News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WashuOtaku

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on April 06, 2023, 03:30:32 PM
North Carolina along with Tennessee has ran into some serious budget shortfalls and in NC a tax on Uber/Lyft and rider sharing help close the gap a bit: https://www.wral.com/story/new-tax-on-uber-lyft-seen-as-partial-answer-on-nc-road-funding/20797915/

Most on the list are reasonable and of course this is not the final version of it. The only item that bothers me is raising the cap of the public-private partnership from three to six; this is not needed as there is only one currently and that had been such a clusterf*ck that politicians have stayed away from doing any others.

cowboy_wilhelm

Another "future" Interstate is being proposed.

Edwards introduces bill to designate US 74 as a future interstate

"Congressman Chuck Edwards (NC-11) this week introduced H.R. 2551 to designate US Highway 74, from I-26 in Columbus, N.C. to I-85 in Kings Mountain, N.C., as a future interstate. Rep. Patrick McHenry (NC-10) is an original cosponsor of the legislation.

"This bill is the first step toward adding US 74 to the interstate highway system.

"A future-interstate designation will allow the North Carolina Department of Transportation to place corresponding signs along the corridor that runs through Polk, Rutherford, Cleveland and Gaston counties, while the road is brought up to interstate standards."

sprjus4

Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on April 12, 2023, 02:13:05 PM

"Congressman Chuck Edwards (NC-11) this week introduced H.R. 2551 to designate US Highway 74, from I-26 in Columbus, N.C. to I-85 in Kings Mountain, N.C., as a future interstate. Rep. Patrick McHenry (NC-10) is an original cosponsor of the legislation.

"This bill is the first step toward adding US 74 to the interstate highway system.

"A future-interstate designation will allow the North Carolina Department of Transportation to place corresponding signs along the corridor that runs through Polk, Rutherford, Cleveland and Gaston counties, while the road is brought up to interstate standards."
This one was inevitably going to happen, and it's a logical link. Once the Shelby Bypass is complete, it will be a full freeway between I-26 and I-85. Some parts would need shoulder widening but that's about it.

wdcrft63

Although it's not an official state policy, the efforts of Congress, city councils, and chambers of commerce are succeeding in putting every city in NC on or near an interstate or at least a proposed interstate. Shelby isn't that large, with a population of about 22,000, but the only larger cities I can think of without a nearby interstate are Monroe and Jacksonville. And both of them want to join the club.

wriddle082

Quote from: sprjus4 on April 12, 2023, 02:58:49 PM

This one was inevitably going to happen, and it's a logical link. Once the Shelby Bypass is complete, it will be a full freeway between I-26 and I-85. Some parts would need shoulder widening but that's about it.

There are still a few at-grade intersections in the Mooresboro area, roughly between the NC 120 interchange and the western end of the Shelby Bypass.  But it's a fairly short distance and should be relatively easy to upgrade.  Everywhere else should be shoulder upgrades for the most part.

Quote from: wdcrft63 on April 12, 2023, 06:46:44 PM
Although it's not an official state policy, the efforts of Congress, city councils, and chambers of commerce are succeeding in putting every city in NC on or near an interstate or at least a proposed interstate. Shelby isn't that large, with a population of about 22,000, but the only larger cities I can think of without a nearby interstate are Monroe and Jacksonville. And both of them want to join the club.

I am thinking this isn't so much for the benefit of Shelby as it is for much better connectivity between Greater Asheville and Greater Charlotte.  Shelby has long suffered from traffic backups along their original "bypass"  and the second freeway bypass is being built to alleviate this.  But the official future interstate designation gives the whole corridor the attention it deserves.  By no means will this be a useless interstate.

Strider

It will have to be I-x26 since it quotes "FROM I-26 in Columbus, N.C. to I-85 in Kings Mountain, NC....". We already have I-285, I-485, I-785 and I-885. I-685 is reserved for the US 421 from Greensboro to Dunn (or Wilmington.. in which I think does not make any sense.. it should have just go to Fayetteville), so pretty much there is no even I-x85s left.

planxtymcgillicuddy

Turn lane being put in on US-421 by the North Wilkesboro Speedway. Wonder if this is the first step in a proper exit getting out in at Fishing Creek Road........

https://imgur.com/a/tPOiyt7
It's easy to be easy when you're easy...

Quote from: on_wisconsin on November 27, 2021, 02:39:12 PM
Whats a Limon, and does it go well with gin?

wdcrft63

Quote from: Strider on April 12, 2023, 07:03:22 PM

It will have to be I-x26 since it quotes "FROM I-26 in Columbus, N.C. to I-85 in Kings Mountain, NC....". We already have I-285, I-485, I-785 and I-885. I-685 is reserved for the US 421 from Greensboro to Dunn (or Wilmington.. in which I think does not make any sense.. it should have just go to Fayetteville), so pretty much there is no even I-x85s left.
FWIW NC has state routes 126 and 226 but not 326 or 426. SC has I-126 at Columbia but no I-326 or 426.

Evan_Th

It should really be an I-36 or I-38 all the way from Columbus to Wilmington.  Kill I-74.

cowboy_wilhelm

Quote from: wriddle082 on April 12, 2023, 06:52:09 PM

There are still a few at-grade intersections in the Mooresboro area, roughly between the NC 120 interchange and the western end of the Shelby Bypass.  But it’s a fairly short distance and should be relatively easy to upgrade.  Everywhere else should be shoulder upgrades for the most part.

An interchange is planned and a design-build project will be let this July. The remainder of the Shelby Bypass is still scheduled to be let in July as well. So, roughly four more years before it's finally a continuous freeway.

R-4045 Alternative 1A

There are also some ramps that aren't wide enough to meet interstate standards. For example, Exit 161 at I-26/Columbus. I don't know why they didn't go ahead and widen the loop when they built the rest of the I-26 interchange a few years ago.

Too bad that large portions of US 74 were recently resurfaced in Cleveland and Rutherford counties. A contract was just let for paving from the Polk County line to the US 74A exit. I wouldn't expect any action for at least a decade.

sprjus4

Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on April 12, 2023, 07:55:46 PM
There are also some ramps that aren't wide enough to meet interstate standards. For example, Exit 161 at I-26/Columbus. I don't know why they didn't go ahead and widen the loop when they built the rest of the I-26 interchange a few years ago.
It's a narrower 25 mph loop ramp but I'm not sure how that doesn't meet interstate standards?

The Ghostbuster

I would support an upgrade of US 74 to Interstate Standards (both the portion between Interstates 26 and 85, and the portion east of Charlotte), but would not support adding an Interstate designation. If an Interstate designation must be added, I'd choose Interstate 36 for a 2di, and Interstate 426 for a 3di.

cowboy_wilhelm

Quote from: sprjus4 on April 12, 2023, 09:47:55 PM
Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on April 12, 2023, 07:55:46 PM
It's a narrower 25 mph loop ramp but I'm not sure how that doesn't meet interstate standards?

The current ramp is between 15 and 16 ft. wide. Minimum width for a loop is 16 ft. and should be at least 18 ft. if the loop radius is less than 230 ft. Interstate loops are recommended to be at least 230 ft. where feasible to maintain a 30 mph design speed.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: Evan_Th on April 12, 2023, 07:37:20 PM

It should really be an I-36 or I-38 all the way from Columbus to Wilmington.  Kill I-74.

I understand, but honestly I am fine with a I-x26 for this section since any Columbus to Wilmington route would have needless concurrences in the Charlotte Metro area. For Wilmington, better option is to change Congress' passed law on extending I-74 by eliminating that section east of Cincinnati, Ohio and renumbering existing I-74 in North Carolina into I-36/38/46/48/Whatever from I-77 east to Wilmington, eliminating north of Virginia and South Carolina completely... that's the better solution in my opinion. It is unfortunate that's an Act of Congress though to accomplish.

LM117

Called it years ago. I-426 was my pick.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Mr. ENC

Quote from: WashuOtaku on April 13, 2023, 08:58:27 AM

I understand, but honestly I am fine with a I-x26 for this section since any Columbus to Wilmington route would have needless concurrences in the Charlotte Metro area. For Wilmington, better option is to change Congress' passed law on extending I-74 by eliminating that section east of Cincinnati, Ohio and renumbering existing I-74 in North Carolina into I-36/38/46/48/Whatever from I-77 east to Wilmington, eliminating north of Virginia and South Carolina completely... that's the better solution in my opinion. It is unfortunate that's an Act of Congress though to accomplish.

I actually made a post a few years back on fictional interstates that it should part of I-42. Have it start at Kings Mountain at I 26, run with I -85 through Charlotte, then split off at Kannapolis going towards Asheboro, use it's bypass and continue going east towards Apex following US-64, merge onto 540and use that to meet back up at the current I-42 just south of Garner. That way you can go to Charlotte without ever passing through Triangle or Triad traffic.

Henry

Quote from: WashuOtaku on April 13, 2023, 08:58:27 AM

I-28, I-32 and I-34 have not been used either.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

The Ghostbuster

The US 74 Bypass Shelby Bypass have a completion date of 2027 (although it will likely be sufficiently longer for any Interstate designation to come to fruition). I also wouldn't be surprised if US 74 between Charlotte and Rockingham is eventually proposed to be added to the Interstate System as well (although I highly doubt existing and future Interstate 74 east of Rockingham will ever be renumbered). If a two-digit Interstate Highway designation is chosen for the Columbus-Kings Mountain segment, it would likely have to follow Interstate 85 and Interstate 485 to connect to Rockingham, since I highly doubt they will upgrade all of US 74/E. Independence Blvd. into an Interstate Standard freeway.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 21, 2023, 11:27:12 AM
The US 74 Bypass Shelby Bypass have a completion date of 2027 (although it will likely be sufficiently longer for any Interstate designation to come to fruition). I also wouldn't be surprised if US 74 between Charlotte and Rockingham is eventually proposed to be added to the Interstate System as well (although I highly doubt existing and future Interstate 74 east of Rockingham will ever be renumbered). If a two-digit Interstate Highway designation is chosen for the Columbus-Kings Mountain segment, it would likely have to follow Interstate 85 and Interstate 485 to connect to Rockingham, since I highly doubt they will upgrade all of US 74/E. Independence Blvd. into an Interstate Standard freeway.

If Columbus-Kings Mountain becomes a I-x26, then I can also see that for Matthews-Rockingham as a I-x73 or I-x74 route. I don't see a need of a two-digit interstate needed unless there is real talk about Columbus to Wilmington route, which there is not.

LM117

^ I don't think the Matthews-Rockingham segment can become an interstate, given that the Monroe Bypass is tolled.

LM117

wdcrft63

Quote from: LM117 on April 21, 2023, 02:29:25 PM
New bridges at the I-440/Wade Avenue interchange will soon open.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2023/2023-04-21-i-440-beltline-wade-avenue-bridge-new.aspx
This includes the big flyover bridge carrying WB Wade Avenue over I-440. Once over that bridge there's a left exit to a new bridge carrying WB Wade Avenue drivers over EB Wade avenue to enter I-440 WB. This is a major step toward completion of the new interchange.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: LM117 on April 21, 2023, 02:27:35 PM
^ I don't think the Matthews-Rockingham segment can become an interstate, given that the Monroe Bypass is tolled.

A toll road for roughly 30-50 years, about the same time frame it takes for NCDOT to build a freeway between Marshville and Rockingham. So it can work out, eventually.

Mapmikey

This dynamic is no longer a problem for converting to an interstate.

sprjus4

Quote from: Mapmikey on April 21, 2023, 06:52:49 PM

This dynamic is no longer a problem for converting to an interstate.
Then what is the issue with NC-540 becoming I-540?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.