News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Wisconsin notes

Started by mgk920, May 30, 2012, 02:33:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

triplemultiplex

Quote from: JREwing78 on December 16, 2013, 09:58:46 PM
I've never seen a SPUI (Beltline/Verona Rd) that had piers in the middle of the interchange before. It appears to be arranged in such a way that it'll work fine, but after all the other SPUIs I've seen, it looks strange.
The proposed SPUI at US 18/151 and McKee Road also seems to have them.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

tchafe1978

Looks like the push to raise the speed limit on Wisconsin interstates is going nowhere...for now:

http://www.nbc15.com/home/headlines/Vos-supports-raising-Wis-speed-limits-to-70-mph-220072701.html

on_wisconsin

Hey, does anyone know how MnDOT and WisDOT decide who is responsible for each of the bridges between them (maintenance and replacement)?
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

JREwing78

Annoyingly, the new Hwy 26 bypass of Milton is showing a lot of settling after this winter, at least in the NBD lanes. The pavement is not obviously damaged, but there's a noticeable roller-coaster effect north of the Hwy 59 interchange.

Elsewhere when there's (anticipated) settling of the travel lanes, it appears that WisDOT specifies the lanes are paved in asphalt. The fact this stretch is all concrete suggests WisDOT didn't anticipate this would be an issue.

SSOWorld

Its called frost heaves.  This happens every year on every road in the state.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Milepost61

Quote from: on_wisconsin on February 16, 2014, 12:27:48 AM
Hey, does anyone know how MnDOT and WisDOT decide who is responsible for each of the bridges between them (maintenance and replacement)?

Depends partly on where the border actually is, and might also be case by case.

In the case of US 14-61 WisDOT did the high bridge project, but that's because it's wholly within Wisconsin, while the smaller bridges over the west channel were done by Mn/DOT.

MN 43 at Winona has Mn/DOT doing the high bridge because it's wholly within Minnesota. But Mn/DOT also has its snowplows handle WI 54 the two additional miles to WI 35 as part of a maintenance agreement.

The I-90 project is being done by Mn/DOT, maybe there's some cost sharing with WisDOT?

DaBigE

WisDOT has released its recommended alternative for the US 51/Stoughton Rd corridor. As some may have expected, it is a combination of the previous alternatives. Revised exhibits are posted on the study page, but here are a few of the highlights:

• Interchange with the Beltline -> DDI
  • Broadway intersection -> Echelon (modified)
  • Pflaum & Buckeye intersections -> split diamonds with one-way frontage roads and slip ramps...3 crossovers would be provided between those two roads, with US 51 sunk below current grade
  • Wis 30 interchange -> DDI
  • US 151/E Wash intersection -> SPUI
  • Realigned Hwy CV
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Brandon

Quote from: tchafe1978 on December 27, 2013, 11:31:52 PM
Looks like the push to raise the speed limit on Wisconsin interstates is going nowhere...for now:

http://www.nbc15.com/home/headlines/Vos-supports-raising-Wis-speed-limits-to-70-mph-220072701.html

Wisconsin: The Oregon of the Midwest.  X-(
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

gbgoose

I have a new job that has me going to Milwaukee and Chicago from Green Bay.  Taking I-43 from Sheboygan to Milwaukee is bumpy to say the least - especially between Port Washington and Glendale.  I'm hoping WIDOT has some resurfacing projects coming soon!

froggie

Speaking of US 51, noticed while passing through yesterday that there's construction underway to widen it for a few miles further north, to near the Dane County line, with an interchange at CTH V West.  The current roadway along the east edge of De Forest looks like it will become a frontage road.  From what I saw of the construction and what's been completed further south (including an interchange at Windsor Rd), it looks like there will technically be a freeway section on US 51 from just south of WI 19 to just north of CTH V West.

Right on Red

We were in Milwaukee last weekend and went through the Zoo Interchange. US45N to I-94W is closed, and the detour is Blue Mound (US18). Traffic was backed up to about a mile before the I-94W to US45N ramp (and on US45 further south). I'd hate to see what it's like during rush hour.

colinstu

That closure is only during the night.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: Right on Red on April 08, 2014, 03:34:08 PM
We were in Milwaukee last weekend and went through the Zoo Interchange. US45N to I-94W is closed, and the detour is Blue Mound (US18). Traffic was backed up to about a mile before the I-94W to US45N ramp (and on US45 further south). I'd hate to see what it's like during rush hour.

Yeah, that one was temporary for construction at Hwy 100.  They were probably bringing down the old overpasses.  They've also got a new railroad bridge going in there this year.
I'm pretty sure they're going to do this project without long term closures of system ramps.  Just temporary ones to rip out old bridges and to lift girders for new ones into place.

Froggie's got it exactly right; US 51 is becoming a freeway through DeForest.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

tchafe1978

I was heading back home from Milwaukee through Madison last week, and partly out of curiosity, and also partly because I had never gone that way before, I took the recommended alternate US 18-151 around the Verona Rd. construction. That route takes you east (south) on US 14 to the County MM exit, then west on County M, to County PB, back to US 18-151 buy Verona. Not a bad route, even if it is a few miles longer. It avoids all the stoplights on Verona Rd, and the way I would probably go if I was hitting rush hour. However, I noticed one peculiar thing with signing along US 14. After the Beltline, the first signing for an exit you see is for McCoy Rd, 1/2 Mile. Then maybe a couple hundred feet down the road, you see a sign for Lacy Rd., 1 Mile, before even getting to the McCoy Rd. exit. I thought this was rather odd and confusing. Lacy Rd. shouldn't be signed until after the McCoy Rd. exit. I tried to look it up on streetview, but unfortunately, it doesn't even have the Lacy Rd. exit as even existing. The wording on the sign at the McCoy Rd. exit was also poorly aligned, looking something like Mc  Coy Rd. Worst signing I'd seen in a while.

DaBigE

Quote from: tchafe1978 on April 21, 2014, 03:08:40 PM
The wording on the sign at the McCoy Rd. exit was also poorly aligned, looking something like Mc  Coy Rd. Worst signing I'd seen in a while.

That ugly spacing has also shown up on a few signs for McFarland as well.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

GeekJedi

Quote from: tchafe1978 on April 21, 2014, 03:08:40 PM
I thought this was rather odd and confusing. Lacy Rd. shouldn't be signed until after the McCoy Rd. exit. I tried to look it up on streetview, but unfortunately, it doesn't even have the Lacy Rd. exit as even existing.

That Lacy Rd. interchange is pretty new, so it doesn't surprise me that it's not on street view.  They did end up closing the EB on-ramp and WB off-ramp when they opened the interchange.  Also, Lacy road was actually routed over the bridge immediately South of the interchange, but they put in a roundabout to the SW and put Lacy Rd. on a new alignment.
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

SEWIGuy

The Lacy Road interchange is about 18 months old.  I thought the initial plan was to completely close McCoy Road, but that never happened.

Here is a summary of the project.  The Lacy Road exit was done by the City of Fitchburg.

http://www.dot.state.wi.us/projects/d1/us14/completed.htm

JREwing78

WIS-73 north of Edgerton to US-12/18 near Cambridge to be closed to thru traffic until November:
http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/projects/swregion/73/

A good thing, too - WisDOT is expecting this stretch to be a reliever route for I-39/90 traffic during construction or a major accident. This construction also includes the US-12/18 overpass of WIS-73.

tchafe1978

Quote from: SEWIGuy on April 21, 2014, 09:05:22 PM
The Lacy Road interchange is about 18 months old.  I thought the initial plan was to completely close McCoy Road, but that never happened.

Here is a summary of the project.  The Lacy Road exit was done by the City of Fitchburg.

http://www.dot.state.wi.us/projects/d1/us14/completed.htm

I remember now reading about the project, but I didn't remember exactly what took place until I looked at it again. Thanks for the link.

JREwing78

I also happened across a study of US 14 between Brooklyn and Janesville:
http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/projects/swregion/us14projects/14/index.htm

The goal of the study is to "preserve" the existing route as long as possible, but with safety improvements as appropriate.

As I am a frequent traveler of this stretch of highway, I decided to put in a public comment before tomorrow's deadline. Here is my comment:

- - -

As a frequent traveler on US 14 between Janesville and Madison, I have had frequent opportunity to observe traffic behavior on various days and times. I have a few suggestions that should fit the goal of not widening or relocating US 14 to a significant degree.

1) US 14, I-90 to Kennedy Rd
With the exception of the intersection at Hwy 26 (a prime candidate for an "Echelon" intersection, by the way), the left turn lanes at each stoplight are poorly angled, making it difficult to see oncoming traffic before proceeding through the intersection. The median should be reconfigured to either eliminate traffic from side streets flowing straight through the intersection, or the left turn lanes on US 14 should be angled to provide better visibility to left-turning traffic.

2) US 14 at Newville Rd
It appears this intersection may soon warrant a stoplight due to the commercial construction immediately south of the intersection.

3) US 14 / US 51 intersection
The intersection would appear to be a prime candidate for a roundabout, given the large amount of left-turning traffic, the odd angle at which US 14 intersects US 51, and the desire to calm traffic entering and exiting the intersection. Traffic currently has to wait up to 2 minutes to make a left turn at this intersection as it waits through the remaining signal cycles. A roundabout would also limit the amount of additional land required to accommodate the intersection.

4) US 14, US 51 to County E
There is a significant amount of left-turning traffic entering and exiting the roadway all along this stretch. The intersection of County F at US 14 is particularly problematic; sightlines are very poor for southbound traffic on County F attempting to turn left to head eastbound on US 14.

The fix that would best fit the Study's goals would be to realign County F to meet at an intersection with US 51 north of US 14. This would eliminate a dangerous intersection without having to acquire and demolish buildings, or perform any widening of US 14.

If County F is not realigned, it is very difficult to improve the safety of this stretch without extending the 4-lane divided highway westward past the County F intersection and adding a stoplight or roundabout at County F. This would also add to congestion on this stretch of road. This seems to be at odds with the goals of the study.

In addition, additional turn lanes and passing flares would provide additional safety for turning traffic. 10-foot wide shoulders would provide safer travel by farm implements, bicyclists, and other slow-moving traffic. It would also provide additional safety for disabled vehicles.

5) US 14, County E to County H
More passing flares for left-turning traffic are needed, as well as turn lanes for right-turning traffic. Also, providing 10-foot paved shoulders on each side would better accommodate tractors, bicyclists, and other slow-moving traffic. It would also provide a safer place for vehicle breakdowns.

6) US 14 at County H
There is significant left-turning traffic at this intersection, and visibility for traffic northbound on County H is deficient due to the nearby buildings and the angle US 14 intersects it with. Turn lanes for left and right-turning traffic, and possibly a stoplight activated by traffic waiting on County H would provide safer travel through the intersection. Realigning County H so it is perpendicular to US 14 would also be helpful.

7) US 14, County H to County M
This stretch would also benefit from 10-foot paved shoulders, passing flares, and turn lanes.

It would also benefit from a set of passing lanes in each direction. This would cut down on traffic attempting unsafe passing maneuvers on this stretch of highway. For example, eastbound traffic could have a passing lane between Tuttle Rd and Cassidy Rd. Westbound traffic could have its passing lane between County H and Eagle Rd.

8) Territorial Rd/Bullard Rd "bypass" of Evansville
The utility of the "bypass" using Territorial Rd and Bullard Rd is obvious. It easily saves 5-10 minutes of travel time for through traffic. I don't see how you would encourage traffic to continue on US 14, short of introducing dead ends on Territorial Rd. The only reasonable response to improve safety while maintaining the route's utility would be to widen and realign the route to state highway standards, which goes against the goals of the study.

A logical US 14 bypass of Evansville would start immediately north of Union, intersecting Hwy 59 perpendicularly, then make a 90 degree turn south to intersect Union Rd perpendicularly. It would then continue south to meet Territorial Rd at Bullard Rd. It would then roughly follow the existing Territorial Rd south to meet the existing US 14. The existing US 14 alignment could be retained as a business route.

9) US 14, Hwy 59/213 intersection in Evansville to Hwy 59 just north of Union
Realign US 14/Hwy 59 to bypass Union to the south and west, with a realignment of Hwy 59 to meet at a new intersection with US 14 NW of Union. The existing US 14/Hwy 59 can terminate in a cul-de-sac at both the north and south ends.

Also, as noted previously, 10-foot shoulders, passing flares, turn lanes as appropriate.

If traffic absolutely must be maintained on the existing US 14/Hwy 59 stretch through Union, a roundabout at the Hwy 59 intersection would calm traffic sufficiently. I also suspect it would prove very unpopular with area residents.

10) US 14, Hwy 59 intersection @ Union to Hwy 92
As noted previously, 10-foot shoulders, passing flares, and turn lanes as appropriate.

The stretch just south of Holt Rd northerly to Hwy 92 would be an appropriate location for passing lanes.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: JREwing78 on April 21, 2014, 10:03:26 PM
WIS-73 north of Edgerton to US-12/18 near Cambridge to be closed to thru traffic until November:

A good thing, too - WisDOT is expecting this stretch to be a reliever route for I-39/90 traffic during construction or a major accident. This construction also includes the US-12/18 overpass of WIS-73.

Really?  This project includes a US-12/18 overpass?  That is the first I have heard of that.

I have been complaining about the WI-73/US12/18 intersection ever since they redid 12/18 between Madison and Cambridge.  It has been a problem since it opened about 15 years ago.

Revive 755

I thought that stretch of US 12/US 18 was intended to be upgraded to a full freeway eventually?  Seems WisDOT should be going for at least a regular interchange for EB US 12/US 18 at WIS 73 instead of a right in-right out.

JREwing78

Quote from: Revive 755 on April 22, 2014, 05:20:38 PM

I thought that stretch of US 12/US 18 was intended to be upgraded to a full freeway eventually?

Only to County N. http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/projects/swregion/1218conv/index.htm

They have a separate study for the stretch between County N and US 12 that does not involve widening or bypasses: http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/projects/swregion/12nto26/

SEWIGuy

Quote from: JREwing78 on April 22, 2014, 08:54:35 PM
Quote from: Revive 755 on April 22, 2014, 05:20:38 PM

I thought that stretch of US 12/US 18 was intended to be upgraded to a full freeway eventually?

Only to County N. http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/projects/swregion/1218conv/index.htm

They have a separate study for the stretch between County N and US 12 that does not involve widening or bypasses: http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/projects/swregion/12nto26/

WIDOT upgrades WI-26 to four lanes based on traffic counts of about 8,000 per day.

But the stretch of US-12/18 between Cambridge and Madison gets about 11,500 per day...and no consideration of widening.

JREwing78

The stretch between Milton and Watertown was in the 11,000-12,000 per day range.
http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/travel/counts/docs/jefferson/jefferson2009.pdf

It's also a safe bet that WI-26 gets more truck traffic (though for some reason I can't find that data).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.