News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Interstate 22

Started by Snappyjack, January 26, 2009, 11:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grzrd

Another step towards I-22 in Mississippi: http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2010/nov/06/funding-to-help-us-78-upgrade/:

Mississippi will get nearly $1 million in federal transportation funds to help upgrade U.S. 78 to interstate highway standards in anticipation of the future Interstate 22 along the route.
A total of $943,218 was allocated to the Mississippi Department of Transportation for improvements along a 33.3-mile section of U.S. 78, from the Coldwater River Bridge in DeSoto County southeast through Marshall County to the Benton County line.
The work will include paving improvements, lengthening exit and entrance ramps, replacing the bridge bearing pad and other work ...
[Memphis Commercial Appeal, 11/6/10]

Quote from: codyg1985 on September 21, 2010, 03:42:25 PM
I drove through the area where the I-65/I-22 interchange is supposed to be constructed. I thought construction was supposed to begin now, but nothing has happened at the site. Any word as to what's causing the delays?

Any visible signs of construction on I-22/I-65 interchange since Sept. 21-22 posts that began with above post?

jemacedo9

...just realized that it's interesting that I-22 and US 78 are linked, just as I-78 and US 22 (PA and NJ) are linked...maybe a new topic/thread?

Grzrd

Quote from: jemacedo9 on November 06, 2010, 04:33:39 PM
...just realized that it's interesting that I-22 and US 78 are linked, just as I-78 and US 22 (PA and NJ) are linked...maybe a new topic/thread?
It would be interesting to see how many "pairs" exist.  Why don't you re-post topic on "General Highway Talk"?

english si

and they add up to 100!

codyg1985

Quote from: Grzrd on November 06, 2010, 04:12:24 PM
Any visible signs of construction on I-22/I-65 interchange since Sept. 21-22 posts that began with above post?

I haven't been down to see it, but according to this news article, construction is now underway. Maybe jdb1234 can shed some light on it since he's in the Birmingham area.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

sglaughlin

It is, went by the construction site today.  Blasting is going on, and you can see the (future) I-22 from I-65.

Grzrd

Received email from TDOT re their study of Lamar Avenue and relationship to recent federal grant.  Pertinent part as follows:

TDOT is on the agenda for the Nov. 18 meeting of the Memphis MPO to discuss its findings on the Lamar Avenue study.  We agreed to provide Cambridge additional time for the study in order to incorporate a detailed benefit/cost analysis of various alternatives.  This additional work was requested by stakeholders with the idea of streamlining the process of launching the "next step," i.e. an environmental document.
In fact, it is my understanding that the grant proposal that the Memphis region submitted to USDOT and HUD included funding for an environmental document for Lamar Avenue improvements.  An environmental document will certainly build on the technical work done in the TDOT-sponsored study.  Obviously there would need to be additional public involvement to satisfy federal NEPA requirements, and that outreach could generate the need to evaluate additional factors.
However, the information I have received from the Memphis MPO was that the awarded funds are only from HUD, not USDOT.  I have therefore asked the MPO to obtain clarification about whether the funds can still be used for the Lamar Avenue portion of the proposal.  I have not heard an answer at this point in time.
Yes, the final TDOT report will be available for public review and distribution.  We will not finalize the report until after the MPO board meeting next week, since there will likely be discussion and perhaps additional questions raised.
I appreciate your interest and would be glad to receive any questions or comments you would like to share.

Release from Memphis Mayor Wharton provides some context to above email: http://mayoracwharton.wordpress.com/2010/10/29/memphis-america%E2%80%99s-aerotropolis-and-airport-city-receives-1-2-million/

The City of Memphis Aerotropolis /Lamar Corridor Initiative is budgeted at $2.273 million.  This $1.2 million grant will be used to fund the overall work program.  This includes:  (1) a business development professional will be hired to recruit businesses to the corridor; (2) a Real Estate Market Analysis will be performed and become a part of the overall Aerotropolis/Airport City Masterplan; (3) An Environmental Engineering Study (NEPA) phase of the project will be performed — this is the next step in continuing improvements for Lamar/I-22.  The overall budget for the project is $2.273 million, of which this $1.2 million would go towards; (4) a Commercial and Industrial Corridor/Urban Triage incentive fund designed to leverage private investment in the study area.

Grzrd

Not surprisingly, study found that interstate alternative reduced travel time the most, but that six-lane and eight-lane upgrades to Lamar Avenue would be more cost-effective.  Maybe TDOT will put actual study report (incorporating MPO & TDOT comments) on-line in near future.
Interesting sidenote:  an assumption of the study was that I-269 would be completed by 2030.

Relevant minutes to Lamar Corridor study:

7) Lamar Avenue Corridor Study
Mr. Bob Rock, TDOT and Mr. Dike Ahanotu, Cambridge Systematics gave a presentation on the Lamar Avenue Corridor Study
In July 2009, the Memphis MPO requested TDOT's Long Range Planning Division to conduct a study on the Lamar Corridor identifying the challenges and potential solutions for the corridor The corridor study looked at the area between I-240 and TN/MS state line and areas next to the Airport and the Burlington Northern / Sante Fe Yard University of Memphis did a level of service analysis on Lamar Corridor which measured the traffic flow. Truck following data was also looked at, to find if the trucks remained in the study area or not In December, 2009 the draft report of the current conditions was completed and presentation given to MPO Staff and Aerotropolis Committee In May, 2010 the study was expanded to look at 9 alternatives and compute projected cost Alternatives were looked at in 3 different categories:
o Adding capacity to Lamar Ave, making it 6 lanes, or 8 lanes for the entire stretch along the corridor.
o Also looked at creating an entire corridor to an Interstate level
o Looked at expanding neighboring corridors such as Stateline Road, Holmes Road and Shelby Drive. Operational solutions, such as improving intersections and coordinating signalization, were also looked at TDOT along with Cambridge Systematics has prepared a draft report for the study and both TDOT and the MPO have reviewed the document and made comments The study found that the Interstate highway alternative reduced travel time better than the six and eight lane alternatives. While the six lanes and eight lane alternatives did not reduce travel as much as the Interstate alternative, the six and eight lane alternatives were more cost effective than the Interstate alternative. The study also found that improvements to State Line Road, Holmes Road, and Shelby Drive did not reduce travel time. This was due to the assumption that I-269 would be built by the year 2030. TDOT also wanted input on potential development along the Lamar Corridor. The next step of this study is to get public input and to coordinate with other planning studies with the proposed development in the Lamar Corridor study area.
http://memphismpo.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=89&Itemid=77
(click on Nov. 18 TPB minutes on bottom right-hand corner of page; Lamar Corridor on page 3/4 of pdf)

I wonder if TDOT's desire to have input re potential development in the area is at least partially an effort to counter the cost-effectiveness conclusion of the study and keep alive the notion of an I-22 connection to I-240?

froggie

Doubtful.  TDOT has to realize that trying to extend I-22 up Lamar will be a right-of-way nightmare, especially the closer one gets to I-240.

jwolfer

will US 78 be moved back on to surface roads, be multiplexed or decomissioned

agentsteel53

returning it to surface streets would make the most sense, like US-40 was done in Ohio.  A sequence of discontinuous MS-178 alignments is not particularly helpful for navigational purposes.

really anything is fine by me so long as those two old TENN-US 78 shields survive...
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

codyg1985

I would expect US 78 to return to it's former alignment in Alabama once I-22 is ocmpleted. Not sure how MS will handle it, though.
Cody Goodman

froggie

Given AASHTO policy, I doubt US 78 will return to its original alignment.  It will likely be multiplexed.

triplemultiplex

With it's western terminus in Memphis, I don't see a particular problem with simply decommissioning US 78 west of Birmingham.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Grzrd

Newspaper article indicates recent bad weather has not slowed down the project.  Article also indicates that ALDOT still plans to let I-22/US 31 interchange project this year, with both projects scheduled to be completed in 2014 (article has one photo of construction work near Daniel Payne Drive):

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2011/01/i-22_project_on_course_weather.html

Henry

Quote from: froggie on December 11, 2010, 08:24:34 AM
Doubtful.  TDOT has to realize that trying to extend I-22 up Lamar will be a right-of-way nightmare, especially the closer one gets to I-240.

There's always the option of routing it west onto I-269.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

froggie

There is, but just as possible is simply ending it at I-269.....there's precedent for such.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on August 27, 2010, 11:13:48 AM
"The feds have the final call on the limits of I-22.  MDOT currently anticipates the western termini of I-22 to be the new I-269 route unless Tennessee upgrades their section of US 78" [quoting a MDOT email].
This may have been addressed elsewhere, but, assuming I-22 terminates at I-269, will this create an exit renumbering nightmare for MDOT?

Quote from: froggie on August 28, 2010, 05:10:03 AM
It will.  When MDOT added exit numbers to US 78 about 10 years ago, they were numbered starting at the TN line.

Quote from: Grzrd on December 10, 2010, 09:46:20 PM
The study found that the Interstate highway alternative [for Lamar Corridor in Memphis] reduced travel time better than the six and eight lane alternatives. While the six lanes and eight lane alternatives did not reduce travel as much as the Interstate alternative, the six and eight lane alternatives were more cost effective than the Interstate alternative.

Quote from: Henry on February 11, 2011, 11:03:27 AM
Quote from: froggie on December 11, 2010, 08:24:34 AM
TDOT has to realize that trying to extend I-22 up Lamar will be a right-of-way nightmare, especially the closer one gets to I-240.
There's always the option of routing it west onto I-269.

Quote from: froggie on February 11, 2011, 12:41:09 PM
There is, but just as possible is simply ending it at I-269.....there's precedent for such.

Assuming Memphis MPO & TDOT will eliminate the Interstate alternative for Lamar Corridor, I wonder if MDOT would reconsider its current position and look to the precedent of I-26 extending north (west in terms of I-26's directions) of I-81 near Kingsport, TN to end a couple of miles south of VA state line.  In I-22's case, the terminus could be at MS/TN state line and maintain integrity of current exit numbers.  Would avoid hassle of changing exit numbers, but would make things messy for roadgeeks.

It's also interesting to note that, even if Interstate alternative is chosen for Lamar Corridor, then the I-240 intersection would still present the problem of a 2di ending at a 3di; would TDOT continue I-22 westward on I-240 to I-55?

Also, in Birmingham, will section of roadway from I-65 eastward to US 31 be signed as I-22 (creating a tiny I-26-like spur) or simply be considered as long entrance/exit ramps for I-22?

rickmastfan67

Why don't they just reroute it up I-269 to TN-385 and use that highway to connect it to I-240?  Or is the future I-269/TN-385 going to just a partial interchange?

Grzrd

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on February 11, 2011, 07:51:44 PM
Why don't they just reroute it up I-269 to TN-385 and use that highway to connect it to I-240?  Or is the future I-269/TN-385 going to just a partial interchange?

Below discussion indicates I-269 to I-55 would be shorter:

Quote from: TheStranger on August 20, 2010, 04:47:10 PM
Has there been some thought to making I-22 connect with the existing diagonal segment of Route 385 (the segment parallel to US 72 as opposed to the segment that comprises future I-269)?

Quote from: TheStranger on August 20, 2010, 05:56:16 PM
Quote from: froggie on August 20, 2010, 05:34:24 PM
There is that possibility, yes, though following I-269 west, believe it or not, would be a more direct route.
I was thinking more specifically to connect with I-240 (which 269 doesn't) and enter Memphis from that trajectory, though if it is quicker to get to Memphis simply via 269 and 69/55...

Sykotyk

I think routing it over the I-269 to I-55/I-69 would be best. You can still have the incompatible exit #s in use by simply using the exit numbering for 269 (which would work best if it is signed clockwise). After all, there is precedent in Memphis using the old loop exit numbers for I-40 even though they really don't line up with reality.

Sykotyk

Grzrd

The final 0.35 mile section of Alabama's section of I-22, from east of I-65 eastward to US 31, is currently scheduled to be let on June 24 (page 27/53 of the pdf):

http://alletting.dot.state.al.us/FutureLetting/FutureLettings.pdf

APD-0471(523)
JEFFERSON CN C P 06/24/2011 0.35
(GPB) GRADE, DRAIN, BASE, PAVE & BRG
SR-4 (CORRIDOR X) FROM EAST OF I-65 TO SR-3(US-31)

Any interesting recent developments on I-22/I-65 interchange construction?

codyg1985

I will be driving through the I-22/I-65 interchange on April 1st on my way to New Orleans.
Cody Goodman

lamsalfl

People, I-22 ending at I-269/55 junction is not unprecedented, and not that big of a deal.  Just 5-6 hours to the south you have two examples where an interstate terminates 20-30 miles from the center of the target city... I-55 and I-59.  Those two routes are obviously for New Orleans. 

Tourian

Quote from: codyg1985 on March 27, 2011, 03:54:07 PM
I will be driving through the I-22/I-65 interchange on April 1st on my way to New Orleans.

My wife and I drove by it Sunday. I can't tell if anything major has been done but the equipment is definitely there and you can easily see where the current road ends. Fultondale could easily see a lot of good development right around that area, should be exciting. I hope it really won't take two more years.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.