News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

US holidays by tiers

Started by ftballfan, January 21, 2019, 11:04:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 23, 2019, 09:42:40 AM
What the heck is a shared MLK day/Robert E Lee day called? "Seeing both sides day?"

I grew up in Memphis.  We had a local MLK holiday years before the federal holiday was created.  However, the local holiday was in April, and was a commemoration of his assassination and its importance in the Civil Rights movement...and so that interested families could join in the observances downtown.

The year that MLK day became a federal holiday, the local public schools ended up having two MLK days.  The local observance in April had already been placed on the school calendar and political pressure precluded removing it; and political pressure also precluded not recognizing the new federal holiday in January.

A few locals, annoyed by there being two MLK days that year, chose to refer to the January observance by the name of the old state holiday: "Robert E. Lee Day".

I believe standard practice is to refer to the holiday by one name or the other...but usually not both.

abefroman329

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on January 30, 2019, 11:27:12 AMI believe standard practice is to refer to the holiday by one name or the other...but usually not both.
The sign I saw at a public library in Arkansas in 2014 read "Closed Monday for MLK Day/Lee Day"

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

bandit957

Today is National Bubble Gum Day.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Brandon

Quote from: bandit957 on February 01, 2019, 04:28:59 PM
Today is National Bubble Gum Day.

Then, by all means, bubble away.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on February 01, 2019, 04:40:05 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on January 30, 2019, 05:01:05 PM
Sports talk sequestered to https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=24378.0

Why is that other thread still titled 'US holidays by tiers'?

Confusing.

Because I couldn't figure out an overarching theme for it other than "sports stuff that doesn't need to be clogging up a non-sports thread".

SSOWorld

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 02, 2019, 03:15:20 PM
Sports talk sequestered to https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=24378.0

Confusing.

Because I couldn't figure out an overarching theme for it other than "sports stuff that doesn't need to be clogging up a non-sports thread".
You could have just left it alone.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

kevinb1994

Quote from: SSOWorld on February 02, 2019, 06:00:43 PM

Confusing.

That's what she said.  :bigass:

Scott5114

Quote from: SSOWorld on February 02, 2019, 06:00:43 PM

Confusing.

I could have, but it is part of our mandate to separate such threads, so that those who are interested in the original topic can participate in the discussion without being interrupted by something they don't care about.

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 03, 2019, 03:02:50 AM
those who are interested in the original topic can participate in the discussion without being interrupted by something they don't care about.

Except I can't, because now my "Unread Posts" list has two different topics named "US holidays by tiers," so I still end up following both discussions anyway.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hotdogPi

Quote from: kphoger on February 03, 2019, 03:36:57 PM
those who are interested in the original topic can participate in the discussion without being interrupted by something they don't care about.

Except I can't, because now my "Unread Posts" list has two different topics named "US holidays by tiers," so I still end up following both discussions anyway.

The other one is called "Re: US holidays by tiers".
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Scott5114

Point taken; I don't use that feature. I...tried to make it better?

hbelkins

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 05, 2019, 04:25:05 AM

Point taken; I don't use that feature. I...tried to make it better?

"Sports and holidays"

There's your new topic name.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ftballfan

Growing up, I generally had school on all four of the minor federal holidays (MLK, Presidents, Columbus, and Veterans) but always had Good Friday off (even when it didn't fall during Spring Break; if Good Friday fell during Spring Break, either the Friday before Spring Break or the Monday following would also be a day off). Also, when my parents were growing up, they remember most business closing between noon and 3pm on Good Friday (for example, being open 9am-noon and then 3pm-6pm)

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: ftballfan on February 13, 2019, 10:34:51 PM
Growing up, I generally had school on all four of the minor federal holidays (MLK, Presidents, Columbus, and Veterans) but always had Good Friday off (even when it didn't fall during Spring Break; if Good Friday fell during Spring Break, either the Friday before Spring Break or the Monday following would also be a day off). Also, when my parents were growing up, they remember most business closing between noon and 3pm on Good Friday (for example, being open 9am-noon and then 3pm-6pm)
When did summer break start/end?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

ftballfan

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 14, 2019, 08:03:05 AM
Quote from: ftballfan on February 13, 2019, 10:34:51 PM
When did summer break start/end?
Summer break usually started in early June (there were a few years where we got out in late May) and school usually started back up the Tuesday after Labor Day. Then again, our school only got two days off at Thanksgiving, 8-10 weekdays off for Christmas break depending on when Christmas fell, and a week for Spring Break (usually starting on the last Monday in March). Some schools in Michigan (especially in the Detroit area) get the third week of February off and have Spring Break later in April, but summer break doesn't start there until around June 15-20.

bandit957

When I was very young, we usually got Presidents Day, Columbus Day, and Veterans Day off, but those were gradually chipped away at, and they were gone by the time I graduated. Sometimes we had to go on Memorial Day too, because of some excuse our school district came up with. MLK Day wasn't an official holiday yet when I started school, but we were never off school on MLK Day after it became one.

Also, we were always the first to go back to school in August, and the last to get out in June.

Believe me, if there was a way to make us go to school on any day, they'd find it.

Scott5114

The thought of having to go to school on Memorial Day is bizarre–in Oklahoma, school lets out for the year before then.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 19, 2019, 05:23:11 PM
The thought of having to go to school on Memorial Day is bizarre–in Oklahoma, school lets out for the year before then.
Wow we stay in school til at least June 13th, sometimes as late as the 28th depending on snow days.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Big John

^^ The school year like starts in early August on OK (regional preference) while schools in other regions start the school year in early September, notably the day after Labor Day.

US 89

The way I've always understood it, an extremely late school year (like what RGT describes above) is common in the Northeast but not really anywhere else. My cousins in Massachusetts always had a schedule like that.

Growing up in Utah, a typical school year ran from late August to early June. I know we'd get Labor Day, MLK, Presidents, and Memorial Day off. Veterans Day was never a school holiday, and Columbus Day usually wasn't either -- though I think we got it off one year for some reason.

TheHighwayMan3561

I stopped getting Presidents' Day off in college. I had forgot the holiday even existed when one of my classmates asked a professor if we had it off.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

tdindy88

In my Central Indiana school district President's Day was a holiday depending on the snow day situation. There were years when I was off on that day and years where I had to go to school to make up a snow day. This year so far they had to make up both MLK Day and President's Day for snow days.

As for summer vacation if I ever went to school in June it was for the first two or three days at most. From middle school on school ALWAYS ended right before Memorial Day and thusly began in mid August. I always wondered if the Indianapolis 500 had something to do with making sure that Memorial Day was part of the summer vacation. Starting school after Labor Day is a foreign concept to me as I was always in school at least two weeks before that holiday if not sooner. Now my school district (years after me graduating) have school begin in LATE JULY. They at least do get two-week long Fall, Winter and Spring breaks.

bandit957

The Campbell County Schools always started earlier and ended later than the Covington Schools did, though Covington was the higher performing school district. I went to the Covington schools my senior year, I remember it being Labor Day and still not knowing when school was supposed to start.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.