News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Mini Montreal meet - Sat May 5

Started by AsphaltPlanet, May 02, 2012, 07:00:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AsphaltPlanet

I have to be in Cornwall Ontario on Friday afternoon for a meeting and I was thinking of heading to Montreal for Saturday and possibly Sunday to check out the city. I can see myself spending a couple of hours photographing the extension of Autoroute 30 for a couple of hours. I am posting thus here as an invitation for anyone who might care to join me.

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Dr Frankenstein

I'll be there if I'm not skiing. You have my phone number.... I think.

Alps

How much have you seen / are you looking for recommendations?

oscar

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on May 02, 2012, 07:00:37 PM
I have to be in Cornwall Ontario on Friday afternoon for a meeting and I was thinking of heading to Montreal for Saturday and possibly Sunday to check out the city. I can see myself spending a couple of hours photographing the extension of Autoroute 30 for a couple of hours. I am posting thus here as an invitation for anyone who might care to join me.

Sorry, I have a prior commitment for Saturday.  Hope to see you some other time, perhaps the potential Ottawa meet later this year.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

AsphaltPlanet

@Dr... I can't believe you can ski in May. You could barely ski in februrary in New York.  I'll give you a shout.

@Steve. I am pretty familiar with the project. I checked some of it out in September. I am hoping that there are no construction workers on site when I visit. I plan on walking some of the more interesting sections.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Dr Frankenstein

Actually, yes. I just got a confirmation regarding the skiing thing. (And it'll probably be my last day. :p )

Um. So I'm available all weekend EXCEPT for Saturday from 8 AM to 4 PM. :/

Regarding the potential Ottawa meet... I'm curious as to how many people are interested. To be honest I've been busy and I haven't had time to plan it yet. :/

AsphaltPlanet

I had been planning to attend the Ottawa/Gatineau meet but I might be taking a job outside of the GTA in the next couple of weeks that would be too far away from Ottawa to attend.

I'll probably cover some of the highlights this weekend myself too. I could see myself driving back from Montreal along the A-50.

vdeane

Well, I already have a roadtrip planned for Sunday, but count me in if this happens.  It's not like I'm that far away.

As for Ottawa, I'm interested but attendance is dependent of whether I'm available on a given weekend.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

AsphaltPlanet

Well, I'll be in Montreal for sure.  I haven't booked a hotel yet, but I am thinking of staying in Dorval for two nights, but I'll likely spend most of Sunday on the return trip to Ontario.

I am going to bring my mountain bike and am planning to cycle as much of Autoroute 30's alignment as i can

Duke87

I will be in Montreal Memorial Day weekend but not this weekend (too far away for such short notice, and I have other plans). As for Ottawa, I have every intention of attending that. Any ideas whenabouts it may be?
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Dr Frankenstein

I was actually thinking about Memorial Day...

AsphaltPlanet: I have Friday evening, Saturday evening and all of Sunday this weekend.

vdeane

Just let us know if/when the mini-meet is going on ASAP; I can move my Sunday trip to Saturday if need be but I have to know in advance.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

AsphaltPlanet

I am staying in Montreal tonight and on Saturday night. I don't plan to hang around Montreal for too long on Sunday to give myself some time to drive back to Toronto. If you want to come to Montreal you could meet me in the afternoon and then catch up with SmDr. Frankenstein later and grab some dinner.

vdeane

Sounds good; just let me know a place/time to meet up.  It will actually take me about 3.5 hours or so to get there as I plan to cross at Ogdensburg, take ON 401/A-20 to A-540 then take A-40 in.  At some point I'd like to take A-15 down to exit 2 (fudging a clinch at the border) and then back up.  Going back I plan on A-20 and A-40/ON 417 to ON 138 crossing at the Seaway Bridge, with spurs to clinch ON 34 and ON 417 (maybe; depends on time) to Ottawa.

We could probably explore some of the roads in the area before meeting up with Dr. Frankenstein, though I don't actually have a map of Montreal on me (will bring my Ontario atlas with me, but that doesn't help much east of A-540).

AsphaltPlanet

Ok. Well why don't you suggest a time and we can meet somewhere adjacent to the 40 on the west island.

vdeane

According to Google, it will take me 2 and a half hours to get to the west island from Potsdam via Ogdensburg.  Add in half an hour for customs, so if I leave at 11am, I should be there at 2.  Is that good?  I could also leave at 10 and aim for 1.

Alps

Quote from: deanej on May 04, 2012, 12:35:40 PM
Sounds good; just let me know a place/time to meet up.  It will actually take me about 3.5 hours or so to get there as I plan to cross at Ogdensburg, take ON 401/A-20 to A-540 then take A-40 in.  At some point I'd like to take A-15 down to exit 2 (fudging a clinch at the border)
You could use that one grade crossing immediately north of Customs, much less of a fudge

vdeane

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on May 04, 2012, 01:43:03 PM
Ok. Well why don't you suggest a time and we can meet somewhere adjacent to the 40 on the west island.
Could you let me know soon if you prefer 1 or 2 (I prefer 2 because then I don't have to get up as early ;)) and where we'll meet?

Quote from: Steve on May 04, 2012, 06:44:09 PM
You could use that one grade crossing immediately north of Customs, much less of a fudge
Indeed, exit 2 appears to be a lot further from the border than exit 43 of I-87 now that I look at it more closely!

AsphaltPlanet

Let's say 2. I prefer 2 as well. There is a mall at Exit 52 from the 40 in the northwest quadrant of the interchange. I was going to see if there was a coffee shop out in front but I hadn't made it there yet. Do you want to say in the parking lot adjacent to the freeway?  I drive a silver Pontiac vibe

vdeane

I'll meet you at 2 around the mall then.  I believe the most recognizable landmark (from street view at least) is the main entrance that says "Fairview Pointe Claire".  As long as I get exact details by 10:30 tomorrow things should be fine.  I drive a dark red 97 Honda Accord.

AsphaltPlanet

why don't we meet at the entrance off of Boulevard Saint-Jean in the parking lot to the north of that entrance.

http://g.co/maps/hj4wt

vdeane

vdeane

So apparently visiting a friend in Montreal for only a few hours invites lots of questions with customs (both Canada and US).  That or they were bored.

yanksfan6129

as for Ottawa...I was hoping for sometime later in the summer, perhaps july or late june at the earliest. that was just me.

oscar

Quote from: yanksfan6129 on May 06, 2012, 12:51:13 AM
as for Ottawa...I was hoping for sometime later in the summer, perhaps july or late june at the earliest. that was just me.

That would not work for me, since around that time I'll almost certainly be on the road far from Ottawa.

Memorial Day weekend would work for me, since I was already planning a separate trip to western Ontario around then.  But I'd need about a week's advance notice, since I'd have to bend my schedule and route a little to work in a detour to Ottawa.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.