News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Whats up with all these hurricanes?

Started by Roadgeekteen, September 08, 2017, 11:34:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

Many old people do not want to evacuate their homes for Irma. Disney World has also closed. And, Joise is coming!
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

ET21

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on September 10, 2017, 12:53:22 AM
Many old people do not want to evacuate their homes for Irma. Disney World has also closed. And, Joise is coming!

Jose is still a week away from really affecting anyone in the US. It'll be spinning about in the Atlantic much of this week.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

kalvado

Quote from: Rothman on September 09, 2017, 11:23:01 PM
Fracking has caused little rumbles.
Good point. I was thinking more about strong quakes, caused by plate activity, tectonic motion etc - and Oklahoma is not in that situation.
As for weaker ones... I remember we had a "quake" - low level signal - due to a planned explosion in a quarry few hundred miles away...

empirestate

Quote from: ET21 on September 11, 2017, 10:19:29 AM

Jose is still a week away from really affecting anyone in the US.

It already is. Effects from Jose are contributing to the severity of flooding in Jacksonville and points north.

CNGL-Leudimin

I remember 2005. There was Katrina, and then I remember most of the later storms: Rita, Stan, (missed Tammy and that subtropical storm the NHC also missed), the weird hurricane Vince which went to make landfall in... Spain!, then Wilma and the end of the list, so they started using greek letters: α, β, γ, another weird storm "named" δ which hit the Canaries as it became extratropical, and hurricane ε which for some years I thought it was the last storm of the 2005 season until I started to track tropical cyclones and discovered there was yet another storm, ζ! Luckily the year ended with that storm still active, since the next one would have been η, and I wouldn't have liked to see a storm named ETA (This also explains why I ask to refrain from abbreviating both "Estimated Time of Arrival" and "Edited To Add"). 2006 turned out to be the anticlimax, but I remember Gordon.

However other basins have had crazy seasons on other years. 2013 was dull in the Atlantic, and also started slow in the Western Pacific, but from September through November it went really crazy, culminating with typhoon Haiyan and the late tropical storm that follows the big one, Podul (or "Beodeul" as I spell it, since it's a North Korean name and I apply my "One language, one translliteration" policy). The only downside is that Philippines didn't got to use it's auxiliary list (with more names, not Greek letters), they exhausted their main one (Haiyan was Yolanda, Beodeul was Zoraida, had they named another depression it would have been Alamid. Coincidentally they are using that same list this year, with Yasmin in place of Yolanda).
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

MNHighwayMan

I was only 13 in 2005, but I'll always remember storms Epsilon and Zeta because of this XKCD comic.

empirestate

Among the celebrity birthdays I share are Hurricanes Katrina and Harvey (both making their first U.S. landfall on August 25th).

adventurernumber1

Quote from: empirestate on September 11, 2017, 07:00:22 PM
Among the celebrity birthdays I share are Hurricanes Katrina and Harvey (both making their first U.S. landfall on August 25th).

Wow, that's crazy.

Another weather-birthday coincidence is that my father's birthday is on April 3rd, and on that very day that he was celebrating his 5th birthday, was in the midst of the massive April 1974 tornado outbreak. My grandparents tell the story often that it was in the middle of the afternoon and my dad was opening his birthday presents and such, but the sky was as dark and eerie as night. Just a few miles away on the other side of Dalton, GA (where I live now, too) there was a tornado that completely leveled my great aunt's house (grandmother's sister) out in the country. There is actually video footage of that on home videos that I have been able to see. My dad and his family rode out all the storms after the birthday party in another great aunt's house close by that had a basement.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

ET21

Quote from: empirestate on September 11, 2017, 04:35:04 PM

It already is. Effects from Jose are contributing to the severity of flooding in Jacksonville and points north.

How? The storm is quite a bit aways, and outside of maybe some surf and rip current risk it shouldn't really be affecting the flooding in Jacksonville. Looks like Irma did much of the damage on top of the high tide influence. If anything, an increased flood threat from Jose surf would be concerning starting around Thursday or Friday when it gets closer to the coastline

Clinched:

empirestate

Quote from: ET21 on September 12, 2017, 08:24:08 AM

How? The storm is quite a bit aways, and outside of maybe some surf and rip current risk it shouldn't really be affecting the flooding in Jacksonville. Looks like Irma did much of the damage on top of the high tide influence. If anything, an increased flood threat from Jose surf would be concerning starting around Thursday or Friday when it gets closer to the coastline

Simply put, I gather its winds are pushing the Atlantic towards that part of the coast, hindering the St Johns River's attempt to drain into it.

ET21

Quote from: empirestate on September 12, 2017, 10:56:49 AM

Simply put, I gather its winds are pushing the Atlantic towards that part of the coast, hindering the St Johns River's attempt to drain into it.

That could be, high tide going against draining rainwater. It'll be interesting then towards the weekend when Jose is a little closer offshore to see the tidal effects

Clinched:

jwolfer

Quote from: ET21 on September 12, 2017, 11:17:38 AM

That could be, high tide going against draining rainwater. It'll be interesting then towards the weekend when Jose is a little closer offshore to see the tidal effects
Thwre was a stationary front over northern Florida before Irma.  There was a lot of rain from that, coupled with the wind keeping St Johns River from draining into Atlantic.

St Johns River is tidal  all the way to at least Palatka. Its a very slow moving to begin with.. Water sloshes around in the lower basin.

LGMS428

empirestate

Quote from: jwolfer on September 12, 2017, 03:13:52 PM
Quote from: ET21 on September 12, 2017, 11:17:38 AM

Thwre was a statio ary front over northern florida before Irma.  There was a lot of rain from that, coupled with the wind keeping St Johns River from draining into Atlantic.

St Johns River is tidal more all the way to at least Palatka. Its a very slow moving to begin with.. Water sloshes around in the lower basin.

Point being, it's not jut one thing (if it were, this would have been predicted with precision). But point also being, "effects from Jose are contributing..."

jeffandnicole

Nate is entering post-tropical status...the National Hurricane Center has stopped providing updates for the storm. What remains of the storm should be entering Canada late Monday night/Early Tuesday morning.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 08, 2017, 08:09:04 PM
Nate is entering post-tropical status...the National Hurricane Center has stopped providing updates for the storm. What remains of the storm should be entering Canada late Monday night/Early Tuesday morning.
Nate will make my area rain tomarow.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.