News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Florida meet up

Started by Alex, June 19, 2013, 06:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

Anyone want to meet up somewhere on the peninsula at some point this summer (or fall even)? We can do some local roadding or we can just talk roads, plus I have two bins of road atlases and folding maps, from all over Florida and some from the southeast, that I would like to give away to fellow road enthusiasts (They are mostly early to mid 2000's Map and Globe street atlases, Mapsource atlases, and fold maps from Dolph, Rand McNally and chambers of commerce and other companies).

Not sure what projects are currently ongoing outside of the Tampa Bay area that are worth checking out. I certainly would like to revisit many areas and redocument them for the site including Orlando, Tampa, Miami and Jacksonville. There's the Crosstown Connector project still ongoing, work to build a new westbound carriageway for Interstate 275 from Dale Mabry westward, US 19 conversion to freeway in Pinellas, etc.

NE2

I'd be up for Orlando or probably Tampa Bay.
Not that there's much to see in Orlando. Constructionwise, there are a couple flyover projects and the first piece of the Wekiva Parkway, and old stuffwise there are a few old brick roads. Tampa-St. Pete has much more.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Duke87

I was planning on a trip to Florida sometime later this year. So, outside chance I might actually be in for such an event.

Wasn't planning on hitting the Panhandle, though, so Orlando or Tampa would be easier.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

hbelkins

Haven't been to Florida since I was on a band trip when I was a junior in high school. Have only been twice in my life. Might be a good fall road trip.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

US71

Not likely at this time. Late March works better for me ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

1995hoo

We're going to be in Florida for Thanksgiving week, although we don't yet know where (unclear which relative is hosting), so I might be interested that week depending on location.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

roadman65

Alex,
You, Brent, and I talked recently about setting this up somewhere in the state.  To all of you other road enthusiasts, if you are in to meeting in Central Florida (Orlando and Tampa Bay) sometime in the Fall we would love to have more to do it.

You suggested you had a good vantage point of the new Crosstown Connector where you can photograph it without tresspassing.  Plus, the new US 19 upgrades are interesting to see across the bay.  Plus, even the new Exit 275 ramps that should be open now, and I would love to see the new Bruce B. Downs flyover from SB CR 583 to SB I-75.

NE 2 is right, not much in O-Town, except for the flyovers and the JYP extension which you and Brent saw back in June.  I think the Fall primarily September or October (not the last week though for me as I will be in St. Louis) or November when it gets real cool might work.

Lets do it!

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Alex

To echo JP's comments, he, Brent (flaroads) and I have gotten together a couple of times to eat and shoot the breeze on roads this summer. We are looking to do it again in September or October, maybe coupling it with some local roadding wherever we get together next. If anyone else is interested, let us know!

QuoteYou suggested you had a good vantage point of the new Crosstown Connector where you can photograph it without tresspassing.  Plus, the new US 19 upgrades are interesting to see across the bay.  Plus, even the new Exit 275 ramps that should be open now, and I would love to see the new Bruce B. Downs flyover from SB CR 583 to SB I-75.

An easy place to view the Crosstown Connector work is from the parking lot of IKEA.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.