News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Roadways below auto viaducts

Started by index, August 01, 2019, 05:26:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

In Baltimore, I-95 approaching the toll plaza at the Fort McHenry Tunnel runs over the Canton Viaduct, part of I-895 (Baltimore Harbor Tunnel Thruway), which in turn runs over a few streets and a large railroad yard.

I-95 above the Canton Viaduct

I-895 crossing the Canton Viaduct under I-95 (note that as I write this, the northbound lanes of the Canton Viaduct have been demolished and work has started to build a new structure - when it is ready, two lanes of traffic (one lane each way) will be moved to the new structure and the old southbound bridge will be demolished and replaced - GSV drove through here a month or two before the northbound lanes were closed and one lane was moved to the southbound side).

Ponca Street where it passes below I-895 and I-95

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

kurumi

Not exactly underneath -- it's offset a few feet -- but CT 67 has a "vertical overlap" under a segment of CT 8 freeway in Seymour: https://goo.gl/maps/xerfxAh1cXbfVTGy7. Look for the railway going over CT 67 and under CT 8.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

SteveG1988

Not sure if it will reopen, a one way road under the approach to the burlington bristol bridge in burlington NJ. They're doing work to the bridge so it is unusable for now at least.Not sure if it counts though, but...yeah it's a viaduct approach to the first over-river truss.

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

bandit957

Cincinnati has some examples. East 3rd under US 50, West 8th under the 8th Street Viaduct, etc.

I think multistoried cities are going to have to be the wave of the future, simply because of the housing crisis.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

bing101

I know in the past Pinoy Joyride showed that there were streets that run under the Manila Skyway and parts of South Luzon Expressway though.

TheStranger

Quote from: bing101 on August 06, 2019, 04:59:16 PM

I know in the past Pinoy Joyride showed that there were streets that run under the Manila Skyway and parts of South Luzon Expressway though.

Osmena Highway (formerly South Superhighway) is the surface street/boulevard that runs underneath the Skyway from just past EDSA to Quirino Avenue.  Prior to 2014 or so it was the only road running north of the Magallanes Interchange but the Skyway has gradually been built atop it, with the entire street now running underneath.

South of EDSA, the South Luzon Expressway runs underneath or adjacent to the Metro Manila Skyway between there and the Skyway's terminus near Alabang Town Center in Muntinlupa, with the service roads and Manila South Road as a frontage for those who cannot afford either of the aforementioned tollways.  I remember taking a Grab car ride from the Ortigas Center complex (specifically in Pasig) to Paranaque in late March and it struck me how many jeepneys were stuck at near-standstill pace along the east service road even at 1:30 AM.
Chris Sampang

Henry

Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Chris19001

kphoger

Quote from: Henry on August 07, 2019, 10:03:22 AM
In Chicago, Archer Avenue runs under not one, but two expressways.

Archer Avenue under the Stevenson

Archer Avenue under the Dan Ryan

Those are just a road being crossed by highway bridges–not "running" under viaducts.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: jakeroot on August 04, 2019, 02:32:33 AM
The Front Street Parkade in New Westminster, BC, sits on top of Front Street. Technically a viaduct, I believe.

https://goo.gl/maps/bC2w4GrwnHDs2oc56

Seen in such films as I, Robot (Will Smith running after robot with the purse), and Godzilla (2014 -- abandoned city of Janjira).

Partly demolished a few years ago, other half still standing. No plans to take down the rest.

Also a scene in Rumble in the Bronx.  I always wondered where that scene was filmed, and I was just in New Westminster a few months ago.

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Rothman

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 23, 2019, 06:22:23 AM
Quote from: NE2 on August 01, 2019, 07:59:00 PM
http://www.google.com/maps/@40.8206784,-73.9584244,3a,90y,161.31h,79.94t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sQCAIcz9CdPHwcT6-DTu4sA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Those steel archways are gorgeous. Too bad we don't build infrastructure like that anymore.
Trusses are more expensive to maintain.  Truss bridges cause a lot of groaning at DOTs because of this.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Beltway

http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Evan_Th

Another example in Seattle:  6th Ave NE under I-5 just north of the Ship Canal, at the north end of the Ship Canal Bridge.

jakeroot

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on August 23, 2019, 01:21:54 AM
The Front Street Parkade in New Westminster, BC, sits on top of Front Street. Technically a viaduct, I believe.

Seen in such films as I, Robot (Will Smith running after robot with the purse), and Godzilla (2014 -- abandoned city of Janjira).

Partly demolished a few years ago, other half still standing. No plans to take down the rest.

Also a scene in Rumble in the Bronx.  I always wondered where that scene was filmed, and I was just in New Westminster a few months ago.

Oh crap, no kidding? I love spotting film locations for that movie. I never noticed. All those NYC mountains...

ErmineNotyours

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: jakeroot on August 24, 2019, 02:18:49 AM
Quote from: ErmineNotyours on August 23, 2019, 01:21:54 AM

Oh crap, no kidding? I love spotting film locations for that movie. I never noticed. All those NYC mountains...

Jackie Chan's uncle's window was here, distinctive by those two narrow windows next to it.  There was a fire escape in the movie.  Pan to the right and that's the bridge they dangled the money from when the two women were racing by driving over parked cars on the street.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.