News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

What do you think of snow?

Started by Roadgeekteen, December 13, 2017, 05:45:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

?

I love it!
9 (42.9%)
I love it so much that I spend all my free time in it
1 (4.8%)
I like it a bit
7 (33.3%)
I am indifferent
0 (0%)
It causes me minor inconvenience
1 (4.8%)
I do not like it
0 (0%)
I hate it
3 (14.3%)
I wish that it woul all met
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Roadgeekteen

In honor of the first snow in my area.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Truvelo

It's nice the first day or so. After that it becomes a nuisance.
Speed limits limit life

kphoger

I voted "I love it!"

Nobody should vote "I wish that it woul all met," because spelling matters.

I love huge snowfalls, where it's hard to even get around.  However, I dislike nearly everything else about winter:  it's dark when I have to get up, I get dry skin, it's usually too cold for my liking.  If it could be warm and the sun be up for 14 hours a day but still have snowstorms, then I'd be pleased as punc
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jp the roadgeek

I love it...as long as it stays over the ski resorts and out of my yard.  I'm the type that would love it to snow about 2 or 3 inches on Christmas Eve, have it be around for Christmas morning, then have a warm front come through and it warms up to 75 degrees at noon and it all melts.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Hurricane Rex

As much as possible for me. I love the snow probably too much.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

CtrlAltDel

I like looking at it from the comfort of my home for about five minutes once a year. Past that, I would much prefer to live without it.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Road Hog

Where I live we get on average one good snow a year (that is, enough to shut down schools if on a school day) and that's plenty enough for me.

english si

Quote from: Truvelo on December 13, 2017, 05:59:16 PM
The problem is when it melts and re-freezes, like I've had to put up with the past few days (the rain has mostly melted it now). Lots of snow Sunday, a bit more Monday, but the worst day on the roads and paths was Tuesday.

Max Rockatansky

Its nice to go visit up in Yosemite or somewhere in the Sierras on a clear day but that's it.  Personally winter is my least favorite season due to the lack of sunlight and generally unpleasant conditions.  Here in California it can be constant snow in the mountains or rain on infrastructure that can no longer handle it in lower elevations.  I grew up in Michigan, Illinois, and Connecticut so at the time I loathed everything about winter in general.  Nothing is fun about getting up at 7 AM in the dark and getting home at 4 PM in the dark just to shovel snow out of your driveway. 

kphoger

Quote from: english si on December 14, 2017, 04:48:07 AM
Quote from: Truvelo on December 13, 2017, 05:59:16 PM
The problem is when it melts and re-freezes, like I've had to put up with the past few days (the rain has mostly melted it now). Lots of snow Sunday, a bit more Monday, but the worst day on the roads and paths was Tuesday.

Go to Chicago.  It can snow 10 inches, then just barely get above freezing at all for the next four weeks.  Just enough so that the black nastiness from exhaust pipes can become a hard surface on top of the half-frozen snow.  Half the city ends up in a black glass-like substance for a while.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Roadgeekteen

Do you know what I hate more than snow? Ice! I hate having to be careful while just walking on the ground.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

jeffandnicole

Snow makes me money, so of course I love it!

Roadgeekteen

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 14, 2017, 09:32:35 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 14, 2017, 09:22:28 PM
What is your job?

Illicit Snow Dealer.  Did you know is worth $50 dollars a kilo on the streets these days?

wxfree

I like to walk in in while it's falling.  I love it when it's fresh.  Around here, in the DFW area, a lot of people just stay home after snow.  It doesn't get plowed or torn up by cars quickly on side roads, so it's often pretty for most of the morning.  Mostly we get slushy snow, which is pretty when it's fresh, but it gets torn up and ugly when people drive on it.  Unless it's deep, cars pretty quickly wear tracks down to the pavement on busy roads.  I remember only one time when we got powdery snow, when the temperature was about 10 all day.  It packed down on the roads instead of forming tracks.  That day was also the only time I've seen snow chains, which were used on the drive wheels of a large truck.  Around here, it's rare enough to be enjoyed.  Just about every snowfall we get is the first one of the season.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

index

Snow is a rare occurrence in the South. Here, it happens usually twice per year, so a lot of us down here either love it and cherish every second of it or hate it. For me, I love it. Walking in the snow at night is nice (really any time of the day is also nice) and watching it fall in the glow of a sodium streetlamp is also nice.

It's also nice that school closes because then I get to enjoy said rare occurrence. The cats I've had over the years have also loved it.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

Desert Man

If I want to be in the snow, I go 30 miles to the mountains near Palm Springs, esp. the top of the aerial tramway, the area in Mount San Jacinto state park at 8,600 some feet (above sea level), a winter wonderland in the warm climate of Southern California.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

jeffandnicole

What is your job?

I help NJDOT drive the plow/salt trucks in the winter on an as-needed bases.  And NJ is a little too quick to call their snow crews in, and probably keeps them on longer than needbe, so it's pretty decent money making opportunity for those that work with or for NJDOT.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 15, 2017, 12:03:32 AM
Illicit Snow Dealer.  Did you know is worth $50 dollars a kilo on the streets these days?

It's all pure.  Good stuff!

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 15, 2017, 08:23:47 AM
What is your job?

Hopefully its the kind you can snort and not the stuff you have to boil down first.  I had some "Pure Michigan" snow a couple years back and I was sorely disappointed.  This wouldn't happen to be some of that famous "White Magic" that I've heard so much about?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 15, 2017, 09:03:51 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 15, 2017, 08:23:47 AM
What is your job?

Hopefully its the kind you can snort and not the stuff you have to boil down first.  I had some "Pure Michigan" snow a couple years back and I was sorely disappointed.  This wouldn't happen to be some of that famous "White Magic" that I've heard so much about?

What are you? A cop? I got a guy down the corner callin' me. It's $50 bux. You want it or not bud?

Brandon

Have to say I rather like snow.  Then again, having gone to college where they get 210-220 inches of it per season does give you a lot of it:bigass:
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Interstate 69 Fan

I love it!

Being a meteorologist myself, I always have loved snow. I always hope when it snows that there is not a cloud in the sky, so I can go outside and see the snow sparkle in the sunlight. So far, we've gotten snow to stick one day so far, and there were clouds then. Let's hope January fills my promise!
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

english si

Quote from: kphoger on December 14, 2017, 11:41:20 AMGo to Chicago.  It can snow 10 inches, then just barely get above freezing at all for the next four weeks.
We had that Sunday-Monday-Tuesday, but with it getting above freezing enough for just long enough that it all turned into ice when the temperature dropped again.
QuoteJust enough so that the black nastiness from exhaust pipes can become a hard surface on top of the half-frozen snow.  Half the city ends up in a black glass-like substance for a while.
That was us Monday, Tuesday (especially bad as little had been melted away, and not much had been cleared), Wednesday and Thursday.

Note that we also didn't really have time to clear it before it became black ice, unlike if most of it stayed snow for 4 weeks.

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on December 15, 2017, 09:41:31 AM
Being a meteorologist myself...

Just curious where at because I want to be one as well.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 15, 2017, 09:03:51 AM
the stuff you have to boil down first.

That reminds me of the time I caught a flight out of O'Hare the morning after 10 inches of snow fell on Chicago.  I got to see them plowing snow off the runways into what was basically a huge fire pot to melt it all.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.