News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Favorite Games

Started by webny99, March 08, 2021, 05:58:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

formulanone

Quote from: kphoger on March 09, 2021, 11:31:25 AM
Quote from: formulanone on March 08, 2021, 07:20:40 PM
I'm actually terrible at Uno, but the kids love it. We play either the "one card draw" method, or we have a randomizer which spits out between 0-4 cards at a button press.

We've found most rounds go on a little too long for "keep drawing until you can play something" version (which I don't recall in the rules but seems to be the most popular).

I'm a real stickler about going by the original rules (or at least the very first revision of them).  Draw only one card.  No stacking action cards.  There does exist one ambiguity in the original rules:  If you play a Wild Draw Four illegally, and another player calls you out on it and makes you draw cards, does your Wild Draw Four still stand?  In our house rules, the answer is yes, but I'm not opposed if you say it shouldn't stand.

I only learned about the Challenge rule last year, when we got the randomizer. We've always just kept the announced color going, to preserve sanity (after all, if they'd been caught bluffing, it doesn't really matter so much).

When we used to play for points 30-35 years ago, I thought I was pretty good; but few folks want to break out a scoring pad, they just want to get onto the next game.

I also like dominos.  My favorite dominos game is Chicken Foot.

We play that one too; we use scoring (each dot [pip] is a point and you want the fewest number overall) but I wonder if the dynamic changes much by taking away the scoring, and just go for absolute wins. Everyone is very patient while we tally up the scores, but nobody seems to care much if we want to try it for Uno. Playing all 13 rounds with a Double-12 set takes about 5 hours, so it's usually spread out over two weekends.

So far, I have yet to get a "chicken foot" or "chicken leg" right out of the box.

I also like the basic game, best played with 3-4 and a double-six set with spinner pins on a table that isn't fancy.

kphoger

Quote from: formulanone on March 09, 2021, 01:08:27 PM

Quote from: kphoger on March 09, 2021, 11:31:25 AM
I also like dominos.  My favorite dominos game is Chicken Foot.

We play that one too; we use scoring (each dot [pip] is a point and you want the fewest number overall) but I wonder if the dynamic changes much by taking away the scoring, and just go for absolute wins. Playing all 13 rounds takes about 5 hours, so it's usually spread out over two weekends.

Oh, you forgot one key part of the scoring:  a double-blank is 50 points.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

Quote from: 1 on March 09, 2021, 07:21:55 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on March 08, 2021, 11:03:53 PM
For instance, I've found I really don't like card games that involve a hand-size limit. This enforces a use-it-or-lose-it sort of play style on the players, and having to choose a card or action I have to discard, or forcing me to play a card at a suboptimal time, stresses me out. I'd much rather play a game where I can hang onto that until the right time to play it presents itself.

What about a game like Magic, where there's a limit of 7 (unless a card changes it), but it's rare to go above that number (and if you do, you probably have some unusable cards in your hand)?

That's better, but it still bothers me, because there's a chance that the unusable cards will become usable in latter stages of the hand, and I will be wishing I had been able to keep them.

I have never really been into MTG or other CCGs because much of being good at the game involves being either lucky or rich enough to get the right cards to add to your deck.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 09, 2021, 03:17:12 PM
I have never really been into MTG or other CCGs because much of being good at the game involves being either lucky or rich enough to get the right cards to add to your deck.

Yeah. Deck building seems to be half of the fun for people who enjoy playing those kinds of games.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Scott5114

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 09, 2021, 04:22:06 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on March 09, 2021, 03:17:12 PM

Yeah. Deck building seems to be half of the fun for people who enjoy playing those kinds of games.

Right, and I don't mind that. Building a deck that accomplishes whatever strategy you want could be really fun (and is why I like deck-builders like Dominion). The problem I have with CCGs is that you can't go on the Wizards of the Coast website and say, order 20 swamps, 5 of [insert monster here], and a couple [insert action card here]. Instead, you have to buy foil-wrapped booster packs with a couple dozen cards in them and hope a card that you want is in there. So if there's a rare card that makes your deck good you either have to buy hundreds of those packs and hope you get lucky, or go on eBay and pay an inflated price for it. And some of the very best cards have limited print runs, cause that makes WOTC more money.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 09, 2021, 07:48:13 PM
And some of the very best cards have limited print runs, cause that makes WOTC more money.

The best cards (specifically the Power Nine) have limited print runs because they're in the first set ever made, and they weren't expecting the game to be a huge hit, nor did they know those cards were extremely powerful, having nothing to compare it to. After the first set, they stopped printing them.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Scott5114

Have they really only taken 9 cards out of print in the whole time the game's been running? I thought it was far more frequent than that.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 09, 2021, 08:07:31 PM
Have they really only taken 9 cards out of print in the whole time the game's been running? I thought it was far more frequent than that.

Only about half of cards get reprinted. Sometimes it's because rules changes make them complicated, sometimes it's because they doesn't fit flavor purposes for the newer sets, quite often it's because they're not powerful enough (many of the earlier cards are bad because they were afraid of printing cards that were as powerful as the Power Nine and therefore would have to be banned in most formats), and sometimes they just haven't gotten to it yet.

Older cards can be used in some formats, but not others.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

webny99

Quote from: Rothman on March 08, 2021, 06:00:44 PMDutch Blitz.

Definitely the fastest game I've ever played. That makes it a lot of fun.

As for the loudest game I've ever played, well, that would have to be Pit.

OCGuy81

Cards Against Humanity especially if all involved parties have had some drinks

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on March 12, 2021, 09:48:01 PM

We don't even use the Bear or Bull card at all.  Just the commodity cards, a bell, and a lot of yelling.

Pit is the only indoor game during which I've seen someone body-block a clergyman.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on March 13, 2021, 01:55:34 PM
Quote from: webny99 on March 12, 2021, 09:48:01 PM

We don't even use the Bear or Bull card at all.  Just the commodity cards, a bell, and a lot of yelling.

Oh, the Bear and Bull cards are part of what makes it IMO. It takes the game to another level of excitement and frenzy (although you might not need that if you've got participants body-blocking each other even without those cards).

thspfc

I like Monopoly. Sure, it sucks when the dice don't roll the way you want them to. But there's more skill involved than people like to believe.

kevinb1994

Quote from: thspfc on March 13, 2021, 10:22:58 PM
I like Monopoly. Sure, it sucks when the dice don't roll the way you want them to. But there's more skill involved than people like to believe.
Yes and I've been to A.C. so I know which streets were the inspiration behind the names on the board itself.

tolbs17

I enjoy Monopoly, Sorry! Or the LIFE game. Brings back memories...

Roadgeekteen

I'm not really into board games but I like monopoly.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

tolbs17

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 14, 2021, 04:41:07 PM
I'm not really into board games but I like monopoly.
Same here. I used to play them when I was younger.

ilpt4u

No love for Spades around here, ehh?

I don't play it a lot, but its a fun game when you have a foursome that knows how to play

Euchre has been mentioned - thats a fun and quick game

Hearts is good fun, also

dlsterner

No love for Contract Bridge?

I've been a semi-serious player for 20-25 years.  I used to play a lot at organized tournaments (the "Duplicate" variation of Bridge) in the eastern US - at least until COVID-19 put a stop to gatherings like that.

A good part of my "Travel Mapping" route list came from travel to and from these tournaments LOL.

And as a kid, my family had an entire closet of board games - some classics (Monopoly, Life, Sorry), some a bit more obscure (Dealer's Choice, Masterpiece), some of the "Bookshelf" games (Acquire, Bazaar), and dozens whose names escape me right now.

Mr_Northside

Haven't played actual Monopoly in years...  Though I was introduced to Monopoly DEAL!, and have enjoyed many a game of that over the last few years.

I haven't really done any games since Covid shut everything down (Usually at least once a week I'd get together with some friends at a local brewpub for some games prior). 
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Scott5114

The dice not rolling the way that you want them to isn't the problem. The problem is that when you have two dice, probability dictates that the results fall on a bell curve, so that the result of a game is preordained if someone figures out the most frequently-visited spaces (jail) and sets up 7 spaces away from them (the oranges).

This mathematical phenomenon is why the number 7 is a key number in craps (it is the most likely outcome of rolling 2d6, followed by 6 and 8, then 5 and 9, and so on).

hotdogPi

1d12 won't help. It still follows a bell curve; the only difference is that it's over multiple turns instead of one.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50

ilpt4u

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 15, 2021, 07:24:31 PM

The dice not rolling the way that you want them to isn't the problem. The problem is that when you have two dice, probability dictates that the results fall on a bell curve, so that the result of a game is preordained if someone figures out the most frequently-visited spaces (jail) and sets up 7 spaces away from them (the oranges).

This mathematical phenomenon is why the number 7 is a key number in craps (it is the most likely outcome of rolling 2d6, followed by 6 and 8, then 5 and 9, and so on).
Settlers of Catan figured out the 2d6 7 needs dealt with, hence why it is the "Robber"  throw in that game

Scott5114

Quote from: 1 on March 15, 2021, 07:29:55 PM
1d12 won't help. It still follows a bell curve; the only difference is that it's over multiple turns instead of one.

Why would a fair 1d12 follow a bell curve? The only reason 2d6 follows a bell curve is because there are more ways to make 7 with 2d6 than there are any other number:

(Apologies for the quick and dirty book scan, but I couldn't find anything on the Internet that displays what I'm talking about this artfully.)

On a d12, though, there is only one way to make any number, so each number should theoretically come up 1/12 of the time. Unless I'm missing something on the math here.

The only weird thing would be the result of making 1 a valid throw. I don't know what the implications of that would be, if any.

Quote from: ilpt4u on March 15, 2021, 07:30:51 PM
Settlers of Catan figured out the 2d6 7 needs dealt with, hence why it is the "Robber"  throw in that game

Right, and it is also why the 6 and 8 tokens are printed in red. (Each of the tokens also displays a number of dots showing the relative likelihood of being thrown.)

hotdogPi

Over two turns, it would be 2d12. Over three turns, it would be 3d12.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.