News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Highway Lighting

Started by BigMattFromTexas, August 09, 2009, 05:48:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMattFromTexas

Which kind of lighting do you like better for interchanges, those tall poles with the circle of lights (i don't know the real name for them), or simple light poles with single lights?
If anyone knows the real name for those high-mast lights could you please say it, Thank You :D
BigMatt

FLRoads

The tall poles with the circle of lights are generally referred to as high-mast lighting.

I prefer to see no lighting at all at most interchanges, other than those within metro areas, then I would go with the simple lighting structures. Some of these "rural" interchanges are lit enough as it is from all the commercial businesses whose signs litter the interchange side...

SSOWorld

Quote from: flaroadgeek on August 09, 2009, 06:08:36 PM
The tall poles with the circle of lights are generally referred to as high-mast lighting.

I prefer to see no lighting at all at most interchanges, other than those within metro areas, then I would go with the simple lighting structures. Some of these "rural" interchanges are lit enough as it is from all the commercial businesses whose signs litter the interchange side...
Wisconsin has such.  Outside of Milwaukee and the Beltline in Madison, WI refuses to put lighting on highways - There are a few exceptions to the rule though:
* A couple interchanges on WIS 29 have exit ramps with lighting
* US 53 in Eau Claire has lighting on the road south of Birch Rd
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Michael

I like the high-mast lighting I've seen in my travels.  Open the Bird's Eye view on this interchange near the NYS Fairgrounds for a good example.  There's about five or six poles spread throughout the interchange.  You have to pan the map to see them all.

EDIT: This is my 200th post!

Tomahawkin

I think that every Rural Interstate should at least either have the center "Jersey Median" lights or be light from the outside shoulders...

Some May think its a silly Idea but It would help motorists be more aware of deer and other wildlife that venture onto interstates and it would create jobs...

Hellfighter

The tall light poles look better, in my opinion. You don't need as many to cover a lot of area.

Scott5114

Quote from: Tomahawkin on August 10, 2009, 02:16:43 PM
Some May think its a silly Idea but It would help motorists be more aware of deer and other wildlife that venture onto interstates and it would create jobs...

As well as cost thousands in electricity bills.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

BigMattFromTexas

Marc

Texas can't get enough of high-mast. Especially Houston. Here, not only to interchanges have high-mast, but every freeway in the metro area is lined with them throughout their journey through town. After awhile, these big structures can get ugly, especially if you see them as much as us Houstonians do. And high-mast structures in Texas are usually around 100-150ft tall with twelve lights. Not the 50-75ft tall ones with four or five lights you see in most states (which I prefer).

I prefer standard/simple lighting that line urban freeways, with high-mast lighting in freeway-to-freeway interchanges. Harris County Toll Road Authority builds the toll roads in this manner.

Here's an example of a typical Houston freeway. Little too much high-mast for me. But that's just my opinion.

Snappyjack

I like how Ohio lights their citiy freeways. Also, the way Florida and Nebraska light the rural exits is good too. Generally, most states do a good job.

New York generally doesn't light exits. There are some exceptions in certain places. All cities have lighting, except for Albany's freeways. This I never understood, as it is the capital of the state. You would think they would have lights. Utica to the west, a much smaller city has lighting on their freeway, including high mast lighting at some exits.

BigMattFromTexas

I like the tall HML but i don't like how Houston did the whole lining the freeway.
BigMatt

Scott5114

In urban Oklahoma lights tend to be placed in the median (atop the Jersey barrier), with one light cantilevered above each carriageway, repeated every 100 feet or so.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

sonysnob

roadfro

Nevada DOT's current policy is to use high mast lighting along freeway mainlines and additional high masts at interchanges, especially on freeways near Las Vegas.  Near airports, other lighting is used instead.  On older freeways, standard street lighting is used (sometimes the two-headed street lights mounted on the center jersey wall).  Older lighting is generally upgraded to high mast as various reconstruction projects occur.

NDOT does not light the rural freeways, except for using 1-2 street lights at on/off ramps at rural interchanges.  Not all interchanges have lighting, but most Interstate exits do.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

BigMattFromTexas

Here in Angelo we only have normal light poles for or interchanges

mightyace

^^^
At least some part of Texas still has some sense!  :sombrero:
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Hellfighter

A couple of interchanges here used standard highway light poles, and then when they were reconstructed, high-mast lighting was installed. Examples include the I-96/M-39 and the I-96/I-94 interchanges.

BigMattFromTexas

Quote^^^
At least some part of Texas still has some sense! :sombrero:
Well kinda. TxDOT does, but the city has no sence at all!
BigMatt

tdindy88

Indiana tends to use the tall masts for lighting at intersections and with the state's flat topography (in most of the state anyways) you can often see the next exit after passing the previous light by seeing those masts. In Indy, the lighting on the interstates are hit and miss and the style varies. The reconstruction of I-465 on the east side saw the installation of smaller, single lights that are pretty decent for the highway and don't overwhelm the enviroment. The reconstruction of 465 on the west side is seeing a similar treatment. But when I-70 east of the city was reconstructed they installed tall masts along the interstate instead. As I said, hit and miss, the rest of the freeway network has only the tall masts at intersections.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.