News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Give the Northwest Angle Back

Started by ghYHZ, January 04, 2019, 05:42:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

index

I feel that it would cost a lot less, cause a lot less stress and complications, and be far less of a use of resources to just build a bridge or implement a ferry. A territory handover from the US to Canada would probably go through miles and miles of red tape, somehow cost a lot, be subject to tons of debate and standstill, significantly affect people's lives, etc etc etc... Although it's worth noting it may be too deep for a bridge.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

abefroman329

Quote from: index on January 11, 2019, 12:36:27 PMA territory handover from the US to Canada would probably go through miles and miles of red tape, somehow cost a lot, be subject to tons of debate and standstill, significantly affect people's lives, etc etc etc
Yeah, they made a movie about a territory handover from Canada to the US called Super Troopers 2, and it sucked.

adventurernumber1

Quote from: index on January 11, 2019, 12:36:27 PM
I feel that it would cost a lot less, cause a lot less stress and complications, and be far less of a use of resources to just build a bridge or implement a ferry. A territory handover from the US to Canada would probably go through miles and miles of red tape, somehow cost a lot, be subject to tons of debate and standstill, significantly affect people's lives, etc etc etc... Although it's worth noting it may be too deep for a bridge.

That's true. Perhaps a ferry could be in order, if a bridge is not feasible.

I do agree with sparker that granting its citizens dual citizenship could be a good idea, and might make their lives much easier.

I always did think this was one of the weirder sections of border in the United States. Hopefully the aforementioned things could happen in order to make things less complicated.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

triplemultiplex

Bridge...  :-D :-D

It's 12 miles of open water at its closest; one mile for every person that lives in the NW Angle. :-D

It'd be cheaper to buy every permanent resident of the NW Angle a bitchin' lake house somewhere else on the lake.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

ixnay

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 05, 2019, 11:08:07 AM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on January 05, 2019, 12:27:18 AM
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on January 04, 2019, 12:04:44 PM
Exactly that explains why when I see "East of the Mississippi" and "West of the Mississippi" I wonder what is "East of the Mississippi" and what "West of the Mississippi" in Northern Minnesota (roughly from Bemidji to the Canadian border). I've solved that by tracing a line from Bemidji Lake to the Lower Red Lake, and then straight Northwards to where the USA/Canada border hits the 49th parallel after going South on the Lake of the Woods. As I once mentioned on the Geographical oddities that defy conventional wisdom thread, it is possible to go from East of the Mississippi to West of the Mississippi or vice-versa by land without crossing the Mississippi river at all, by traveling on MN 11.

You're taking the definition far too literally. "East/West of the Mississippi" has little meaning within the state; no one refers to Minneapolis or St. Cloud as "West" or St. Paul/Duluth as "East".

In a similar vein, there are places in the New Orleans area where the "Westbank" is actually located east of the "east" side of the Mississippi (across from the French Quarter is the most notable spot).

Minneapolis and St. Paul each occupy land on both sides of the Mississippi, although you wouldn't know it looking at the Twins' "Win! Twins!" logo.

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

froggie

QuoteThat's true. Perhaps a ferry could be in order, if a bridge is not feasible.

A ferry would not be feasible.  Not only would it have extremely light traffic and be expensive to run, but there are some months out of the year where the ferry couldn't run and the NWA would be cut off...namely in the fall when the lake ices over but the ice isn't thick enough for vehicles and conversely in the spring when the ice is melting.

Since 3MX went there, I'm not even touching the bridge idea...😌

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.