News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Interstate 22

Started by Snappyjack, January 26, 2009, 11:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rover_0

Quote from: drummer_evans_aki on January 03, 2013, 04:46:06 PM
Is there any official word as to where the official Western Terminus of I-22 will be?

And while we're at it, when can we expect US-78 to be entirely upgraded?
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

agentsteel53

Quote from: drummer_evans_aki on January 03, 2013, 04:46:06 PM
Is there any official word as to where the official Western Terminus of I-22 will be?

"somewhere in Memphis", just like every other federal route that ends there.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

drummer_evans_aki

Quote from: agentsteel53 link=topic=724.msg194555#msg194555

"somewhere in Memphis", just like every other federal route that ends there.

Yeah. But what's interesting is that they have proposals and really, not one winds up in Memphis.

!-55 near Hernando, MS. I-269 near Red Banks, MS. I'm interested in seeing if they'll send it up to I-240 and have it travel west to I-55/I-69.

Fixed the quote tag. - Alex
Could you imagine getting directions from a guy with tourettes?

kphoger

Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 03, 2013, 06:19:32 PM
federal route

Wow.  No one has posted an emoticon for hitting you over the head yet.  I'm impressed!
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Alps

Quote from: kphoger on January 05, 2013, 12:53:42 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 03, 2013, 06:19:32 PM
federal route

Wow.  No one has posted an emoticon for hitting you over the head yet.  I'm impressed!
Krlrgrz is old hat. That's mtr shenanigans. Who cares when we have Alan?

hbelkins

Is Alan even still around? He may be gone, but his Land lives on.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

AUTiger7222

Anyone got new and updated pics! I don't get to Birmingham very much so I haven't seen it in a while.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on December 20, 2012, 01:01:56 PM
Mississippi DOT ("MDOT") has posted District One Updates, which includes one US 78/ Future I-22 project:
U.S. Highway 78 Upgrade in Union County
A project to upgrade a section of U.S. Highway 78 to current interstate standards, from just west of State Route 30 to just east of State Route 15 in New Albany, is currently under construction ... This project began in March 2012 and is expected to be complete in November 2013.  The project is approximately 35% complete.

This press release indicates that the interstate upgrade is both needed and well-timed because recent wet/freezing weather has been creating dangerous potholes:

Due to necessary maintenance repairs in the travel lane, motorists should expect intermittent stops in traffic along U.S. Highway 78 between State Route 30 and State Route 15 in New Albany, MS.  The recent wet and freezing wintry weather has begun deteriorating roadway along U.S. Highway 78 by seeping into fissures and breaking up the pavement.  This has resulted in the formation of dangerous potholes along the roadway.

kphoger

Are freeways and/or Interstates less likely to experience potting than those with stoplights and/or blue and red highway shields?
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Grzrd

^ No. Aging pavement with cracks is more likely to deteriorate than new pavement with (presumably) no cracks. The relevant point is that the roadbed is being upgraded. Louisiana appears to be experiencing similar deterioration.

kphoger

Right, I was just wondering what the interstate upgrade had to do with it.
Male pronouns, please.

Grzrd

kphoger

Would they not have repaved the highway anyway?
Male pronouns, please.

Grzrd

^ As the press release indicates, the potholes are being repaired immediately.  However, the interstate upgrade is a planned, ongoing project. "Interstate" is the correct description of the current upgrade.  I was merely commenting that the ongoing upgrade is fortuitous because of the condition of the current pavement. Take another look:

Quote from: Grzrd on January 16, 2013, 02:54:07 PM
Quote from: Grzrd on December 20, 2012, 01:01:56 PM
Mississippi DOT ("MDOT") has posted District One Updates, which includes one US 78/ Future I-22 project:
U.S. Highway 78 Upgrade in Union County
A project to upgrade a section of U.S. Highway 78 to current interstate standards.
This press release indicates that the interstate upgrade is both needed and well-timed.

I don't see why the use of "interstate" as a descriptive adjective bothers you.

Grzrd

This TV video report, North Mississippi's First Highway Message Signs contains some footage of US 78/Future I-22 near Byhalia, Marshall County, MS.

codyg1985

I can't remember if I-55 in DeSoto County has any message signs. If not, that's interesting that I-22 is getting them first. It makes sense where they are putting the sign, anyway.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Grzrd

MDOT is installing traffic cameras along the US 78/Future I-22 corridor, including in the vicinity of the Future I-269 interchange.  The cameras are expected to be operational by June and motorists will be able to view road conditions on MDOT's website (it is unclear whether road enthusiasts will be able to catch some glimpses of interchange construction  :sombrero:).  The local TV station had a little fun with the topic:

According to the Mississippi Department of Transportation the new cameras are just there to monitor traffic.
"But in this area here, there really ain't that much traffic." ....
Some say the cameras aren't needed this far out in the country, and that they may be there for other reasons.
"I don't know? Spying on people?"
"I can't say they are spying on us, but you wouldn't say nothing but they are spying on us when you got these going up."

In case anyone missed it, a recent post in the Birmingham thread provides a link to a 16-photo gallery of February 19 photos of I-65/I-22 interchange construction.

codyg1985

While doing a search for any updated I-22 info, I came upon this story from the Birmingham News/al.com. It warned of lane closures between Exits 65 and 70 in Walker County and close to Exit 85 in Jefferson County for "soil testing."

I am guessing they are did soil borings in those area, but for what? I speculate that it is to design foundations for dynamic message signs to go up later, judging by the location of the lane closures. We shall see.
Cody Goodman

jdb1234

My parents noted that I-22 is now signed in Marion County when they took a trip a few weeks ago.  A recent news story I read confirms that.

codyg1985

The Journal Record in Marion County suggests that I-22 has been signed. Question is whether it will be signed outside of Marion County
Cody Goodman

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

codyg1985

Not sure. I really want to take a ride down today since I'm off work and check it out, but the rain may spoil any opportunities for pictures.
Cody Goodman

codyg1985

It is indeed signed in Marion County only, for now (this is looking east at the MS/AL State Line):

Cody Goodman

lamsalfl

Is this entirely the only sign in the county, making this a token "sneak preview"?  Are there any westbound?

codyg1985

There are signs westbound as well. Pretty much everywhere there used to be a Future I-22 Corridor sign there is now one of these large shields. I guess there are no signs in Walker or Jefferson Counties yet because those counties are in ALDOT Division 3 while Marion County is in Division 2.

Here is a picture westbound after US 43/278:

Cody Goodman

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.