News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Winter weather thread

Started by TravelingBethelite, January 20, 2016, 11:26:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big John

^^ In a 1999 blizzard, Catholic churches were closed on one Sunday in the Milwaukee diocese as many had no way to get there.

noelbotevera

I still have no school, and no school tomorrow on the 27th. This might turn into a one week vacation from school for me. The aftermath really shook up the Northeast, but hey, we're pros at this.

dcbjms

Quote from: noelbotevera on January 26, 2016, 04:49:15 PM
I still have no school, and no school tomorrow on the 27th. This might turn into a one week vacation from school for me. The aftermath really shook up the Northeast, but hey, we're pros at this.

Meanwhile, over here, whatever snow we got is melting so fast it's making some people happy.  That's even though by local standards what we got was basically "lightweight".  If this weather keeps up, you'd barely know that it's winter were it not for the trees being so bare.

Of course, now everyone is crazy over the potential for a big snowstorm on Friday, so the euphoria may be short-lived.  But, at least we got lucky.

cl94

Quote from: dcbjms on January 26, 2016, 05:05:50 PM

Meanwhile, over here, whatever snow we got is melting so fast it's making some people happy.  That's even though by local standards what we got was basically "lightweight".  If this weather keeps up, you'd barely know that it's winter were it not for the trees being so bare.

Of course, now everyone is crazy over the potential for a big snowstorm on Friday, so the euphoria may be short-lived.  But, at least we got lucky.

People in Albany are quite shocked at the lack of snow. It's one of the lightest winters on record so far. Heck, it was 45 degrees today. That's unheard of during January. What remains of the plow mounds is quickly melting.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Duke87

Quote from: slorydn1 on January 23, 2016, 11:20:51 PM
Wow, first time I have ever encountered a TV news website that is pay walled. Oh well.....

Yes, well, Cablevision likes to dangle News 12 as something you can't have if you get your TV from one of their competitors instead of them, which they can do because they own it. Naturally, the website has the same restrictions placed on it. If you live outside of Cablevision's territory, this means you have no way to get access, but considering the intent is to provide local news that's something they don't consider to be a problem. Hell, even the TV station is location restricted. Growing up in Connecticut we had the Connecticut version of News 12. If we wanted to watch the version of News 12 from a different area, tough, it wasn't available to us.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

1995hoo

Quote from: roadman on January 26, 2016, 04:22:07 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on January 24, 2016, 08:39:23 AM
Best sign it was a big snowstorm: The bishop urged everyone to watch Mass on TV instead of trying to attend in person.
Technically, the bishop gave a special dispensation relieving the faithful of their obligation to attend Sunday Mass.  Watching Mass on TV was only a suggestion, not a requirement.

I said "urged," didn't I?
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

noelbotevera

All that snow we got is gonna become ice thanks to freezing rain this weekend.

Rothman

Quote from: cl94 on January 26, 2016, 05:19:08 PM
Quote from: dcbjms on January 26, 2016, 05:05:50 PM

People in Albany are quite shocked at the lack of snow. It's one of the lightest winters on record so far. Heck, it was 45 degrees today. That's unheard of during January. What remains of the plow mounds is quickly melting.

Meh.  We've had other forms of precipitation, though, so I'm not that concerned about the lack of snow.  It was the winter a couple of years ago (or rather, total lack thereof) that was truly shocking -- that season just felt wrong and eerie.  It was even warmer in January that year.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jeffandnicole

I hope that was being said sarcastically.  If they were pros at this, schools would've reopened Monday without any loss of classtime. 

Nearly every school district that had been closed is resuming class today.

empirestate

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 27, 2016, 08:10:20 AM

I hope that was being said sarcastically.  If they were pros at this, schools would've reopened Monday without any loss of classtime. 

Nearly every school district that had been closed is resuming class today.

Should be pros, at least. I still don't get, as I said before, why snowy weather is re-discovered every year by those localities who experience it with that frequency. My Facebook timeline just presented me with a "memory" photo of me standing in a blizzard in NYC on January 27th...of last year.

ET21

Another decent system is being worked over in the models for the Monday to Wednesday period of next week.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

cl94

Quote from: ET21 on January 27, 2016, 10:16:15 PM
Another decent system is being worked over in the models for the Monday to Wednesday period of next week.

Looks like it'll be mostly rain. Early prediction here is 52 with half an inch of rain. The hurting tourism industry probably doesn't like that one bit.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

ghYHZ

Quote from: ghYHZ on January 24, 2016, 06:09:24 AM
Usually what you get in the Northeast…….we’ll get six hours later in the Maritimes. Well this time something happened and the storm headed out into the Atlantic just glancing the very southern tip of Nova Scotia and along the coast with about 4cm (1 ½”).

This would have been our third storm in less than two weeks so a bit of a break..... but I’m sure you’ll send something our way the next time.

Well I guess it was pay-back time this weekend! A Nor'easter rolled up the coast Friday evening with heavy wet snow....about 30cm (12" ).....and the power is now just back on after 42 hours.

There's a major melt-down already: 6 deg this afternoon and up to 12 (54 deg) tomorrow.....a bit uncommon for the first of February.

And on Tuesday....sun and cloud so a pretty good chance Shubenacadie  Sam will see his shadow:

http://www.novanewsnow.com/Living/2016-01-20/article-4420394/Shubenacadie-Sam-gearing-up-for-his-big-day/1

Desert Man

Highs were above 80F or 27C on Fri and Sat, then came a stormfront dropped the highs to 65F and strong winds along with sprinkles. This is winter weather for the Palm Springs area and So CA.  :bigass: I had to use that emoticon to express myself.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

dcbjms

Pete from Boston

noelbotevera

Pete from Boston

Actually, I stand corrected (with noelbotevera's caveat acknowledged).  Latest forecast is 8" here. 

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: Pete from Boston on February 04, 2016, 04:46:36 PM
Actually, I stand corrected (with noelbotevera's caveat acknowledged).  Latest forecast is 8" here.

Went from a 20% chance of flurries yesterday to up to 6" here in CT today. Plus we might get nailed next Tuesday and the coldest weather of the winter next weekend.  Thanks for the kiss of death, Mr. Groundhog

UPDATE: We got 10".  With the last 2 storms, my town is approaching Buffalo's snow total for the winter.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Rothman

Nothing here in the Capital District of NY.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

cl94

Albany area got its first significant snowfall yesterday. 3-4 inches. People were either driving like grandma or like roads were dry and clear (which they certainly weren't). Unsurprisingly, Ichabod Crane School District went on a 2 hour delay this morning because of it.

noelbotevera

Quote from: cl94 on February 09, 2016, 09:27:02 AM
Albany area got its first significant snowfall yesterday. 3-4 inches. People were either driving like grandma or like roads were dry and clear (which they certainly weren't). Unsurprisingly, Ichabod Crane School District went on a 2 hour delay this morning because of it.
Same here (about 3-4 inches, and 2.5 more coming), but school was canceled.

Rothman

Quote from: cl94 on February 09, 2016, 09:27:02 AM

Pfft.  3-4 inches?  At least west of the Hudson, the fall was more like 1-2 inches.

Still, I'll take it.  This winter is almost perfect in my book.  I would like to be able to go out sledding at some point, though!

Thing 342

We had a quick inch come in last night, and may get a bit more today.

freebrickproductions

We got some snow that actually accumulated here in Huntsville, AL this morning.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.