News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-35 mileage begins at the border

Started by NE2, August 25, 2012, 02:06:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE2

Google Street View shows milepost 1 on the southbound side at Callaghan Street (just after exit 1A). But it's only 1/2 mile to the end of I-35, while continuing straight to the bridge gives almost exactly a mile.

More interestingly, TXDOT's mileage figures for I-35 and I-35E in their Highway Designation File, compared with the location of milepost 504 (1/2 mile south of Oklahoma), appear to show that the bridge approach one-way pair is officially I-35.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

vdeane

It does look like I-35 was intended to go there.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

roadman65

The park in the middle of the one way pair, might of been intended for the freeway to go to the border.  Maybe, TxDOT is waiting for Mexico to continue its toll road freeway to the Rio Grande?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

Quote from: roadman65 on August 25, 2012, 03:56:33 PM
Maybe, TxDOT is waiting for Mexico to continue its toll road freeway to the Rio Grande?

If they were years ago, they're not anymore.  The Mexican plan for a freeway to the border in recent years was to connect at the Colombia bridge, 20 miles or so upriver from Laredo.  However, it instead connects to Bridge III, which is for commercial vehicles only.  The road was built as a type A2 highway, and is currently being widened to a freeway (I assume it's entire length, though only about a third of it is complete).

More to the topic, is there any END 35 signage as one heads south?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

austrini

IIRC, there are just end freeway signs.
AICP (2012), GISP (2020) | Formerly TX, now UK

agentsteel53

Quote from: kphoger on August 26, 2012, 08:24:24 AM
type A2 highway

is that the correct term for a road which is striped as two-lanes-with-shoulders but allows for three-wide in passing situations?

does such a road have to have dashed shoulder lines?  I've seen the occasional three-wide passing on a road with solid shoulder lines, but it is much more common when the shoulder line is dashed.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

texaskdog

they gotta wait for Spain to agree to build it

kphoger

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 27, 2012, 03:41:20 PM
Quote from: kphoger on August 26, 2012, 08:24:24 AM
type A2 highway

is that the correct term for a road which is striped as two-lanes-with-shoulders but allows for three-wide in passing situations?

does such a road have to have dashed shoulder lines?  I've seen the occasional three-wide passing on a road with solid shoulder lines, but it is much more common when the shoulder line is dashed.

I believe the A2 designation refers to the roadway design, regardless of striping.  I have specifically in mind the new Libramiento Norponiente de Saltillo (Saltillo northwestern bypass), which not only has solid shoulder lines but also rumble strips adjacent to the lines.  Leading up to its construction and opening, this highway was consistently referred to as a type A2 highway in news articles, SkyscraperCity forums, etc.  I've never read of any distinction in terminology between the two.

Other highways come to mind also, especially farther south–specifically Coatzacalcos—Tuxtla Gutiérrez and Tehuacán—Oaxaca–but both of these use a mix of dashed and solid shoulder lines.  Ideally, using the shoulder to pass is expected with dashed lines but not solid lines; however, this is neither consistently applied during construction nor consistently adhered to while driving.

Quote from: texaskdog on August 27, 2012, 05:26:56 PM
they gotta wait for Spain to agree to build it

GRIN  :)
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

lordsutch

If I had to guess, IH 35's mileage extends to the Lincoln-Juarez bridge because co-signed US 81 started there, so IH 35 inherited the mileage even after US 81 was decommissioned.  The big space in the middle exists because IH 35 runs through the middle of the street grid.

Incidentally the last mile or so of IH 35 south of Park Street actually was built well after the rest of the interstate (1980s I think).  There may have been pie-in-the-sky plans to extend it further south, but as a practical matter until Bridge IV/III (depending on who's counting) was built in the last decade the real bottleneck was Mexican customs southbound, not the Matamoros/Houston one-way pair, and even today except during Paisano season I've never seen traffic backed up more than 8-10 cars deep at the end of the freeway (and that's due to slamming straight into the Victoria Street light at the end).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.