New Haven road meet - official annoucement

Started by Duke87, June 04, 2011, 04:51:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke87

When: Saturday, July 23rd, at noon
Where: Southport Brewing Company (SBC), 1950 Dixwell Avenue, Hamden, CT (right off exit 60 on the Wilbur Cross Parkway)
What: reconstruction of the I-95/I-91/CT 34 interchange, a couple freeway stubs, a couple old signs, and more!

To RSVP:
Preferred method: list yourself as attending on the Facebook group.
Alternatively: send me an email at

Please RSVP by Monday, July 18th if you can.

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

vdeane

Debating weather or not to attend this meet.  New Haven is only four hours away from Sidney and it would be a nice opportunity to clinch most or all of I-84 in NY/PA, but I have to figure out if I can do it.

Similar story for central NJ.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Dr Frankenstein

I could use this to clich I-91. After that I'll only have a bit of I-93 left to clinch in Vermont's Interstates.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on June 05, 2011, 04:21:15 PM
I could use this to clich I-91. After that I'll only have a bit of I-93 left to clinch in Vermont's Interstates.

93 spurs off 91 - it may be worth it just to drive down 93 to the first NH exit and turn around

I figure you're coming via 89 from Montreal - take US-2 across from 89 to 91 as an alternative to the interstate
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Dr Frankenstein

I might consider it for the trip back to Montreal. Actually, if I get on U.S. 2, I might as well drive it all the way to its gap end in NY and go back home via U.S. 11, since it's the closest U.S. route from my home.

Going to the meet, I plan to simply drive I-91 from the border in order to clinch it. I was considering driving Vermont's I-93 as well while doing that.

froggie

Quote93 spurs off 91 - it may be worth it just to drive down 93 to the first NH exit and turn around

About 25 miles round-trip.

QuoteI figure you're coming via 89 from Montreal - take US-2 across from 89 to 91 as an alternative to the interstate

If you do this, beware of several areas of construction between East Montpelier and St. Johnsbury.  Plan on at least 10 minute delays in Danville alone.

vdeane

When I went on the Honors trip to Main in Fall 09 we took I-89 to VT 104, headed south to VT 15, and continued east to US 2, so that's a potential alternative as well.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Roadgeek Adam

Very likely I will go to this, that's not a very hard trip, and if there is time, maybe a Metro-North station or two to see.

(When confirmed I will email. I deleted my Facebook account and am permanently staying off. It is for the better by far. Especially when you have Nexis4Jersey continuously stalking you)

Reading HB's post below mine, I should add there are other reasons involved, but yes, I've nearly confirmed Nexis4Jersey is stalking me on several websites.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

hbelkins

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on June 09, 2011, 03:37:34 PM
Very likely I will go to this, that's not a very hard trip, and if there is time, maybe a Metro-North station or two to see.

(When confirmed I will email. I deleted my Facebook account and am permanently staying off. It is for the better by far. Especially when you have Nexis4Jersey continuously stalking you)

If someone's stalking you on FB, that's what "delete and block" is for. No need to permanently leave.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Laura

Super stoked that this weekend is completely doable for me. Take that as a yes.

Alps

Crossing east over the Hudson is rarely a problem in late afternoon. You may be better served taking 287 to the Tappan Zee, 684 if you want to drive that road, and you can come back via CT 25 or I-691 to I-91. Merritt may or may not be a huge delay leaving the city, but I-95 almost always is.

vdeane

I've just RSVPed for the meet.  Also have to decide on a route.  I was thinking of taking NY 8 to NY 206, getting on NY 17, and then taking I-84 into CT; from there I'm undecided on whether to go to I-684 to I-91 and taking I-91 south or going via one of the state highways as Google suggests.  Going back I was planning I-91 to I-95, taking I-95 to I-287, then I-287/I-87 to I-84, I-84 to I-81 in Scranton, then I-81 and I-88 back to Sidney.

Feedback welcome; you can see where I have/haven't been on my clinched highways site: http://cmap.m-plex.com/stat/travsummary.php?u=deanej&du=mi&sort=ra
I also plan on atteding the Central NJ meet so that's when I'd clinch stuff like future I-86, though I could divert on this trip if it wouldn't add too much time.

OracleUsr

I'll be in that area next week (flying to Rhode Island, but may hit Connecticut in parts), unfortunately too far for me to drive back in three weeks.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

Duke87

Note to anyone coming from the west via I-84: Exit 11 to CT 34 to the Wilbur Cross is the most direct route, but we will be covering much of it on the tour. CT 67 to CT 63 is a good alternative that won't involve double covering anything except a bit of the parkway.

If your clinching of interstates in the area is sparse, I-691 to CT 15 is loopy but also works (do note, though, that this leaves you an exit short of clinching I-691 if you do it directly. Use Exit 12/Preston Avenue to turn around if you want to get the whole route.)

Janko Dialnice

Quote from: Duke87 on June 28, 2011, 08:15:04 PM

If your clinching of interstates in the area is sparse, I-691 to CT 15 is loopy but also works (do note, though, that this leaves you an exit short of clinching I-691 if you do it directly. Use Exit 12/Preston Avenue to turn around if you want to get the whole route.)

Duke, thanks for mentioning this. From what I have seen on Google Maps, I-691 ends at the junction with I-91. The highway continues eastward as CT 66. That led me to believe that I had it clinched when I passed through there about two weeks ago.

That does give me an idea for my return trip, though. I-91 North to I-691 East to CT 66 East to CT 9 North. I have to see how much time I will have on Sunday.

Duke87

Quote from: JohnnyH1972 on June 30, 2011, 03:38:44 PM
From what I have seen on Google Maps, I-691 ends at the junction with I-91. The highway continues eastward as CT 66.

Yup. That's accurate.

Alps

Quote from: JohnnyH1972 on June 30, 2011, 03:38:44 PM
Quote from: Duke87 on June 28, 2011, 08:15:04 PM

Duke, thanks for mentioning this. From what I have seen on Google Maps, I-691 ends at the junction with I-91. The highway continues eastward as CT 66. That led me to believe that I had it clinched when I passed through there about two weeks ago.

That does give me an idea for my return trip, though. I-91 North to I-691 East to CT 66 East to CT 9 North. I have to see how much time I will have on Sunday.

I think he was saying that I-691 ends at I-91 - but not at CT 15, so if you take the 15 exit you'd get caught short. You can't U-turn via 91, so if you wanted to catch a piece of 15 AND clinch, U-turning would be the way to go.

Update in my plans: My ideal case would be to show up for the meet lunch and then just head out on my own from there. I'll see what happens.

Mergingtraffic

as a side note there are also the CT-72 and US-7 widenings that were recently completed or soon will be.  
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

hbelkins

Just how wide-ranging is this tour going to be? US 7 is a pretty good distance from Hamden.

Duke87

This is the tour.
We're not going to US 7, at least not on the main meet itself. The point was more about things to see on the way there or on the way home.
May be potential after-meet material, though, we'll see what people want to do.

Dr Frankenstein

I have a question... is anyone willing to share a hotel room or something?

hbelkins

Quote from: Duke87 on July 02, 2011, 01:55:37 PM
This is the tour.

Having had to cancel my plans to go to the Wausau, Wisc. meet this coming weekend, I'm now looking at coming to this meet as my summer journey. Trying to plan my route there and back to clinch I-684 in New York and Connecticut (which will clinch, for me, all CT interstates, believe it or not), I-287 in New York and New Jersey, and I-176 and I-83 in Pennsylvania. Therefore, I'm trying to determine where I will bed down for the night on Friday and Saturday.

Therefore I ask, how long is the tour expected to last and what time, approximately will it end? This will determine how far south I can get on Saturday evening after the tour is over.

Won't know for sure if I can come until the week of the meet, and more specifically the Wednesday before (still dealing with sick feline issues), but this is definitely on my radar screen now.

Duke87

Expect an average length tour, culminating probably sometime between 5 and 6, depending on how long lunch runs. The tour will tend in a southwesterly direction away from New Haven towards the end, so if you need to break off early you're already in the right direction.

Roadgeek Adam

Unofficially right now, it will be Daniel Case, his son and I going as I am likely going up to his place for the 21st - 24th.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

mtantillo

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.