News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Wisconsin notes

Started by mgk920, May 30, 2012, 02:33:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSOWorld

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on April 29, 2015, 11:24:11 PM
I have no problem with 65 on expressways, but I do think 70 should be strictly reserved for full freeways. US 53 for example I think is not a 70 road after having driven between EC and Superior a number of times.
US 53's stretch between Rice Lake and Chippewa Falls may qualify, as could US 51 between Merrill and Wausau.  However I am inclined to agree with you Patrick.  Like most other states, 70 will be reserved for the rural stretches that may be less traveled such as I-39 between the Cascade interchange and Stevens Point, I-43 between Green Bay and Port Washington I-90 between La Crosse and Tomah, and I-94 between Eau Claire and Tomah.  The remainder of the Interstate system has lots of traffic and WisDOT will find an excuse to keep them 65 because of the traffic load.  An excuse that - IMHO - is a lame one (just ask ISHTA!)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

The Ghostbuster

As a lifelong Wisconsinite, I think the freeways and expressways are just fine with a speed limit of 65.

texaskdog

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 01, 2015, 07:01:27 PM
As a lifelong Wisconsinite, I think the freeways and expressways are just fine with a speed limit of 65.

Glad I don't live there.  The freeway just outside of downtown Austin is now 70.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: texaskdog on May 02, 2015, 03:52:30 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 01, 2015, 07:01:27 PM

Glad I don't live there.  The freeway just outside of downtown Austin is now 70.

Yeah because I judge what is a great place to live by how fast I can drive on the freeways.   :rolleyes:

colinstu

Don't under the "just fine" mentality. They'll be "even better" at 70 so might as well do it. Look at our surrounding state's limits. Let's move forward and just get this done.

SEWIGuy

Really I don't care either way, but why should Wisconsin do it just because other state's do?  We are talking about 5 mph.  15 minutes difference (assuming a constant speed limit) if you make the entire trip from Beloit to Hudson.

Some of the reasoning for this is really...odd. 

JREwing78

I welcome the speed limit boost just to get more consistency in travel speeds. The design of Wisconsin's freeways is no worse (and frequently better) than neighboring states, and yet (for political reasons) the speed limits are slower.

I also welcome anything that pulls attention back to driving from the distraction-of-the-month gadget.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: JREwing78 on May 02, 2015, 08:57:25 PM
I welcome the speed limit boost just to get more consistency in travel speeds. The design of Wisconsin's freeways is no worse (and frequently better) than neighboring states, and yet (for political reasons) the speed limits are slower.

I also welcome anything that pulls attention back to driving from the distraction-of-the-month gadget.

What are the political reasons why it is slower?  It seems as though WIDOT isn't excited about it.

JREwing78

- Safety concerns
- Worse fuel economy
- Big insurance wanting to keep rates higher

All not atypical of other areas where 70+ mph speed lmits were enacted.

texaskdog

yes I got pulled over on a long boring stretch of 65 just south of Mauston.  This road should have been a 75.

skluth

I agree with the rural expressways being 70. You can add WI 57 in the Door Peninsula to that list. I'm fine doing 65 but half the FIB's are doing at least 75 anyways. It also would probably work on 151 west of Verona, but I don't think it would work northeast of Madison.

hobsini2

Actually, from Sun Prairie to Columbus, it is interstate grade with no cross traffic.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

dave069

Quote from: JREwing78 on April 29, 2015, 08:18:35 PM
I think it's a good compromise. Keep in mind the stretches with at-grades also allow farm traffic, which I wasn't expecting the first time I drove US 151.

I agree. 70 on the freeways is a no-brainer to me especially since even IL and OH are 70 now, but I don't mind slowing down a bit where there is cross-traffic. I'm pleasantly surprised by this.

texaskdog

Well, you drive to the conditions of the road. I got pulled over behind someone from Montana who had been going 90.  I got caught at 79 but only got a warning.

skluth

Quote from: hobsini2 on May 03, 2015, 07:12:30 PM
Actually, from Sun Prairie to Columbus, it is interstate grade with no cross traffic.

Then it's not a rural expressway there, is it? If you read my post, I specifically mentioned rural expressways. It is an expressway for part of the way between Madison and Fondy. I didn't expect some pedant to be so into picking apart other people's posts that he doesn't care what the discussion was about in the first place.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: skluth on May 03, 2015, 11:02:13 PM

Then it's not a rural expressway there, is it? If you read my post, I specifically mentioned rural expressways. It is an expressway for part of the way between Madison and Fondy. I didn't expect some pedant to be so into picking apart other people's posts that he doesn't care what the discussion was about in the first place.

You must be new around here. :)
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

mgk920

Quote from: skluth on May 03, 2015, 01:21:23 PM
I agree with the rural expressways being 70. You can add WI 57 in the Door Peninsula to that list. I'm fine doing 65 but half the FIB's are doing at least 75 anyways. It also would probably work on 151 west of Verona, but I don't think it would work northeast of Madison.

I was 'keeping up with traffic' at 85-90 (140-150 km/h) on most of US 151 between Waupun and Sun Prairie while going to and from the Madison meet a couple of weeks ago.

Mike

SSOWorld

Quote from: mgk920 on May 04, 2015, 12:57:46 AM

I was 'keeping up with traffic' at 85-90 (140-150 km/h) on most of US 151 between Waupun and Sun Prairie while going to and from the Madison meet a couple of weeks ago.

Mike
yea but i bet politically you were going to fast. :P
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

mgk920

Quote from: SSOWorld on May 04, 2015, 06:41:24 AM
Quote from: mgk920 on May 04, 2015, 12:57:46 AM

Mike
yea but i bet politically you were going to fast. :P

'To fast' or 'too fast'?

:hmmm:

:meh:

Mike

mgk920

An Appleton area traffic note, the NB-off and SB-on ramps at I-41/WI 125 (College Ave) went down this morning for about two weeks to allow crews to do 25 year maintenance related work on the I-41 bridges over adjacent Spencer St.  This is arguably the most important street interchange on the entire metro freeway network and these are the two 'major moves' ramps at that interchange.

With other freeway (especially with US 10/WI 441 at WI 47) and major street work that is going on around Appleton right now, the next two weeks will be very interesting for those wanting to get in and out of the city.

The part of I-41 in the Appleton-Neenah area that was upgraded to six lanes in the very early 1990s is getting a rehab and this ramp closure is part of that project.

Mike

GeekJedi

Quote from: mgk920 on May 04, 2015, 11:49:35 AM
An Appleton area traffic note, the NB-off and SB-on ramps at I-41/WI 125 (College Ave) went down this morning for about two weeks to allow crews to do 25 year maintenance related work on the I-41 bridges over adjacent Spencer St.

:-o

Yikes! I can only imagine what that mess is like.
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

SSOWorld

Quote from: GeekJedi on May 04, 2015, 06:55:07 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on May 04, 2015, 11:49:35 AM
An Appleton area traffic note, the NB-off and SB-on ramps at I-41/WI 125 (College Ave) went down this morning for about two weeks to allow crews to do 25 year maintenance related work on the I-41 bridges over adjacent Spencer St.

:-o

Yikes! I can only imagine what that mess is like.
Exactly why there are only two seasons in WI.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

Fox 11 News

from the wires:

MADISON, Wis. (AP) - The state Senate is poised to vote on a bill that would clear the way for a 70 mph speed limit on at least some Wisconsin roads.

The bill would allow the state Department of Transportation to decide where to raise the limit from 65 mph to 70 mph. The measure would prohibit the DOT from raising the limit on four-lane roads with at-grade access, however.

The Senate is set to vote on the measure on Wednesday. It would then go to the state Assembly. That house passed the bill in March before legislators added the at-grade restriction. Both houses must pass an identical bill before it can go to Gov. Scott Walker for his signature.

hobsini2

Quote from: skluth on May 03, 2015, 11:02:13 PM

It was my reply to your "It also would probably work on 151 west of Verona, but I don't think it would work northeast of Madison."

You specifically said "NORTHEAST of Madison" on 151. That to me means you were talking about the entire corridor to Fond du Lac. I was simply pointing out that up to and including the Columbus bypass, 151 is interstate grade. I was not belittling anything you said. I could if you really want but that's not my style. So next time before you get upset about someone making a statement on what you said, maybe you should make sure that what you said is accurate.

:pan:
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Fox 11 News

MADISON, Wis. (AP) - The state Senate has approved a bill that would allow Wisconsin transportation officials to raise the speed limit on some roads to 70 mph.

The bill would permit the Department of Transportation officials to raise the limit to 70 mph on roads they deem fit. The proposal would prohibit DOT from going to 70 on four-lane roads with at-grade access, however.

The Senate passed the measure on a voice vote on Wednesday. It goes next to the state Assembly. That chamber passed the bill in March before legislators added the at-grade prohibition. Both houses must pass an identical bill before it can go to Gov. Scott Walker for his signature.

A Walker spokeswoman didn't immediately respond to an

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.