News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Interstate 55/ Crump Boulevard Interchange

Started by Grzrd, May 26, 2017, 02:44:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on June 11, 2023, 06:27:59 PM
If used correctly roundabouts can handle a really good sized amount of traffic. Problem is people in the states just don't seem to know how or have the confidence to use them correctly.
Confidence is right.  It's amazing how many people don't go when they have an opportunity, instead waiting for the roundabout to be completely clear.  It's as if they don't factor in the fact that they will have moved on by the time they car they're yielding to gets to the point where they're entering.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Revive 755

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on June 11, 2023, 08:42:44 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 11, 2023, 07:52:15 PM
Come to Wisconsin. We have had many, many roundabouts constructed, and plenty more will be constructed in the future.

Or Indiana.

And both Wisconsin and Indiana have a couple good examples of overloaded roundabouts.

CtrlAltDel

Something interesting with the newest traffic configuration at the interchange is that southbound I-55 traffic now takes the northbound I-55 loop ramp (A in the diagram), since the area of the old southbound ramp (H in the diagram) is needed for the new mainlines.

I don't think I've ever seen a loop ramp used in the opposite direction before.

Quote from: https://www.tn.gov/tdot/news/2023/5/30/i-55-mississippi-river-bridge-closure.html
-          I-55 SB outside lane will be closed from the west end of the I-55 bridge through the project site and the SB inside lane will cross over at the east end of the I-55 bridge and share the current I-55 NB cloverleaf ramp with I-55 NB

-          I-55 NB outside lane of the cloverleaf ramp will be closed to allow for I-55 SB use
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

The Ghostbuster

I assume the Crump Boulevard Interchange was constructed the way it was, because the Memphis-Arkansas Bridge and the connection with W.E.H. Crump Blvd. was constructed before Interstate 55 and the connection to Riverside Dr. was constructed. Is this accurate?

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 15, 2023, 03:01:15 PM
I assume the Crump Boulevard Interchange was constructed the way it was, because the Memphis-Arkansas Bridge and the connection with W.E.H. Crump Blvd. was constructed before Interstate 55 and the connection to Riverside Dr. was constructed. Is this accurate?

Yes, as seen in the image below from Historical Aerials. The interchange between I-55 and Crump lies in the same location as that large intersection on the right, although I-55 doesn't follow the street, but moves a bit to the west.

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

ARMOURERERIC

Its basically acting like the NJ end of the Lincoln  Tunnel

intelati49

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on June 15, 2023, 03:23:51 PM

Yes, as seen in the image below from Historical Aerials. The interchange between I-55 and Crump lies in the same location as that large intersection on the right, although I-55 doesn't follow the street, but moves a bit to the west.

Wow. I forget the great resource of that site.

SM-G715U1

froggie

Someone should get down there and film the 2-way operations on the loop ramp while it's in operation.

davewiecking

Quote from: froggie on June 16, 2023, 08:32:35 AM
Someone should get down there and film the 2-way operations on the loop ramp while it's in operation.
This is the closest traffic camera I've found; still picture, but yesterday afternoon it was pointing along NB I-55 towards the bridge.
https://smartway.tn.gov/traffic/text/region/4/cameras/route/I-55/id/2207

bwana39

If used correctly roundabouts can handle a really good sized amount of traffic. Problem is people in the states just don't seem to know how or have the confidence to use them correctly.

Yes but the traffic from I-55 will be going too fast. The sudden slowdown is what causes a backup. As far as that goes, WB Crump will have to slow down for it.

I have no doubt they considered the traffic volumes. I am not sure the traffic conditions after the flyover is completed will be ANYTHING like they are with the cloverleafs.  Then again, it is Riverside to the North and Crump to the east that cause most of the backups already. 

I believe that the roundabout will cause the flyovers to have negligible improvement effect during rush hours. It should make it easier during low traffic hours.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

ran4sh

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on June 15, 2023, 02:10:20 PM
Something interesting with the newest traffic configuration at the interchange is that southbound I-55 traffic now takes the northbound I-55 loop ramp (A in the diagram), since the area of the old southbound ramp (H in the diagram) is needed for the new mainlines.

The express lane part of the Springfield Interchange (I-95 & Washington Beltway/495) has a loop ramp, which is used in "reverse" direction, for eastbound/outer loop -> southbound I-95 traffic.

And for another example that's similar, the I-95 & I-87 interchange in New York, is not a cloverleaf configuration but it does have ramps similar to "loop ramps" - in that interchange, SB I-87 to SB I-95 traffic, as well as NB I-95 to SB I-87 traffic, turns left 270 degrees to make a "right" turn.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

silverback1065

Quote from: bwana39 on June 16, 2023, 04:40:20 PM

Yes but the traffic from I-55 will be going too fast. The sudden slowdown is what causes a backup. As far as that goes, WB Crump will have to slow down for it.

I have no doubt they considered the traffic volumes. I am not sure the traffic conditions after the flyover is completed will be ANYTHING like they are with the cloverleafs.  Then again, it is Riverside to the North and Crump to the east that cause most of the backups already. 

I believe that the roundabout will cause the flyovers to have negligible improvement effect during rush hours. It should make it easier during low traffic hours.

What does speed have to do with it? Most off ramps have you decelerate to a stop at a stop sign or traffic signal. this just happens to be a roundabout. It should be fine.

Henry

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on June 15, 2023, 02:10:20 PM

Quote from: https://www.tn.gov/tdot/news/2023/5/30/i-55-mississippi-river-bridge-closure.html
-          I-55 SB outside lane will be closed from the west end of the I-55 bridge through the project site and the SB inside lane will cross over at the east end of the I-55 bridge and share the current I-55 NB cloverleaf ramp with I-55 NB

-          I-55 NB outside lane of the cloverleaf ramp will be closed to allow for I-55 SB use

I think it's interesting that they're now making the cloverleaf ramp two-way. I don't recall any other such ramp used this way, but I guess it makes sense given that the ramp has served as the NB through movement on I-55 for many years.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

dvferyance

Come to Wisconsin. We have had many, many roundabouts constructed, and plenty more will be constructed in the future.
There are too many as is. If anything some should be eliminated.

intelati49

Quote from: dvferyance on June 16, 2023, 10:49:37 PM

Perhaps. But IMO, too many is better than not enough.

Rothman

Wut.

Too many?  By what measure?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

bwana39

Quote from: silverback1065 on June 16, 2023, 08:08:21 PM

What does speed have to do with it? Most off ramps have you decelerate to a stop at a stop sign or traffic signal. this just happens to be a roundabout. It should be fine.

I guess it is the Texas showing in me. In Texas you might slow 10 MPH then  the exiting traffic would flow freely. I think everyone is underestimating the traffic volume through on Crump and Riverside during rush. I think everyone is looking at this SOLELY as an IH exit. Riverside and Crump BOTH continued for over half an additional mile until the first traffic signal. IDK about where you come from, but the roundabouts here and in NW Arkansas are used more as speed regulators than as a way to efficiently get traffic through an intersection. The existing intersection could and should be adapted for that motion after the IH through traffic is removed. OH well. I didn't design it. I am not directly paying for it.

rte66man

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on June 15, 2023, 03:23:51 PM

If you look closely, you can see where the old highway ran north at the first crossover west of the intersection of Riverside and Crump. It went under the Frisco tracks, turned sharply west and ran along the other track, passed under them, then turned west to climb up to the roadway hanging off the Harahan bridge.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

triplemultiplex

Quote from: Rothman on June 16, 2023, 11:00:11 PM
Wut.

Don't get him started again. :P
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Rothman

Quote from: triplemultiplex on June 20, 2023, 11:04:13 AM
Quote from: Rothman on June 16, 2023, 11:00:11 PM
Wut.

Don't get him started again.
My bad.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

codyg1985

There is new Google Street View imagery from August 2023 which shows the new ramp configuration at the I-55/Crump interchange where all traffic is diverted to the loop ramp in the northeast quadrant of the interchange.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

The Ghostbuster

It looks like the driver of the Street View imagery updated this month came from the west, looped around, and then proceeded southbound. Trying to follow any other movements through the interchange gave me Street View imagery from preceding dates.

bwana39

Quote from: silverback1065 on June 16, 2023, 08:08:21 PM

The traffic signals are nearly a mile away both on Riverside and on Crump. A whole lot longer deceleration lane. THis is not gonna be pretty....

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.