News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Where will be the newest major city?

Started by MantyMadTown, August 07, 2018, 10:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SP Cook

Quote from: hbelkins on August 08, 2018, 10:06:03 PM
Charlotte has an Atlanta inferiority complex.

The difference between Charlotte and Atlanta is that Charlotte is a big city in the South and Atlanta is a big city surrounded by the South. 

As to the OP question, it does to a great degree depend on definitions.  City or a city and its suburbs; so on.

As to cities that are going to get larger in the next generation, Las Vegas, SLC, several other places in the Mountain West, southwest Florida (I-75 south of Tampa Bay), north central Florida (north of Orlando but just not close enough to be considered Orlando). 

Beltway

Quote from: SP Cook on August 09, 2018, 12:00:48 PM
The difference between Charlotte and Atlanta is that Charlotte is a big city in the South and Atlanta is a big city surrounded by the South. 

Massive population size difference, Charlotte MSA is 2.4 million and Atlanta MSA is 6.2 million.  Atlanta had a massive urban freeway system and circumferential and regional freeway from the 1970s, which has been greatly widened, and they have a regional heavy rail metro system.

6.2 million MSA is in the range of Washington, D.C. MSA.

http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

index

Quote from: 1 on August 08, 2018, 05:09:53 AM
Charlotte, NC is already major by population figures, but people don't treat it as if it was one; it gets talked about in general conversation a lot less than other major cities.

I think we'll get there (being talked about) one of these days. We were pretty minor as cities go for most of our existence, being mostly more of a regional, not-as-important hub, then we started expanding in nearly every area out of nowhere. I was reading an article the other day that likened Charlotte to an "awkward teenager" growing up to position itself among the "adult" cities between it like Atlanta and Washington.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

Road Hog

Austin and San Antonio are growing toward each other and in another 30 years will be essentially one giant conurbation.

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

LM117

FTFY. You should check out the "North Carolina development thread"  on City-Data forum, which has basically become a Charlotte circlejerk. The majority of the posts are about Charlotte and usually when someone posts something that's happening elsewhere in the state, Charlotte's fan club comes out in force and basically says "hey, we got one too and here's why it's bigger & better and everyone should know about it!" . :banghead:

Here's a prime example. I posted NCDOT's announcement regarding the future CSX intermodal terminal in Rocky Mount in that thread. Read the first post that comes after mine:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-carolina/2827489-north-carolina-development-thread-89.html#post52334451

It's sad and comical that Charlotte's fan club felt the need to have a dick-measuring contest with rural eastern NC. :meh:

I don't have anything against the city itself, but some of it's boosters are annoying as hell.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

bing101

Quote from: Road Hog on August 12, 2018, 02:11:24 AM
Austin and San Antonio are growing toward each other and in another 30 years will be essentially one giant conurbation.

Are there cities and counties in Texas where they have to cater to both Austin and San Antonio Commuters at the same time? Well in another thread I mentioned that Temecula once had the fastest population growth in Southern California because they had to market their housing to both San Diego and Los Angeles commuters at the same time? What is the cost of living standards in Austin and San Antonio though and how many are being priced out of these places.

mrsman

Quote from: bing101 on August 12, 2018, 05:24:08 PM

Are there cities and counties in Texas where they have to cater to both Austin and San Antonio Commuters at the same time? Well in another thread I mentioned that Temecula once had the fastest population growth in Southern California because they had to market their housing to both San Diego and Los Angeles commuters at the same time? What is the cost of living standards in Austin and San Antonio though and how many are being priced out of these places.
There are lots of areas where two big cities are relatively close and some suburb can serve as a commuting location to both.  Ideal where h works in one City and w works in the other.  Most of the MD suburbs of DC that are reasonably close to 95 serve in that capacity for Baltimore and DC.

Nexus 5X

ilpt4u

Quote from: mrsman on August 12, 2018, 06:19:51 PM

There are lots of areas where two big cities are relatively close and some suburb can serve as a commuting location to both.  Ideal where h works in one City and w works in the other.  Most of the MD suburbs of DC that are reasonably close to 95 serve in that capacity for Baltimore and DC.

Nexus 5X
State of New Jersey
State of Connecticut
Kenosha, WI
Lakeland, FL

bing101

http://fortune.com/2018/04/11/philippines-new-clark-city/

In the Philippines there have been talks to decentralize Manila and form a new economic hub in Clark Philippines and make it a new major city in that country for some time though.

bing101

Quote from: ilpt4u on August 12, 2018, 11:34:36 PM

Nexus 5X
State of New Jersey
State of Connecticut
Kenosha, WI
Lakeland, FL

https://solanoedc.org/data-center/data/labor-force

https://solanoedc.org/data-center/data/demographics/

And yes Solano County, CA should be on this list for being the commuter county of Sacramento and San Francisco has mentioned in this economic development report.

Tonytone

Wilmington, De. It is being reinvented & new companies are moving in.

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

Road Hog

Nexus 5X
This is done on a smaller scale all the time, never mind proximity to a major city. Shoot, we picked the little town we're in now because it was halfway between where we worked – about 25 miles either way.

MantyMadTown

I see a lot of examples of cities popping up because of their location in between two major urban areas. This is why we really need to promote transit networks that serve commuters between the two regions.

Quote from: Tonytone on November 25, 2018, 11:11:56 PM

iPhone

Do you think it's gonna become as big as Philly or DC/Baltimore?
Forget the I-41 haters

Tonytone

Quote from: MantyMadTown on November 26, 2018, 12:58:01 AM
I see a lot of examples of cities popping up because of their location in between two major urban areas. This is why we really need to promote transit networks that serve commuters between the two regions.

Quote from: Tonytone on November 25, 2018, 11:11:56 PM

iPhone

Do you think it's gonna become as big as Philly or DC/Baltimore?
New castle county has a population of 559,793, including wilmington, if the city keeps moving south, as more areas are becoming urban & less suburban & rural, I could see it happening in the next 40-80 years.

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

bing101

Quote from: texaskdog on August 07, 2018, 11:49:36 PM
Quote from: bing101 on August 07, 2018, 11:27:14 PM
Austin, TX was discussed at one point though to become the newest major city given that I heard of that area getting former California Residents at one point.

Yes, way too many of them.  Figured Austin was already major though.  I say Salt Lake City.

I heard the hype of Austin, TX is basically if San Francisco, Berkeley, Davis and Sacramento moved to one area within a red state.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austin,_Texas

Interestingly as of this Wikipedia post its the same size as San Jose as of 2018.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Paso,_Texas

How About El Paso, TX it has to be in the running for Newest major city in the USA.

The Nature Boy

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on August 08, 2018, 02:06:08 PM
Isn't a lot of the "growth" in these cities simply the result of the city expanding geographically through the annexation of unincorporated suburbs? That definitely seems to be a sunbelt thing, as I don't know of any annexations in the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic.

IMO a better measure of a city's size is the size of its metropolitan area. The Sunbelt cities stack the top of the population totals by just annexing everything around it. If DC could be as liberal and annex Arlington and Arlington, it would have a population of just over 1 million and would jump into the top 10 in city populations.

The square mileage of some of these Sunbelt cities is just obscene.

silverback1065

Quote from: MantyMadTown on August 08, 2018, 01:09:20 AM
Quote from: Rothman on August 08, 2018, 12:09:54 AM
Salt Lake's MSA already has over a million people while the city has under 200,000.

Salt Lake proper has become quite a hollow city, only being saved by a whole lot of investment in the downtown by the LDS Church.  Just six blocks out of downtown (6th South) and it isn't pretty.

You know I bet SLC is becoming a big hub for lots of companies and people to move to!

SLC is boring af

US 89

Quote from: silverback1065 on November 27, 2018, 01:45:45 PM
Quote from: MantyMadTown on August 08, 2018, 01:09:20 AM
Quote from: Rothman on August 08, 2018, 12:09:54 AM
Salt Lake's MSA already has over a million people while the city has under 200,000.

Salt Lake proper has become quite a hollow city, only being saved by a whole lot of investment in the downtown by the LDS Church.  Just six blocks out of downtown (6th South) and it isn't pretty.

You know I bet SLC is becoming a big hub for lots of companies and people to move to!

SLC is boring af

Clearly, you haven't been downtown in the last ten years. Yeah, the Mormons funded a lot of the most recent development like City Creek, but there's more than just that. There is significant growth in the Salt Lake area, and a lot of it is tech-related. In fact, the area is known as Silicon Slopes, although that tends to be centered more towards the Draper/Lehi area to the south. There's a whole lot of banking activity in downtown as well; I know Goldman Sachs has a major operation downtown, for example.

The areas to the immediate south and west of downtown aren't the greatest, but all cities have their good and bad areas. And for what it's worth, the 2017 census estimates the population of the city proper at 200,544.

I've stated this before, but I don't think the MSA is a good way to describe Salt Lake City either, because you run into the issue of whether Provo and Ogden should be considered different metropolitan areas. The census says yes, and because MSAs are defined by county, that leaves out a lot of people in Davis and Utah Counties who commute to SLC and would otherwise be included in the metro. If you take the Salt Lake-Ogden-Provo CSA, you get a population of 2,559,350 which makes it the 23rd-largest CSA in the country. It's also one of the fastest-growing areas in the US today.

kphoger

Quote from: US 89 on November 27, 2018, 05:45:08 PM

SLC is boring af

... tech-related ... banking activity ...

I don't mean to offend–I've only been to SLC once, and that was probably 25 years ago for a wedding on Halloween–but those two things you mentioned don't really sound all that un-boring.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

abefroman329

I didn't find SLC to be any more or less boring than any other, similarly-sized city. They seem to have eliminated the blue laws forbidding people from walking into a bar and ordering a drink. And I quite enjoyed the organ recital at the Tabernacle I attended.

Rothman

Quote from: kphoger on November 27, 2018, 06:55:34 PM
Quote from: US 89 on November 27, 2018, 05:45:08 PM

SLC is boring af

... tech-related ... banking activity ...

I don't mean to offend–I've only been to SLC once, and that was probably 25 years ago for a wedding on Halloween–but those two things you mentioned don't really sound all that un-boring.
I was about to say the same thing and referring to the entire SLC metro area (all the way to oh--so-exotic Draper?) doesn't make SLC that much more alluring.

Last thing I did for entertainment in SLC was catch a lousy comedy show somewhere right downtown.  Reminded me of President Kimball's (Mormon leader's) sermon about how befuddled he was at the lack of decent Mormon artistry.  Well, when your religion and Utah culture has a very narrow view of what is acceptable for entertainment, you end up with tired crap.  I mean, Studio C has had its moments -- its very few moments -- but how much of that sitcommy crap can one tolerate?

Also reminds me of the old joke about what a Utahn will say when you ask them what there is to do in the area: "Well, within a day's drive you can..."  Scary thing is that I have heard that actual line from native Utahns on my trips out there to visit family!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

silverback1065

was there in September, place was boring af.  phoenix is worse though.

Brandon

Quote from: abefroman329 on November 27, 2018, 07:04:50 PM
I didn't find SLC to be any more or less boring than any other, similarly-sized city. They seem to have eliminated the blue laws forbidding people from walking into a bar and ordering a drink. And I quite enjoyed the organ recital at the Tabernacle I attended.

That used to be a strange quirk in Utah.  You had to belong to a "club" in order to get an alcoholic drink.  It turned into a bit of a joke, even in the early 70s (when my parents were out there for a couple of years).  The club was free and the cards were handed out in the restaurant when you ordered the drink.

To this day; however, Utah still has some interesting liquor laws, and is the only place caffeine free cola outsells regular cola.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_laws_of_Utah
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Rothman

Quote from: silverback1065 on November 28, 2018, 09:25:19 AM
was there in September, place was boring af.  phoenix is worse though.
Hm.  I'd actually disagree there.  Phoenix is a "new" city and I've enjoyed my visits there.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.