The US421 bridge over the Ohio river at Madison Indiana is being replaced with a truss bridge to maintain the historic image of the 1930's bridge being replaced.

This bridge has a couple of other threads on this site;
Bridges: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=9984.0
Ohio Valley: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=3891.0

Pre-construction rendering;

Last month before the removal of the last two spans of the old bridge;

Duke87

Quote from: Steve on September 16, 2012, 10:07:54 PM
Yes, they still do make trusses. I'm talking about the slender types, with very thin members. The Pond Eddy NY-PA bridge is an example. Modern trusses all use I-beams for their members, which is ugly.

Ugly, but a lot less expensive. Constructed members hearken back to a day when labor was cheap and paying ironworkers to weld and rivet angles and plates together to make a member was easier than fabricating an odd shape in one piece. Today it's the other way around.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.