News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Wisconsin notes

Started by mgk920, May 30, 2012, 02:33:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SEWIGuy

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on February 02, 2015, 05:30:18 PM
Quote from: dave069 on February 02, 2015, 03:12:45 PM
Does anyone else find it surprising that nobody has introduced the speed limit hike bill yet?

It has been mentioned in a devoted thread.

He means that no legislator has introduced it.  It's not surprising to me because most Wisconsinites are apathetic about it.

WarrenWallace

Basically.  I could live with the speed limit  on freeways/expressways outside of urban areas being moved to 70.  But would also love the police to have a heavy crackdown on people going 75 and above. 
I hate sprawl!

SEWIGuy

Quote from: WarrenWallace on February 03, 2015, 03:34:49 PM
Basically.  I could live with the speed limit  on freeways/expressways outside of urban areas being moved to 70.  But would also love the police to have a heavy crackdown on people going 75 and above. 

Which means, you could basically leave it at 65 because rarely do Police pull you over for less than 10 over.

I just have never really understood the motivation that Wisconsin should do it because other states do.  If it is good for Wisconsin, then do it. 

on_wisconsin

Quote from: SEWIGuy on February 03, 2015, 03:43:57 PMWhich means, you could basically leave it at 65 because rarely do Police pull you over for less than 10 over.
This. 100%. The reason why most Wisconsinites are so apathetic about the bill. Speeding enforcement is generally lax as long as your not unsafe or blatant about it.
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: on_wisconsin on February 03, 2015, 03:58:48 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on February 03, 2015, 03:43:57 PMWhich means, you could basically leave it at 65 because rarely do Police pull you over for less than 10 over.
This. 100%. The reason why most Wisconsinites are so apathetic about the bill. Speeding enforcement is generally lax as long as your not unsafe or blatant about it.
also on highways there is also the lax on roads with 55 / 65 as the roads where build for 70 and the OLD 55 law took the speed down.

SSOWorld

oh any speed over the limit is "unsafe" </insert police union here> ;)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

DaBigE

Quote from: SSOWorld on February 04, 2015, 03:58:41 AM
oh any speed over the limit is "unsafe" </insert police union here> ;)
That's why you'll never, ever see a squad car going faster than the posted limit. :)
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

The Ghostbuster

I am a new poster from Madison, WI but have been reading this message board for several years. Personally I don't care if the speed limit is bumped up from 65 to 70. Does it really make much of a difference?

colinstu

If everyone is so apathetic about it I don't see why they don't just pass it and get it over with so this topic doesn't need to come up again.

I'd welcome the speed increase.

jhuntin1

When did the Wisconsin State Patrol get softer on speed enforcement? When I used to drive to from Indiana to Wisconsin or back for college in the mid-90s, I was always warned about I-94 between Milwaukee and the Illinois line because it was heavily patrolled and they pulled you over for going barely over the limit. I remember seeing a lot of officers on that stretch, almost always with someone pulled over.

I drive up that way once or twice a year now and still see a lot of patrol cars, but the traffic seems to be moving at 70 or so. I know I'd support a higher speed limit, especially on I-43 between Milwaukee and Green Bay.

DaBigE

Quote from: jhuntin1 on February 05, 2015, 09:56:33 AM
When did the Wisconsin State Patrol get softer on speed enforcement? When I used to drive to from Indiana to Wisconsin or back for college in the mid-90s, I was always warned about I-94 between Milwaukee and the Illinois line because it was heavily patrolled and they pulled you over for going barely over the limit. I remember seeing a lot of officers on that stretch, almost always with someone pulled over.

They still do heavily enforce that stretch, with the help of the local sheriffs...or at least it seems that way whenever I travel that stretch. But it does seem to matter more which state's plate is on your car.

colinstu

Enforcement is heaviest between IL-WI border on I-94 to the Mitchell Interchange. It's also very heavy between north of Madison all the way up to the Dells (mostly that second half that's closer to the Dells). Gotta catch those fibs I guess!

I wouldn't do more than 5 over on those two stretches. Got caught doing 11 over once (and everyone else was doing 11 or WAY more over).

Sometimes there's some enforcement on 94 between Waukesha and the Zoo, but you need to be doing about 10+ over for them to start getting an itchy ticket finger. Once in awhile I see some enforcement on I-43 between FDL Ave all the way past Mequon Rd.

TheHighwayMan3561

On the opposite end it hasn't been uncommon for me to see four or five turnarounds occupied by state troopers on 94 when I've driven between Minneapolis and Madison in the past, especially after Tomah and the I-90 traffic (which includes a lot more trucks) gets involved.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: SEWIGuy on February 03, 2015, 11:39:54 AM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on February 02, 2015, 05:30:18 PM
Quote from: dave069 on February 02, 2015, 03:12:45 PM
Does anyone else find it surprising that nobody has introduced the speed limit hike bill yet?

It has been mentioned in a devoted thread.

He means that no legislator has introduced it.  It's not surprising to me because most Wisconsinites are apathetic about it.

Oops. I must have read that late at night or something.

Sorry! :(
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

dave069

Quote from: jhuntin1 on February 05, 2015, 09:56:33 AM

I drive up that way once or twice a year now and still see a lot of patrol cars, but the traffic seems to be moving at 70 or so. I know I'd support a higher speed limit, especially on I-43 between Milwaukee and Green Bay.

Yeah, the WSP getting softer on speed enforcement is news to me. Hopefully I won't get a ticket driving through there. I've managed to escape ticketing so far and I do 70 in the 65 zones.

SEWIGuy

I drive thousands of miles on Wisconsin highways a year.  Usually about 7 or 8 over.  I have never been pulled over for speeding much less given a ticket.

JREwing78

10 over is my typical pace on Wisconsin highways, and I never get looked at.

DaBigE

Quote from: SEWIGuy on February 05, 2015, 07:07:46 PM
I drive thousands of miles on Wisconsin highways a year.  Usually about 7 or 8 over.  I have never been pulled over for speeding much less given a ticket.
Quote from: JREwing78 on February 06, 2015, 12:27:55 AM

Do you have Wisconsin plates? If so, that would explain it.

As someone once told me, the State Patrol is Wisconsin's tollbooth for Illinois drivers.

jwags

Quote from: DaBigE on February 06, 2015, 10:36:10 AM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on February 05, 2015, 07:07:46 PM
Quote from: JREwing78 on February 06, 2015, 12:27:55 AM

Do you have Wisconsin plates? If so, that would explain it.

As someone once told me, the State Patrol is Wisconsin's tollbooth for Illinois drivers.

The fact that they are form Illinois may not be the problem but typically drivers from Illinois drive faster than those from WI. During the summer I frequently drive up the 39/90/94 triplex at 8 over (73) and I'd have to say that about 75% of those that pass me have IL plates and almost 100% of the time there are drivers from IL that are traveling at a much faster speed than the other drivers (>85).

midwesternroadguy

also on highways there is also the lax on roads with 55 / 65 as the roads where build for 70 and the OLD 55 law took the speed down.
[/quote]

In the Pre-NMSL days, the Wisconsin speed limits on rural non-freeway roads were 65 mph day/55 night and 45 for trucks over a certain gross tonnage.  The interstate speed limit was 70 mph day/60 mph night.  So the current speed limit provides a faster freeway night time limit than pre-NMSL.  I sort of remember that a few non-interstate freeways may also have posted at 70 mph (US 41 around Appleton), but don't quote me on that.  However, design speeds may have been different than posted speed limits. 

I think that actual traveled speeds are fast enough now, and that the current system should be left as-is. 

midwesternroadguy

[/quote]

The fact that they are form Illinois may not be the problem but typically drivers from Illinois drive faster than those from WI. During the summer I frequently drive up the 39/90/94 triplex at 8 over (73) and I'd have to say that about 75% of those that pass me have IL plates and almost 100% of the time there are drivers from IL that are traveling at a much faster speed than the other drivers (>85).
[/quote]

I remember how I'd leave Wisconsin and all the troopers behind at the Illinois state line in the old days.  Now I see more cops in IL than in southern WI.  My last speeding ticket was in Illinois 10 years ago, and I've never had a ticket in WI (where I lived). 

I-39

Does anyone know if construction of the southern end of the U.S 12 bypass around Baraboo is still going to start for this summer? The website says "2015 or later"

Also, what is the status on the study continuing the U.S 12 freeway north of Middleton to Wis 19 west?

DaBigE

Quote from: adamlanfort on February 08, 2015, 04:19:57 PM
Does anyone know if construction of the southern end of the U.S 12 bypass around Baraboo is still going to start for this summer? The website says "2015 or later"

According to the proposal document that went out with the Dec 2014 letting for this project, it is scheduled for completion by September 30, 2016. So, given the scope of the work, I would say that a spring/summer 2015 start date is probable.

midwesternroadguy

Quote from: DaBigE on February 08, 2015, 05:09:45 PM
Quote from: adamlanfort on February 08, 2015, 04:19:57 PM

According to the proposal document that went out with the Dec 2014 letting for this project, it is scheduled for completion by September 30, 2016. So, given the scope of the work, I would say that a spring/summer 2015 start date is probable.

This was my understanding but the WisDOT project website's schedule page now says construction starting in 2015 or later with completion in 2017 or later. 
It can't happen soon enough.  However the alignment barely avoids a very scenic gorge and SNA and will have proximity impact to them. .   

It will be interesting to see how much traffic diverts from I90/94 once only Sauk City and the four stop lights southeast of there remain to impede traffic flow. 

Roadguy

This leaves the last 2 lane stretch between Leuders Road at the edge of Sauk City to County Road Z just south of the old ammunition plant.  Does anyone know if there are plans to expand this section to 4 lanes?

I'd bring up the whole Sauk City bypass discussion but I know at this point that is not going to happen.  I have heard politically this type of project is a no-go.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.