US-67 Extension

Started by shoptb1, July 11, 2010, 10:19:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgk920

Quote from: The Situation™ on January 09, 2012, 08:21:33 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on January 08, 2012, 12:08:09 PM
I can easily see US 67 NE of Little Rock, AR becoming a southwestward extension of I-57 when that entire highway is completed.  Although this is starting to devolve into a 'fantasy' musing, it would bring forth a dilemma with I-30 at Little Rock that is similar to that with I-29 vs. I-49 in Kansas City.

Mike
I've heard of it being an I-30 extension, so more likely your dilemma would be at the I-55 junction.

OTOH, there would be a short offset at I-40 in North Little Rock with 'I-57' instead of the direct feed at I-55 with 'I-30'.

Mike

codyg1985

I would rather it be an I-57 extension than an I-30 extension. Save I-30 for an eastward extension towards Memphis, Chattanooga, and/or Atlanta or Asheville (yeah, I know I'm going into fictional highways here). I just don't like I-30 continuing along US 67 northeast of LR).
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

NE2

Quote from: codyg1985 on January 10, 2012, 07:45:09 AM
Save I-30 for an eastward extension towards Memphis
That's called I-40.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

codyg1985

Quote from: NE2 on January 10, 2012, 08:00:07 AM
Save I-30 for an eastward extension towards Memphis
That's called I-40.

And that's called taking something out of context.
Cody Goodman

Grzrd

Quote from: qguy on January 07, 2012, 02:09:12 PM
Anyone know when the section under construction from AR 226 to US 412 is projected to be finished?
Quote from: shoptb1 on July 11, 2010, 10:19:23 PM
is there any freeway segment planned to connect US-67 to the I-69 freeway corridor over near Dyersburg, TN? .... a freeway connection from US-67 to I-155 and eventually I-69 would seem like a great thing
Quote from: mgk920 on January 09, 2012, 10:38:10 PM
Quote from: The Situation™ on January 09, 2012, 08:21:33 PM
I can easily see US 67 NE of Little Rock, AR becoming a southwestward extension of I-57 when that entire highway is completed.  Although this is starting to devolve into a 'fantasy' musing, it would bring forth a dilemma with I-30 at Little Rock that is similar to that with I-29 vs. I-49 in Kansas City.
Mike
I've heard of it being an I-30 extension, so more likely your dilemma would be at the I-55 junction.
OTOH, there would be a short offset at I-40 in North Little Rock with 'I-57' instead of the direct feed at I-55 with 'I-30'.
Mike
I had a recent email Q & A with AHTD regarding an estimated date when the AR 226 to Walnut Ridge US 63 interchange segment might be open to traffic and AHTD's long term plans for the corridor:

Q: I noticed on the ARRA link on the AHTD website that the grading and structures contract for US 67 from AR 226 to the Walnut Ridge US 63 interchange has an estimated completion date of Dec. 31, 2012.  With that date in mind, does AHTD have a projected letting date for a paving and signing contract, etc., and related to that, an estimated date as to when it might be open to traffic?

A:  Once the District can give a pretty fixed date of completion (that would have to be like summer) then we can schedule the paving project. Depending on the time of year it can be let will determine the length of time, but it will likely take two construction season — a pure guess would be by the end of 2015.

Q: Once US 67 is completed to Walnut Ridge, do AHTD and MoDOT have any looooong-term plans for a freeway upgrade to:
- either US 67 up to Poplar Bluff, MO and then along US 60 to connect to I-57 in Sikeston, MO?
- or along US 412 eastward from Walnut Ridge to connect to I-55 and I-155 at Hayti, MO?

A: AHTD is working on plans to extend the widening of 67 through Corning and to the state line. A final route had not been determined at this time.

US71

I would rather it be an I-57 extension than an I-30 extension. Save I-30 for an eastward extension towards Memphis, Chattanooga, and/or Atlanta or Asheville (yeah, I know I'm going into fictional highways here). I just don't like I-30 continuing along US 67 northeast of LR).

Someone posted a link once to the original Arkansas Interstate proposal, which showed I-30 continuing east from Little Rock along what's now I-40.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

cbalducc

Why does Highway 67 swing north to Pocahontas from Hoxie, AR instead of following the railroad northeast?  God bless.

US71

Quote from: cbalducc on January 17, 2012, 03:10:47 PM
Why does Highway 67 swing north to Pocahontas from Hoxie, AR instead of following the railroad northeast?  God bless.

My guess is AHD (now AHTD) decided it a was a large enough community to justify a US Route (62 didn't exist until 1930).
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

codyg1985

^ Curiously enough, the existing US 67 between Walnut Ridge and Pocahontas is four lanes undivided.

I wonder if the freeway will come close to Pocahontas or will it continue northeast?
Cody Goodman

NE2

You should see the loop west through Lauratown that existed in 1916: http://www.arkansashighways.com/planning_research/mapping_graphics/archived_tourist_maps/1916A.tif
It was straightened out into more of a sawtooth by 1924: http://www.arkansashighways.com/planning_research/mapping_graphics/archived_tourist_maps/1924B.tif
but remained until 1930: http://www.arkansashighways.com/planning_research/mapping_graphics/archived_tourist_maps/archived_tourist_maps.aspx
Also note the silly US 67E/W split at Searcy.

More relevantly, in 1916 the main road continued north from Pocahontas on current Highway 115. Presumably Missouri had some influence in getting the federal aid route to jog east to Corning (in other words, following what was then Route 23 rather than 21 north of the state line).

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

dariusb

If and or when US 67 is upgraded to a freeway all the way to St Louis will it be an extension of I-30?
It's a new day for a new beginning.

bugo

Quote from: dariusb on February 17, 2012, 03:13:00 AM
If and or when US 67 is upgraded to a freeway all the way to St Louis will it be an extension of I-30?

AHTD refers to the route as Future I-30.  I don't know what MoDOT calls it.

NE2

They call it US 67, because they don't see the need to eliminate all the minor intersections.

dariusb

Quote from: bugo on February 17, 2012, 03:14:26 AM

Ok thanks.
It's a new day for a new beginning.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on January 10, 2012, 03:32:27 PM
I had a recent email Q & A with AHTD regarding an estimated date when the AR 226 to Walnut Ridge US 63 interchange segment might be open to traffic and AHTD's long term plans for the corridor:
Q: I noticed on the ARRA link on the AHTD website that the grading and structures contract for US 67 from AR 226 to the Walnut Ridge US 63 interchange has an estimated completion date of Dec. 31, 2012.  With that date in mind, does AHTD have a projected letting date for a paving and signing contract, etc., and related to that, an estimated date as to when it might be open to traffic?
A:  Once the District can give a pretty fixed date of completion (that would have to be like summer) then we can schedule the paving project. Depending on the time of year it can be let will determine the length of time, but it will likely take two construction season — a pure guess would be by the end of 2015.

On March 20, FHWA approved AHTD's amendment to its 2010-13 STIP to allow for two base and surfacing contracts from Highway 226 to Highway 230 and from Highway 230 to US 63 in FY 2012.  Total estimated cost for the two projects is $56 million.  It may be possible to drive on this new section of the extension in 2015, indeed.  :clap:

EDIT

AHTD is moving quickly after receiving the approval.  The Highway 226 to Highway 230 section is scheduled for the May 2 letting:

THE PURPOSE OF THIS PROJECT IS TO CONSTRUCT THE PAVEMENT FOR 10.201KM (6.339 MILES) OF HWY. 67 IN CRAIGHEAD AND LAWRENCE COUNTIES.  THIS PROJECT CONSISTS OF AGGREGATE BASE COURSE, PCC PAVEMENT, ACHM SURFACE COURSE, RUMBLE STRIPS, EROSION CONTROL ITEMS, PAVEMENT MARKINGS AND MISC. ITEMS.
ROUTES:     67
SECTIONS:   15 & 16
COUNTY:     CRAIGHEAD & LAWRENCE
LENGTH:     10.201000 KM

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on April 21, 2012, 04:31:08 PM
The Highway 226 to Highway 230 section is scheduled for the May 2 letting

AHTD awarded a contract for this project on May 4 for a little over $12.2 million (page 5/8 of pdf).

Revive 755

Quote from: NE2 on February 17, 2012, 03:26:12 AM
They call it US 67, because they don't see the need to eliminate all the minor intersections.

More like MoDOT did not have the necessary funding to remove the minor intersections, see page 2/2 of
http://www.modot.org/southeast/projects/corridors/documents/67handout.pdf

Grzrd

Quote from: Steve on January 09, 2012, 08:21:33 PM
I can easily see US 67 NE of Little Rock, AR becoming a southwestward extension of I-57 when that entire highway is completed.  Although this is starting to devolve into a 'fantasy' musing, it would bring forth a dilemma with I-30 at Little Rock that is similar to that with I-29 vs. I-49 in Kansas City.
Mike
Quote from: Revive 755 on May 07, 2012, 06:48:24 PM
Quote from: NE2 on February 17, 2012, 03:26:12 AM
More like MoDOT did not have the necessary funding to remove the minor intersections, see page 2/2 of

This MoDOT map shows that the US 67 project mentioned in Revive 755's post is completely north of Poplar Bluff.  I'm assuming an I-57 connection would basically proceed along the US 60 corridor from Poplar Bluff to Sikeston, and would not include US 67 north of Poplar Bluff.

Interestingly, MoDOT's Butler County Route 67 Project will be a four-lane Route 67 shifted to the east of the existing alignment with limited access from the existing four-lane south of Poplar Bluff to a mile south of the Route 160/158 intersection.  This seems to be in sync with AHTD's new terrain US 67 east of current US 67.  Maybe MoDOT's long-term plans do call for a new terrain freeway US 67 from the MO/AR state line to Poplar Bluff.

Also, just glancing at the map, it looks like US 60 from Poplar Bluff to Sikeston already has several interchanges, but would need to upgrade some existing intersections to achieve freeway (interstate?) status.  At first glance, it seems to involve fewer intersection upgrades than the current US 71-to-Interstate 49 upgrade.

Maybe Missouri IS still on board to create an I-30/ I-57 controversy.

codyg1985

Quote from: Grzrd on May 07, 2012, 09:29:07 PM
Interestingly, MoDOT's Butler County Route 67 Project will be a four-lane Route 67 shifted to the east of the existing alignment with limited access from the existing four-lane south of Poplar Bluff to a mile south of the Route 160/158 intersection.  This seems to be in sync with AHTD's new terrain US 67 east of current US 67.  Maybe MoDOT's long-term plans do call for a new terrain freeway US 67 from the MO/AR state line to Poplar Bluff.

Unfortunately that project looks to include some at-grade intersections on the north end.
Cody Goodman

Grzrd

Quote from: qguy on January 07, 2012, 02:09:12 PM
Anyone know when the section under construction from AR 226 to US 412 is projected to be finished?

This article indicates that Arkansas plans to finish the project all the way to the Missouri state line in "four to six years":

And when it comes to roads .... And diagonally across the state along Highway 67. The goal is to extend the renovations to the Missouri line. The department is hoping to complete construction in the next four to six years

Seems way too optimistic to me.

Quote from: Revive 755 on May 07, 2012, 06:48:24 PM
Quote from: codyg1985 on May 09, 2012, 09:37:25 AM
Unfortunately that project looks to include some at-grade intersections on the north end.

As AHTD puts it, Missouri has had to back off of its commitments because of money problems:

but now a re-assessment for a direct connection to St. Louis.
"Missouri has had to back off their commitments somewhat," Ort says.
The issue as with all road projects: money.

It seems like Arkansas and Missouri are in reverse positions in terms of completing state line projects when comparing this project to the I-49/ Bella Vista Bypass.

Grzrd

Quote from: bugo on February 17, 2012, 03:14:26 AM

I recently came across this January 27, 2012 article in which Arkansas Governor Mike Beebe is reported to favor an Interstate 30 designation for the US 67 extension, but that he is also open to a "divided four lane" design that could later be converted to interstate grade:

The governor wants to see Highway 67 designated as Interstate 30, but is open to building a "divided four-lane" that could be expanded to interstate standards in the future ... Beebe also said he would support designating Highway 67 as a high priority corridor.

AHTD Director Scott Bennett was reported to have stressed the need for a feasibility study on the US 67 extension options from Walnut Ridge to the Missouri state line:

Several options are being studied on the route Highway 67 will take from Walnut Ridge to the Missouri state line. It is not known when an option will be selected. The Missouri Department of Transportation is awaiting a decision by Arkansas officials before extending the four lanes to the state line .... He stated the need to move forward with a preliminary feasibility study on all the Highway 67 options north of Walnut Ridge ... Bennett does not think the existing five-lane section between Walnut Ridge and Pocahontas could be converted to meet interstate standards.

Also, the US 67 extension and one other Arkansas highway corridor are top priorities for Gov. Beebe:

"Highway 67 in northeast Arkansas and Route 82 across southern Arkansas remain top priorities for Gov. Beebe,"

codyg1985

Quote from: Grzrd on May 21, 2012, 09:50:35 PM
Also, the US 67 extension and one other Arkansas highway corridor are top priorities for Gov. Beebe:

"Highway 67 in northeast Arkansas and Route 82 across southern Arkansas remain top priorities for Gov. Beebe,"

What about I-49 and I-540 through NW Arkansas? Or I-40 through Arkansas? Yes, US 67 is important but I am not so sure about US 82, and both of those IMO are certainly not as important as other projects in the state. Misplaced priorities.

Plus if they do build US 67 as a four-lane that isn't controlled access then it will take AHTD forever to convert it to interstate grade. They may as well build it out as an interstate grade facility now.
Cody Goodman

wtd67

Article on ABC station Kait 8 in Jonesboro about US 67

http://www.kait8.com/story/18574000/construction-surges-ahead-on-hwy-67-hwy-226

Construction surges ahead on Hwy 67, Hwy 226

Posted: May 21, 2012 1:18 PM CDT Updated: May 22, 2012 5:31 AM CDT
Posted by Keith Boles, Video Journalist - email

LAWRENCE COUNTY, AR (KAIT) - Mild winters and hot dry Springs and Summers are not great for farmers; but for road construction it's quite the opposite.

From the 63 overpass at Hoxie you can see the construction on 67 North, coming closer every day.

Brad Smithee the AHTD District 10 Construction Engineer and myself drove around the dirt work at the end of the pavement by Hoxie. Massive scoops dragged by huge John Deere and Challenger tractors were being used to dig sand out of a nearby pit and dump it on the new roadbed.

Smithee says this portion was the last part before the hook up at the overpass is complete.

"The project we're on today is between Highway 20 and 63 at Hoxie." Smithee said. "This project is approximately 10 miles long and we are approaching the end of the earthwork portion of this project."

Currently 67 is paved about a mile past the 226 overpass at Cash. Just recently a bid has been let to begin the paving between 226 and Highway 20.

Highway 226 is being expanded to a 4-lane to eventually tie with 49 by Gibson Switch. Crews from Dumey Construction had tractors with scoops working today to clear a barrow pit and begin the preliminary earthwork where the overpass will go over the tracks and the existing county highway.

Smithee said it's off to a good start. "That project was let in December of last year and has begun with the good weather that we've had and I think our estimated completion date for it is late 2013."

Smithee said that normally highway construction doesn't really get going until July when the last of the deep moisture is gone.

"This time of year is fairly rare for us when it's dry and at allows us to begin and do a lot more work throughout the summer." Smithee said. "Unfortunately the lack of rain is a good thing in the construction business for projects like this."

Joe Christian will lose about 2 farm acres to the construction of 226. Originally his farm just outside Cash was slated to have the highway bisect his fields but then it was decided to put it all on the North side of the current highway.

One of Christians main concerns is getting the road done so they can move farm equipment safely up and down the road. Christian says the bridge construction is taking too long.

Christian, "They don't work Fridays, I see them gone a lot of time I felt they should be working. Nice good weather you don't see them out here. I don't know how it works but I'm disappointed."

Smithee says while that is an understandable concern, each contractor has deadlines they have to meet, so it's up to the contractor when crews work.

Smithee, "A lot of those companies will schedule to start early in the mornings and they'll work 4-10 hour days or they may work 4-12 hour days but it's absolutely up to them to schedule that."

Smithee says that even though the dirt work on 67 is close to completion, they still have to build a large overpass just outside Hoxie and get out paving contracts on the 67 projects.

Smithee, "In reality, late 2013 up into 2014 would be a realistic expectation for the paving of these projects to be complete."

Also he said, even though the paving might get done early, the road is a turn-key project so it won't open until all the bridges and other work is completed.

rte66man

Quote from: codyg1985 on May 22, 2012, 06:53:19 AM

What about I-49 and I-540 through NW Arkansas? Or I-40 through Arkansas? Yes, US 67 is important but I am not so sure about US 82, and both of those IMO are certainly not as important as other projects in the state. Misplaced priorities.

One word: Politics.

rte66man
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

sr641

US 67 northeats of Little Rock is future Interstate 30.
Isaac

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.