News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Favorite Musicians/Artists

Started by achilles765, October 21, 2012, 04:40:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

achilles765

The song covers topic made me curious: what are everyone's favorite singers/bands?

For me it's Bob Dylan for solo artist and my favorite band ever that I could listen to everyday for the rest of my life is Led Zeppelin.
I love freeways and roads in any state but Texas will always be first in my heart

NE2

Escher is pretty cool.

(and wtf - there's a band called Escher - I mean the artist)
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Takumi

Bands: The Hives, Smashing Pumpkins, INXS, The Raveonettes, The White Stripes, Weezer, Franz Ferdinand, The Strokes, Van Halen, The Cars.
Non-bands (mostly electronic): London Elektricity, S.P.Y, Loadstar, Cyantific, Spor/Feed Me (same guy), Wolfgang Gartner, Logistics, High Contrast, Sub Focus, Noisia, Scott Brown, Blokhe4d.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Ian

Going down my iPod playlist (the ones in bold are my favorites): Adele, Alanis Morrisette, Alex Clare, Alice in Chains, Alien Ant Farm, AWOLNATION, Avenged Sevenfold, The B-52's, Beastie Boys, Bee Gees, The Black Crowes, The Black Keys, Bob Marley, Bobby McFerrin, Boston, Bruno Mars, Cage the Elephant, Cake, Cee Lo Green, Chevelle, Civil Twilight, Company of Thieves, Crosby, Stills & Nash, Dave Matthews Band, Death Cab for Cutie, Dirty Heads, Dishwalla, Disturbed, Duck Sauce, Eddy Grant, Ellie Goulding, Everlast, Fleetwood Mac, Florence + The Machine, Flo Rida, Foo Fighters, Foster the People, Frank Sinatra, Gnarls Barkley, Godsmack, Goldfish, Goo Goo Dolls, Gorillaz, Incubus, Jack White, Jethro Tull, Jimi Hendrix, Kid Cudi, The Killers, Kings of Leon, Korn, Lady Gaga, La Roux, Led Zeppelin, Linkin Park, Local H, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Marilyn Manson, Maroon 5, Metallica, MGMT, Michael Bublé, Michael Jackson, Modest Mouse, Morning Parade, Muse, Nero, Neon Trees, The New Cities, Nine Inch Nails, Nirvana, The Notorious B.I.G., Of Monsters and Men, Ok Go, Paramore, Passion Pit, Pearl Jam, Peter Gabriel, Phoenix, Pink Floyd, The Postal Service, PSY, Puddle of Mudd, Queen, Queens of the Stone Age, Radiohead, Rage Against The Machine, Ratatat, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Redlight King, R.E.M., The Reconteurs, The Rolling Stones, Rush, Seven Mary Three, Shinedown, Silverchair, Silversun Pickups, Skillet, Skrillex, Smashing Pumpkins, The Smiths, Soundgarden, Staind, Stevie Wonder, Stone Temple Pilots, The Strokes, Sublime, Switchfoot, System of a Down, Tegan and Sara, Them Crooked Vultures, Three Days Grace, Toadies, Tom Petty, Tool, Train, Two Door Cinema Club, Van Halen, Weezer, The White Stripes, The Who, 30 Seconds to Mars, and 311.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Special K

TheHighwayMan3561

Yes and The Beatles are pretty much tied for me, though I give a slight nod to Yes.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

kphoger

Best concert experience, by far:  Tommy Emmanuel.  I saw him once at a Chicago bar, and once at a theater in Hutchinson, KS.  'Initiation' will blow your mind.

Great artists to listen to on headphones:  Delerium, Chasing Furies, Silversun Pickups

Driving music:  R.E.M., Garth Brooks, John Mayer

Weird stuff:  Frank Zappa, Huun-Huur-Tu
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

allniter89

Carlos Santana, Led Zepplin, Beatles, Rolling Stones, Golden Earing, Pink Floyd, Stevie Ray Vaughn and (wait 4 it) Patsy Cline.
Best concert experience ever: Woodstock 69.
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

NYYPhil777

My #1 favorite band is Pink Floyd (only the original British and I listen from albums- not a concert person).
Others I like (just a few):
AC/DC, Metallica, Nirvana, R.E.M., Rascal Flatts, Styx, Rush, Weird Al Yankovic, ZZ Top, Journey, Foreigner, and even Nickelback (please don't hate me for that  :-o).
I'm into rock, rock n' roll, metal, country, and even rap.
I think there's already a thread for this.
(from Blazing Saddles)
Jim: Where you headed, cowboy?
Bart: Nowhere special.
Jim: Nowhere special? I always wanted to go there.
Bart: Come on.

-NYYPhil777

Rushmeister

Rush

And a few others I like...   Rush, Yes, The Fixx, Level 42, Scorpions, Firehouse, and Rush.
...and then the psychiatrist chuckled.

roadman65

Eric Clapton ( and the groups he was
once part of)
Beatles
Eagles
Chicago (both eras)
Allman Brothers
Supertramp
Phil Collins
Genisis
Bangles
Go Gos
Belinda Carlisle (Solo)
Joe Walsh
Van Halen (both Van Hagar and Van Roth)
Led Zeppelin
The Who
Elton John

Stevie Ray Vaughn
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Special K

[quote author=Rushmeister link=topic=7918.msg180735#msg180735 date=1350924023]
Rush

And a few others I like...   Rush, Yes, The Fixx, Level 42, Scorpions, Firehouse, and Rush.
[/quote]

No kidding?

Alps

most of what most of you have said, plus others. it seems we all like rock.

roadman

Quote from: achilles765 on October 21, 2012, 04:40:16 AM
The song covers topic made me curious: what are everyone's favorite singers/bands?

Carole King is my favorite solo artist, with Tom Rush and Gordon Lightfoot a close second and third.

For bands, I'd say it's a tie between America, the Eagles, and Simon and Garfunkel.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

bugo

Here are some of my favorite musicians: Billy Corgan, Rob Dickinson, Trent Reznor, Maynard James Keenan, Bruce Dickinson, BT, Steven Wilson, Eddie Vedder, Rob Halford, Tori Amos, Tricky.  There are literally hundreds more but these are some of my very favorites.

Road Hog

Quote from: Special K on October 22, 2012, 03:10:55 PM
[quote author=Rushmeister link=topic=7918.msg180735#msg180735 date=1350924023]
Rush

No kidding?
[/quote]

I'll throw in Rush, Rush, and let me think, Rush. :)

I like everything from Rush from "Moving Pictures" on back. Haven't had much luck connecting with chicks on them, though. So I go with Arcade Fire, Art vs. Science, Florence + The Machine and whatever cool new band appears in the next few months.

bugo

I would like Rush but I can't stand Geddy Lee's voice.  They have an instrumental song that I kind of like though.

Takumi

Quote from: Road Hog on October 22, 2012, 09:10:56 PM
I like everything from Rush from "Moving Pictures" on back. Haven't had much luck connecting with chicks on them, though. So I go with Arcade Fire, Art vs. Science, Florence + The Machine and whatever cool new band appears in the next few months.
Imagine Dragons ;) I've not heard much Art vs. Science, just a drumstep remix of "Magic Fountain". I think the only Arcade Fire album I've heard is The Suburbs, and it was pretty good. The Killers' most recent album was disappointing, but I've liked what I've heard so far of The Gaslight Anthem's new one. I was expecting a pop-punk album, given the catchy first single "45", but it's turned out to be mostly alternative. I also really enjoyed the most recent Raveonettes release, but I know they're not for everyone. It was great listening to an album that actually gets faster as it goes on (what a novel concept!), and as I mentioned at the outset of this post, Imagine Dragons have a pretty good debut out.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Brian556

Favorite Songs:
"Jessie's Girl" Rick Springfield
"Don't Go Out" Tanya Tucker / T. Graham Brown

Favorite Artists:
Eagles, Phil Collins, Foreigner, Air Supply, Ect.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Guitarist:
C.C. Adcock

Sean Carney

Drumer:
Billy Cobham

Piano:
Eden Brent

Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Sanctimoniously

This man can play every instrument known to man.
Quote from: Scott5114 on December 22, 2013, 06:27:29 AM
[tt]wow                 very cringe
        such clearview          must photo
much clinch      so misalign         wow[/tt]

See it. Live it. Love it. Verdana.

US71

I've always liked this guy

and these people:
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

1995hoo

Bruce Springsteen
The Gaslight Anthem
Mott the Hoople
The Beatles
The Who
Stones
The Corrs
The Jam
The Kinks
U2, although I haven't listened to their latest stuff very much

I have one album by Pink (Funhouse) and it's very good, but I haven't heard most of her other stuff. I might pick up some more of it. She strikes me as someone whose talent is probably obscured by her flamboyant tendencies and her often-creepy appearance (I find all the piercings and such to be strange and I don't understand why people are into doing that to themselves).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hm insulators

Heavy metal (that's what the "hm" in my handle stands for); far too many bands to list here.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

cpzilliacus

No particular order:

The Who, Pete Townsend, The Cars, The Rippingtons, Foo Fighters, R.E.M., ABBA, Prince, Jeff Lorber, the Cardigans, Roxette, Darude, The Mamas & the Papas, the Association, the Beatles, Elvis Presley, The Temptations, U2, Yes, Lee Ritenour, Wynton Marsalis, the Police, Sting, Billy Idol, Dire Straits, Steely Dan, Fourplay, Johnny Cash (I am not much of a fan of Country & Western, but how can you not like his voice and his music?), Frank Sinatra (his voice made him as immortal as Johnny Cash), Wes Montgomery, Journey, Larry Carlton, Pat Metheny, Dave Koz, Joyce Cooling, Anita Baker, A-Ha, Loverboy, Suzanne Vega, Joe Sample, the Jackson 5 (when Michael was normal-looking and normal-sounding).

I could add more, but this will have to do for now.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.