News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

General NBA thread

Started by Roadgeekteen, December 27, 2018, 10:34:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Quote from: kevinb1994 on June 14, 2019, 10:55:58 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on June 14, 2019, 06:05:14 PM
Quote from: thspfc on June 14, 2019, 05:05:18 PM
I wonder if they named the team the Golden State Warriors, and not Oakland Warriors, with a possible move to SF in mind in the far future.

I wish they would change their name back to the SF Warriors. 99% of the time it drives me crazy when a team takes the state name or a variation thereof when there is more than one team in the league in that state.  I'm fine with the Arizona, Carolina, and Minnesota teams, and the Angels and Marlins did the right thing.  I'm looking at you, Florida Panthers.  The only exception I'm fine with are the Texas Rangers, because Dallas or Arlington Rangers sounds dumb.

Nah, Florida Panthers is fine, because to me, Miami Panthers just isn't working for me.

"Florida Panthers"  makes sense for that team because the endangered animal after which the team is named is the Florida panther. It's not like the NFL team in Charlotte or the old USFL team in Michigan, both of which use the name in reference to a cat generally.

I read somewhere that the basketball team in Miami was going to be the "Florida Heat"  until the league decided to expand to Orlando as well. The league then told the Heat's owner he had to use "Miami."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 15, 2019, 02:06:08 PM
Quote from: thspfc on June 14, 2019, 05:05:18 PM
I wonder if they named the team the Golden State Warriors, and not Oakland Warriors, with a possible move to SF in mind in the far future.

I wish they would change their name back to the SF Warriors. 99% of the time it drives me crazy when a team takes the state name or a variation thereof when there is more than one team in the league in that state.  I'm fine with the Arizona, Carolina, and Minnesota teams, and the Angels and Marlins did the right thing.  I'm looking at you, Florida Panthers.  The only exception I'm fine with are the Texas Rangers, because Dallas or Arlington Rangers sounds dumb.

Nah, Florida Panthers is fine, because to me, Miami Panthers just isn't working for me.

"Florida Panthers"  makes sense for that team because the endangered animal after which the team is named is the Florida panther. It's not like the NFL team in Charlotte or the old USFL team in Michigan, both of which use the name in reference to a cat generally.

I read somewhere that the basketball team in Miami was going to be the "Florida Heat"  until the league decided to expand to Orlando as well. The league then told the Heat's owner he had to use "Miami."

The pro teams in Arizona seem to have fitting state based names with the Phoenix Suns being the lone exception.

thspfc

Anthony Davis is going to be a Laker next season. Maybe now LA can contend with two superstars?

ET21

Quote from: thspfc on June 17, 2019, 07:58:14 AM
Anthony Davis is going to be a Laker next season. Maybe now LA can contend with two superstars?

They'll want a third (well I should say, GM LeBron wants a third)
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Verlanka

Stephane Dumas

I heard once then Phil Esposito who was the Tampa Bay Lightning General-manager at the time, was so angry of the name and shouted then Tampa Bay is also in Florida.

ET21

Another year, another Bulls team that sucks  :sleep:

Clinched:

kevinb1994

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on January 21, 2020, 08:23:28 AM

I heard once then Phil Esposito who was the Tampa Bay Lightning General-manager at the time, was so angry of the name and shouted then Tampa Bay is also in Florida.
Maybe that's why he's no longer working for them! /sarcasm

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

bing101

mgk920

They started last night.  I was grabbing a plate of wings for supper at a local sports bar (they have a good weekly wing special on Thursdays) and I didn't even know that there was a game on.

Mike

Henry

So far, so good...The NBA and NHL bubbles are working. BTW, my pick is the Lakers, for sentimental reasons.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Roadgeekteen

I'm so mad at Memphis right now, wanted the Suns.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Life in Paradise

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on August 13, 2020, 06:22:05 PM
I'm so mad at Memphis right now, wanted the Suns.
Although I understand the sentiment, Memphis was in the eight seed spot at the suspension of the regular season, so I feel for them as well.  If you want to be mad at a team, I suggest Portland.  Although they are probably the best team to take the Lakers to task, until the bubble, they really were playing at an outlier quality.

Roadgeekteen

ET21

I guess go Blazers. I like watching Lillard ball out

Clinched:

Henry

Well, it's not every year that the top seeds in both conferences go down 0-1. Has this happened before, or is it the first time?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Henry on August 20, 2020, 11:24:02 AM
Well, it's not every year that the top seeds in both conferences go down 0-1. Has this happened before, or is it the first time?

Big John

The Bucks postponed their playoff game today due to the Kenosha shooting..  The league followed suit by canceling all games today.

Roadgeekteen

Alps

Quote from: Big John on August 26, 2020, 05:43:31 PM
The Bucks postponed their playoff game today due to the Kenosha shooting..  The league followed suit by canceling all games today.
Word is the LA teams are boycotting the rest of the season.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Alps on August 26, 2020, 10:57:57 PM
LeBoycott the games

Henry

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on August 26, 2020, 11:11:29 PM
LeBoycott the games
I think a lot of fans will be done with the NBA if the season is cancelled for good. It'll be just like the 1994 MLB season, when it ended in a players' strike and fans of that league said they'd never watch another game again...well, at least most of them anyway.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: Henry on August 27, 2020, 10:41:05 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on August 26, 2020, 11:11:29 PM
LeBoycott the games
I think a lot of fans will be done with the NBA if the season is cancelled for good. It'll be just like the 1994 MLB season, when it ended in a players' strike and fans of that league said they'd never watch another game again...well, at least most of them anyway.

I don't think the NBA is done.  But I doubt what you are saying is accurate for a couple of reasons.  First, this is an odd season with the bubble and all.  Second, they would be quitting for a social justice reason and not a union contract related one.  Third, their audience is younger, more urban and therefore more "in tune" with this message than general fanbase of the other leagues are.

PHLBOS

I normally don't chime in on the Sports threads but I came across this article in today's Philadelphia Inquirer regarding the Sixers are targeting Penn's Landing for a potential new basketball arena & thought it would be of interest.

Granted, if this proposal were ever to happen at all; such would be years away.  The Sixers' current lease at the Wells Fargo Center expires in 2031.

The comments in the article are pretty feisty.  Opposition to the use of taxpayer funds to build this facility is coming from both liberals & conservatives.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.