News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Billy Bollard and the Pithy Phrase

Started by TheOneKEA, October 18, 2015, 11:44:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheOneKEA

As long as I can remember, the state of MD has always included a memorable, pithy phrase on the signage advertising a road construction project. The phrase is always accompanied by an anthropomorphized bollard with a hard hat perched on its head. I've never seen this type of advertising anywhere else, so I'm curious to know if this is unique to MD.

Mr_Northside

You mean like "Taking a stride to better your ride!"?
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

1995hoo

"We're improving to keep you moving" is another.

The signs for the Maryland House used to include the phrase "Stay Awake, Take a Break." I don't know whether that's still there with the reconstruction since I haven't been that way in a few years.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

briantroutman

I don't know of any other cartoon mascots for state DOTs construction projects, but other states do use a rhyming mnemonic or some other cutesy approach to attract attention to the issue of construction zone safety.

As far back as I can remember, PennDOT was using "Give "˜Em a Brake" , although I've seen other states use that phrase too–does anyone know where it originated? I could have sworn I saw signs where the word "brake"  had been replaced with a double-width brake pedal like you might see in an old Chevy Caprice.

I believe PennDOT was responsible for that god-awful "Slow down my daddy works here"  business.

California uses "Slow for the Cone Zone" , and I recall seeing "Orange Cones–No Phones"  in Virginia.

SteveG1988

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

ixnay

Mr. Bollard's message as you enter the stretch of improvement projects on U.S. 301 in Queen Anne's Co. is "Delay today for a safer tomorrow".

Those projects are:  J-turn construction at 301 and MD 305 *and* interchange construction to replace the J-turn at 301 and MD 304.  I imagine improvements at the Maryland & Delaware RR grade crossing near Tidewater Direct (between 304 and 305) will be done as part of this eventually.

ixnay

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.