News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Dibs

Started by Brandon, November 27, 2018, 01:55:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

After the recent winter storm, it's time for the old furniture and other junk to come out to claim shoveled out parking spaces in and around Chicago.  How many other places have this practice?

It's even a question in the mayoral races here: With flakes falling, Chicago mayoral candidates weigh in on "˜dibs' parking practice.

There are even columns on it: First big snowfall brings Judge Dibs to the bench
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

hotdogPi

Around here, the only things that take up multiple parking spaces in winter that aren't meant to be in parking spaces are snow and Christmas trees.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

roadman

Quote from: 1 on November 27, 2018, 02:01:46 PM
Around here, the only things that take up multiple parking spaces in winter that aren't meant to be in parking spaces are snow and Christmas trees.
What?  You live in Eastern Massachusetts and you've never heard of the space saver?  I'm surprised.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

jeffandnicole

Probably any big city...or any area where street parking is a premium...it's an issue.

It's been a big issue in Philly for decades as well.  Lately the heat has been turned up a bit lately, although it's probably due to the freedom of Twitter.  I think, if I recall correctly, some Philly officials don't want people saving spaces, and other Philly officials either say it's traditional Philly to save spaces, or just want to stay clear of the issue. 

Ultimately, the guys on the road (cops) enforce whatever standard they want, and I believe they just want to be hands off.  If they have a choice about busting someone saving a spot with a lawn chair, or, say, doing anything else, they're going to do anything else.

1995hoo

I live in the suburbs and there is no tradition of space-saving here. The one fellow in our neighborhood who seemed to feel otherwise moved away a few years ago. I must hasten to note that he didn't use a space-saver nor any other object to "claim"  a space–in fact he left a space vacant for more than 48 hours and then got outraged that it was occupied. Regardless of anyone's feelings on the "dibs"  practice (I personally take a dim view of it), I thought it was pretty much universal that in places where such a custom is accepted, you have to use something to "claim"  the space. Just removing the snow isn't enough.

I know in the District of Columbia  there have been problems over the years caused by conflicts between people hailing from places like Chicago and Boston who think their cities' practices are obligatory everywhere else and people who come from places with no "dibs"  custom. The city's position is that you can't legally claim a space on a public street, but it doesn't stop some of the more obnoxious people from vandalizing cars and the like.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 27, 2018, 02:30:55 PM
it doesn't stop some of the more obnoxious people from vandalizing cars and the like.

That right there is the only thing that keeps me from getting out, picking up the object, moving it onto the lawn, and then parking it "their" spot.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

abefroman329

I'm so happy we've had garage parking for 4 of the 5 years we've been back in Chicago and, consequently, I don't have to have an opinion on dibs.  The one year we didn't have off-street parking, I accidentally parked in front of someone's driveway (the snowfall was so heavy, I didn't notice it) and, mercifully, our car was not vandalized, only ticketed.

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 27, 2018, 02:30:55 PM
I live in the suburbs and there is no tradition of space-saving here. The one fellow in our neighborhood who seemed to feel otherwise moved away a few years ago. I must hasten to note that he didn't use a space-saver nor any other object to "claim"  a space–in fact he left a space vacant for more than 48 hours and then got outraged that it was occupied. Regardless of anyone's feelings on the "dibs"  practice (I personally take a dim view of it), I thought it was pretty much universal that in places where such a custom is accepted, you have to use something to "claim"  the space. Just removing the snow isn't enough.

I know in the District of Columbia  there have been problems over the years caused by conflicts between people hailing from places like Chicago and Boston who think their cities' practices are obligatory everywhere else and people who come from places with no "dibs"  custom. The city's position is that you can't legally claim a space on a public street, but it doesn't stop some of the more obnoxious people from vandalizing cars and the like.
DC only gets snowstorms heavy enough for anyone to even consider dibs once every 5-10 years.  In Chicago and Boston, they happen at least once a year.  That's why citizens of these cities have given it more thought than citizens of DC.

ET21

If I ever live in Chicago, I'll pay extra $ to have a reserved spot
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

1995hoo

Quote from: abefroman329 on November 27, 2018, 02:54:36 PM
I'm so happy we've had garage parking for 4 of the 5 years we've been back in Chicago and, consequently, I don't have to have an opinion on dibs.  ....

I know my feeling might vary if I lived in a dense urban area where I had to park on the street, but in general, my thoughts are (1) you can't save space on a public street, and (2) more importantly, you're not shovelling out the space to perform a public service–rather, you're shovelling out the space because you want to remove your car from that space. I know some people say there's sweat equity or similar, but I don't buy it. The "reward" for all your "hard work" is that you get to drive your car. You shouldn't get some kind of gold star on top of that.

My grandparents lived in Bay Ridge (Brooklyn) and there was no tradition of space-saving there despite the more frequent need to shovel and the scarcity of parking spaces. If someone took "your" space, you did the same thing you did all the other days of the year when you couldn't find a space–you went around the block and tried again, and it would sometimes take half an hour or more to find a space. The only "unofficial" parking custom they had involved the acceptance of double-parking on alternate side days, and it was universally understood in the neighborhood that you had to leave a note on your dashboard with your address so the person you blocked could come ring your doorbell if he needed to move his car.

Quote from: abefroman329 on November 27, 2018, 02:54:36 PM

DC only gets snowstorms heavy enough for anyone to even consider dibs once every 5-10 years.  In Chicago and Boston, they happen at least once a year.  That's why citizens of these cities have given it more thought than citizens of DC.

The problem happens when those massive snows occur, such as January 2016. The city has made it clear many times–space-saving is against the law in DC. Doesn't stop the Chicago and Boston transplants from wanting to pretend their cities' customs apply. Look, if you want to push the snow back into the space or dump it on the car that took "your" spot, whatever. That's a nuisance for someone else, but it doesn't cause property damage or financial loss. It's the vandalism that's unacceptable, ESPECIALLY when someone from Chicago or Boston moves elsewhere but then think it's OK to vandalize because that's what he does at home. It is in no way OK to slash someone's tire (potentially a $200+ expense, depending on the type of tire) just because that person parked on a public street.

abefroman329

I agree that vandalism of cars that "stole" a cleared space is never acceptable.

I think what makes things even more frustrating for the individual who shoveled the parking space is the giant wall of frozen slush generated by snowplows that also needs to be dug through.  That is not something I ever experienced while living in DC; if the snow got that high, the car would probably just need to sit there until it melted.

kphoger

Quote from: abefroman329 on November 27, 2018, 03:23:22 PM
I agree that vandalism of cars that "stole" a cleared space is never acceptable.

I think what makes things even more frustrating for the individual who shoveled the parking space is the giant wall of frozen slush generated by snowplows that also needs to be dug through.  That is not something I ever experienced while living in DC; if the snow got that high, the car would probably just need to sit there until it melted.

I grew up in a small town with very wide streets.  After heavy snowfalls, the snow trucks used to run the main streets with their plows angled toward the middle of the street instead of the edge.  Business entrances stayed clear that way, but turning left was always an adventure.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

Quote from: kphoger on November 27, 2018, 03:36:45 PM

I grew up in a small town with very wide streets.  After heavy snowfalls, the snow trucks used to run the main streets with their plows angled toward the middle of the street instead of the edge.  Business entrances stayed clear that way, but turning left was always an adventure.

I'm interested in seeing how VDOT plows the street into and out of our neighborhood this winter if we get enough snow for it to be necessary. The road was repaved this summer and received bike lanes as part of the project. It'll be interesting to see whether the bike lanes get plowed or whether the plows use them as the space for the wall of frozen stuff abefroman329 mentions. (In this picture, the SUV is illegally parked in the bike lane. At the spot where I was standing, the other side of the road is configured differently and has a parking lane between the bike lane and the curb, but the side where I was standing doesn't have the parking lane until up ahead there.)

GaryV

Quote from: ET21 on November 27, 2018, 03:08:04 PM
If I ever live in Chicago, I'll pay extra $ to have a reserved spot

How many extra $?  I've seen reports of condos with the option of parking being priced $25k or even $50k more.

hotdogPi

Quote from: roadman on November 27, 2018, 02:17:02 PM
What?  You live in Eastern Massachusetts and you've never heard of the space saver?  I'm surprised.

It's nonexistent where I live. Maybe it's different in Boston proper.

By the way, I misinterpreted the OP. I thought it was about spaces in parking lots, and I thought the "furniture and other junk" was there due to neglect.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

hbelkins

Don't live somewhere that you have to rely on street parking and not have your own private place to park your car.

We had an issue a few years ago where we were repaving a one-way city street in one of our towns that is a state-maintained highway. We had to have the street completely cleared of vehicles before milling and paving could begin. I don't know where the street parkers ended up parking their cars, and I also don't remember if we had to have any of the cars towed or not. I certainly wouldn't want to live somewhere that forced me to park on the street and I didn't have my own driveway.

But unless local law allows for reserving spaces on streets for owners/occupants of certain houses, I can't see how this practice could even be considered acceptable. Common courtesy might dictate that you don't park in a spot that someone else cleared, but how is that enforceable?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Quote from: hbelkins on November 27, 2018, 05:27:11 PM
But unless local law allows for reserving spaces on streets for owners/occupants of certain houses, I can't see how this practice could even be considered acceptable. Common courtesy might dictate that you don't park in a spot that someone else cleared, but how is that enforceable?

It's apparently enforced by vandalism.
Male pronouns, please.

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on November 27, 2018, 03:36:45 PM

Yeah, you couldn't do that here and still have two clear lanes (one in each direction).

But, as they would remind us in DC during one of the blizzards, the snowplows plow streets to make sure emergency vehicles can get around, not so private citizens can drive their cars around.

Brandon

Quote from: 1 on November 27, 2018, 04:56:09 PM
Quote from: roadman on November 27, 2018, 02:17:02 PM

It's nonexistent where I live. Maybe it's different in Boston proper.

By the way, I misinterpreted the OP. I thought it was about spaces in parking lots, and I thought the "furniture and other junk" was there due to neglect.

Nope, not neglect at all.
http://chicagodibs.tumblr.com/
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

1995hoo

Or there was the time Cartman tried to call dibs on a toilet:

(The scene continues with him putting on a bow, going to the girls' restroom, and announcing he's "transginger"  and exercising his right to identify with the sex of his choice. He then proceeds to take a dump in the girls' restroom.)

abefroman329

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 27, 2018, 06:18:03 PM

Or there was the time Cartman tried to call dibs on a toilet:

(The scene continues with him putting on a bow, going to the girls' restroom, and announcing he's "transginger"  and exercising his right to identify with the sex of his choice. He then proceeds to take a dump in the girls' restroom.)
Did they ever explain why Butters drops his pants and underwear to the floor when he's at the urinal?

1995hoo

Not that I recall. Butters does take off his pants and underwear when he takes a dump, but that's because he sits facing the wall, using the toilet tank as a shelf for his book.

abefroman329

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 27, 2018, 06:30:40 PM
Not that I recall. Butters does take off his pants and underwear when he takes a dump, but that's because he sits facing the wall, using the toilet tank as a shelf for his book.
Jesus Christ.

I remember he drops trou at the urinal when Cartman is a hall monitor/Dog the Bounty Hunter. He also sings a song, something like "hello Mr. Weiner, whaddya say."

kphoger

Quote from: abefroman329 on November 27, 2018, 06:25:10 PM
Did they ever explain why Butters drops his pants and underwear to the floor when he's at the urinal?

I vividly remember a classmate in kindergarten trying to get me in trouble for pulling my pants all the way down to my ankles to use the urinal (that's just the way I did things).  When we came out of the bathroom, he announced my terrible behavior to the teacher.  The teacher didn't care.

This is now getting into bandit957 territory...
Male pronouns, please.

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on November 27, 2018, 06:59:47 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on November 27, 2018, 06:25:10 PM

I vividly remember a classmate in kindergarten trying to get me in trouble for pulling my pants all the way down to my ankles to use the urinal (that's just the way I did things).  When we came out of the bathroom, he announced my terrible behavior to the teacher.  The teacher didn't care.

This is now getting into bandit957 territory...
Not unless one or both of you were bubbling at the time.

kphoger

or roads scholaring
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.