News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Chattanooga meet Sat., July 6

Started by hbelkins, June 20, 2013, 01:35:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Figured I'd start a thread on this since I didn't see anything mentioned other than a couple of notations in the catch-all 2013 meet.

Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/events/158183621023513/?ref=ts&fref=ts.

Hosts are Cody Goodman and Jason Ilyes.

Not many confirmed participants as of yet. I'm going to be there, but not confirming on the FB event page.

I will probably have to split from the tour about 4 p.m. EDT. Planning on doing US 127 down and US 27 up, or vice versa, to clinch both highways in Tennessee.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

codyg1985

Thanks for posting on here HB. I know it is probably short notice for a lot of you, but if we can get some locals to come it would be awesome!

The routing of the tour can be found here: https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zLF8lxjYMAkg.kRpDYOcl1bRE

We will be meeting at 11 AM at the Terminal Brewhouse located at 6 East 14th Street, Chattanooga, Tennessee 37408.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

hbelkins

11 a.m.? FB page says 12.

Not sure if I will stay in Chattanooga Friday night, or somewhere on the route (Crossville, Harriman, etc.) and finish the drive Saturday morning.

codyg1985

I meant to make it 11 Am local time but I must have put it in CDT instead of EDT. I will go change it.
Cody Goodman

agentsteel53

time zone sensitivity is great for events which are held simultaneously in multiple places (i.e. "conference call with Austin and San Jose offices") but really, there should be an override on Google calendar, Facebook, etc which says simply "event is held at local time".

currently, certain events during my upcoming vacation in Mountain time are shown as consistently one hour off, as my calendar sits in Pacific time.  those events will, upon my landing in Denver, magically correct themselves as my phone adjusts its concept of local time.  this will break the events which I have not bothered to label "Mountain time", because honestly it's a pain in the ass, and for planning purposes it defeats the purpose of a calendar to have everything shown 1 hour off, simply because the calendar sits in a different time zone than the event.

again, the solution is to have a special time zone called "local time" which always shows up as the same time, regardless of which time zone I am in, and regardless of which time zone the event is in.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

hbelkins

Chattanooga is right on the boundary between Eastern and Central Time. It's in the Eastern time zone.  When you leave Tennessee going west on I-24 and then re-enter after dipping into Georgia, you go from Eastern to Central time.

jpi

Steph and I plan to drive down Friday takeing a "back way" from my house in Lebanon, TN VIA Smithville\ McMinnville and Dunlap and staying Friday night. Sorry guys for the short notice on this but we all have been busy, between work and getting ready for my BIG road trip to the south west next month, been crazy but looking forward to seeing everyone at this meet! :-)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

froggie

Quoteagain, the solution is to have a special time zone called "local time" which always shows up as the same time, regardless of which time zone I am in, and regardless of which time zone the event is in.

Already exists.  It's called UTC or Zulu.

agentsteel53

Quote from: froggie on June 21, 2013, 01:23:51 AM
Already exists.  It's called UTC or Zulu.
no, this is not what I mean.  Zulu time is a well-defined exact time: approximately GMT, not observing daylight savings, with some leap seconds and other complexities thrown in.

what I am looking for is indeed an ambiguous time.  it is, say, "10am pacific daylight (GMT-7)" when I am in pacific time, and "10am mountain daylight (GMT-6)" when I am in mountain time... and it would be "10am GMT" if I were standing in Greenwich in winter.

if I set an event to occur at "10am zulu time", then my calendar would show it occurring at 3am when I am at work here in San Diego, and would show it occurring at 4am when I get off the plane in Denver.  so, using zulu time is not the solution.

basically, I want it to say "10am" on my calendar regardless of where I am, where the calendar is, where the event is being held... I have no idea what to call it - "Solipsistic Coordinated Time"? 

it would certainly be useful to describe, for example, the Chattanooga meet as occurring at "11am" without needing to take into account that the Facebook event was made by someone who happened to be in a different time zone.  in short, I want it to appear as "11am local time" for all readers in all time zones, because by the time they get there, they don't care that "11am central" is equivalent to "12pm eastern", so why show 12pm to anyone at any time for any reason?  it just breeds confusion.

jake@aaroads.com

froggie

Understand where you're coming from, but this is why most things operational (at least in those fields I work in) work in Zulu/UTC.  Don't have to worry about time zone differences.  12Z is the same whether you're on the East Coast, West Coast, Argentina, Somalia, North Pole, etc etc...

Laura

I really wanted to go to this, and I could make this work - I have off work the 4th and 5th, but Mike would not be able to go and it's a pretty long way to go by myself. (I can and have done trips solo - I find that they are much more fun and less lonely with friends and/or Mike.) Plus, I'm still contemplating spending the holiday with my family in Central PA, which is in the opposite direction.

jpi

Thats ok Laura, we will see you guys in August! ;-)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Brandon

Quote from: froggie on June 22, 2013, 07:23:12 AM
Understand where you're coming from, but this is why most things operational (at least in those fields I work in) work in Zulu/UTC.  Don't have to worry about time zone differences.  12Z is the same whether you're on the East Coast, West Coast, Argentina, Somalia, North Pole, etc etc...

Why not just use the old Indiana Time and guess what time it is in the county you are in.  A coin toss says you might be right or you might be wrong.   :biggrin:
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

agentsteel53

Quote from: froggie on June 22, 2013, 07:23:12 AM

very sensible.

as far as I can tell, Google Calendar doesn't have Zulu time as an option.  I'll bet if they did, though, they would still display the events in the local time zone of the computer doing the viewing, which is precisely what I am railing against.

jake@aaroads.com

jpi

Just a reminder this road meet is coming up on Saturday July 6 at 11AM Eastern time, hope to see you all there!!
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

hbelkins

I'm planning on it unless something happens.

oscar

I'm thinking about attending.  Since I'd need to leave Friday morning if I were to attend, I would need to decide by Thursday.  Is there an earlier RSVP deadline on the Facebook page (which I can't access)?
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

codyg1985

Just say something here the day before the meet and all will be good. :)
Cody Goodman

hbelkins

Is the US 41/64/72 bridge crossing the Tennessee River (the one visible from I-24 as you're heading west out of Georgia toward Monteagle Mountain) open now?

codyg1985

Quote from: hbelkins on July 02, 2013, 11:37:24 PM
Is the US 41/64/72 bridge crossing the Tennessee River (the one visible from I-24 as you're heading west out of Georgia toward Monteagle Mountain) open now?

It is not.

We will be stopping at a marina/gas station to take pictures of both the old and the new bridges as part of the tour, time pending.
Cody Goodman

hbelkins

Quote from: codyg1985 on July 03, 2013, 07:18:58 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on July 02, 2013, 11:37:24 PM

It is not.

We will be stopping at a marina/gas station to take pictures of both the old and the new bridges as part of the tour, time pending.

OK, then I know not to waste any time trying to clinch US 72 in Tennessee Friday evening.

I will probably have to peel off the tour sometime between 3:30 and 4, if we're still out on the road at that hour. My guess is that lunch will go pretty quickly since we seem to be destined for a small attendance, so the tour will probably go pretty quickly as well.

mtantillo

I will be there!  Last minute decision to go south instead of north for the long weekend. 

hbelkins

I read over the itinerary and probably will depart the tour route at #68. I probably won't go out to the bridge since I have been out there several times. I want to wait until the new bridge is built so I can clinch US 72 in Tennessee.

(That's dependent on time. If we are at that spot around 2 to 2:30 p.m., I may continue on).

What is the unsigned routing of US 127 after its signed ending at US 27? I need to drive it in order to get a clinch of that route in Tennessee.

codyg1985

It is the official routing of US 127 per the US-ends website.. We will be driving the entire length of it during the tour.

Here is the itinerary that HB is talking about. My apologies for not posting it here at the same time.
Cody Goodman

froggie

QuoteWhat is the unsigned routing of US 127 after its signed ending at US 27? I need to drive it in order to get a clinch of that route in Tennessee.

Basically east then south into downtown Chattanooga.  Dayton Blvd to Market St to MLK Blvd.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.